Secret Voices of Holywood - BBC4 - 29/09/13 2100

alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi folks,

This one just started...

Secret Voices of Hollywood
Documentary revealing the secret world of the `ghost singers', who provided the vocals that were dubbed for Hollywood screen legends. The programme includes footage of the classic movies in which the songs appeared.

Anyone watching?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    yes, didn't realise as per Rita Hayworth that they didn't even bother to use the same person to voice dub the singing in different films. And no one seemed to notice!
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh - Todd-AO filter-tastic print... the Flick Colby school of lighting and colouration...

"bright canary yellow" - so put in a sodding yellow gel..
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really enjoying this programme .... shame that they didn't just cast people that could sing. Loved the Deborah Kerr stories
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite enjoyed the documentary, was interesting how much dubbing went on, Marnie Nixon dubbing the likes of Deborah Kerr and Audrey Hepburn was interesting but you could understand why they did so,

Marnie Nixon was also the voice of the geese in Mary Poppins which didn't feature in the programme but Julie Andrews got the last laugh for not getting My Fair Lady as she won the best actress Oscar over Audrey Hepburn and it was Mary Poppins that helped secure her the role of Maria in the Sound of Music.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a good programme. I knew that a lot of dubbing went on, but not to the level shown.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member
    I'm glad this is repeated on Tues night 10.30pm. I was intrigued to know the stories behind the ghost singers and I was recording two things at once last night so I couldn't do this as well!
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it and it was interesting to find out that Marnie Nixon had done the voices for so many actresses in the movies. She had such a lovely singing voice.
  • peter_charlie20peter_charlie20 Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Although they covered Debbie Reynolds in "Singin' in the Rain", they actually missed the best dubbing story from that great movie. Debbie's character was also supposed to dub the Jean Hagen character's speaking voice as well her singing voice. Debbie had some problems with this (she was very young and inexperienced at the time) and so Jean Hagen did the dubbing for this. So it ended up with Jean dubbing Debbie dubbing Jean!!!
  • peter_charlie20peter_charlie20 Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    yes, didn't realise as per Rita Hayworth that they didn't even bother to use the same person to voice dub the singing in different films. And no one seemed to notice!

I guess that the films were released months or even years apart so the average moviegoer would only see the movie once and not remember with any clarity what she sounded like from film to film. Nowadays, with TV and DVD showings the difference would be much more obvious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess that the films were released months or even years apart so the average moviegoer would only see the movie once and not remember with any clarity what she sounded like from film to film. Nowadays, with TV and DVD showings the difference would be much more obvious.

That's a good point as there was no television showings of films back in the 1940s and 1950s unless you saw a rerelease. It shows how versatile Marnie Nixon was that her performances for King and I differed from My Fair Lady and West Side Story,

Interestingly, in some of the 1990s Disney film, the singing voices for some of the characters like Pocahontas, Jasmine and Esmeralda were done by Broadway singers like Judy Kuhn and Lea Salonga but they were credited unlike in the past.

Having seen Mamma Mia! I think that would have benefited from ghost singing for Pierce Brosnan, :D:
  • maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thought they might of mentioned Diana Coupland dubbing Ursula Andress for the singing.in Dr No. acually a lot of the actors in speaking roles were dubbed in the early James Bond series
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Although they covered Debbie Reynolds in "Singin' in the Rain", they actually missed the best dubbing story from that great movie. Debbie's character was also supposed to dub the Jean Hagen character's speaking voice as well her singing voice. Debbie had some problems with this (she was very young and inexperienced at the time) and so Jean Hagen did the dubbing for this. So it ended up with Jean dubbing Debbie dubbing Jean!!!

I didnt know that! :)
    Wasnt her singing voice (ie when Debbie is dubbing her singing) done by Betty Noyes? So you have Betty dubbing Debbie dubbing Jean :D
    I feel sorry for Christopher Plummer being dubbed in the Sound of Music, didnt think his singing voice is bad at all :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Wasnt her singing voice (ie when Debbie is dubbing her singing) done by Betty Noyes? So you have Betty dubbing Debbie dubbing Jean :D
    I feel sorry for Christopher Plummer being dubbed in the Sound of Music, didnt think his singing voice is bad at all :)

I think Debbie's high notes were dubbed by Betty Noyes rather than the whole song.

Pity there wasn't more about Camelot, by all accounts, it was a grim experience for all involved.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved this programme and learned some new things. I knew Marnie Nixon dubbed Deborah Kerr, Audrey Hepburn and Natalie Wood, but I didn't know she provided Marilyn Monroe's top notes for Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend.

And, by the way, doesn't Rita Moreno look great (and her segments were very entertaining too). That woman was in Singin' In The Rain!
    Forum Member
    I always thought Audrey Hepburn singing Moon River was actually her :o The gentle crooning suits the scene perfectly and seems so sweet :)
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The critic who described Oliver as an "American/British Musical" really got on my nerves! :rolleyes:

Apart from presumably putting up the money, what did Americans contribute to it? :confused:
    British story (Dickens) British score (Lionel Bart) British Director (Carol Reed) Filmed at Shepperton Studios.

And so the girl who really sang Oliver's song "Where is Love?" talked about her Father, the Musical Director, winning the Oscar for Best Score.....huh? :confused:
    No mention whatsoever of Lionel Bart! Disgraceful! :mad:
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always thought Audrey Hepburn singing Moon River was actually her :o The gentle crooning suits the scene perfectly and seems so sweet :)

She did sing Moon River. She was dubbed for My Fair Lady.
    Forum Member
    My mistake, sorry :)
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member

Yes - he didn't sound that different to the guy who dubbed him!
    I love Edelweiss in the film. It's sung with such emotion.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    I never knew Marilyn Monroe had help with the top notes on Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend.
    Knew about a girl dubbing Mark Lester in Oliver! but great to hear it from the horse's mouth!
  • Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You didn't find that out from a lecture by Helen McGregor did you? That's where I first heard it and was so intrigued that I googled it. Either it is an urban myth or Helen McGregor got her facts completely wrong as it was Betty Noyes who dubbed Debbie Reynolds:( so disappointed it's not true.
  • LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    I never knew Marilyn Monroe had help with the top notes on Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend.

I never knew that either. Would be interesting to hear what her original top notes were like if a recording of them still exists. My understanding was that she did all her own singing on her films - something she was proud of.

I missed the first showing of this programme so I'll try to catch the repeat.
  • Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trudi Monk wrote: »
    You didn't find that out from a lecture by Helen McGregor did you? That's where I first heard it and was so intrigued that I googled it. Either it is an urban myth or Helen McGregor got her facts completely wrong as it was Betty Noyes who dubbed Debbie Reynolds:( so disappointed it's not true.

Ooh unless you are Helen McGregor!
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Christopher Plummer had a decent singing voice for The Sound of Music but it did sound a bit quiet and weak in the footage shown, so I can understand why they used a ghost singer.

Good documentary, I really enjoyed it.
    Forum Member
    I think singing quietly and a bit nervously suits the part in a way, especially as the Captain mentions that he hasnt sung in years :)