Options

How do I go about getting compensation?

Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i was attacked by a group of lads in a takeaway one of them pushed me and I broke my foot.. I didn't bother going to the police because i couldn't remember faces etc.. Do compensation people need witnesses etc.. Or can I just ring and say this is what happend etc?

Comments

• Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear that Hank, hope you feel better soon. Don't know who you intend getting compensation from but guess that it will go more smoothly if you have reported it to the Police and have a crime log number. Have you thought that the takeaway may have CCTV or there may be a camera or two in the road. The Police can check, but only if you tell them, and the sooner the better.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    i was attacked by a group of lads in a takeaway one of them pushed me and I broke my foot.. I didn't bother going to the police because i couldn't remember faces etc.. Do compensation people need witnesses etc.. Or can I just ring and say this is what happend etc?

Where do you think this imaginary compensation is going to come from if you don't know who it was?

The mind boggles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I couldn't describe them they just looked like chavs .. No featured stood plus I was drunk
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Who do you want compensation from? The shop? The people who pushed you?
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Where do you think this imaginary compensation is going to come from if you don't know who it was?

The mind boggles.

There is a public fund ( cant remember the name) set up for people who are injured and the other person doesn't have money or they cant find them.

But think the OP isnt a serious poster anyway they seem to be everywhere this last few days asking silly questions and making daft posts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing funny about having a broken foot.. I can't pin point them because to they just looked like bog standard chavs.. I just wondered if I could get anything out of my pain.. Thanks anyway.,.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing funny about having a broken foot.. I can't pin point them because to they just looked like bog standard chavs.. I just wondered if I could get anything out of my pain.. Thanks anyway.,.

Witnesses? CCTV?
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I couldn't describe them they just looked like chavs .. No featured stood plus I was drunk
    Don't forget to include that in any claim you make.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claims complaines seem keen on handing out money.. They are adviertised everywhere
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only place to get compensation in the OPs case is the Criminal Compensation Board - but as the police were not involved, then no claim can be made.

Methinks he just wants easy money!
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

The mind boggles.

Assuming the OP is thinking about the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, why do you think he needs to identify the attackers?

Would probably be more convincing if there had been a crime reported, of course...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you sure it was someone pushing you that caused your injury and not just a drunken stumble?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was pushed.. People did help and saw then but one of them also took punch and left the scene quickly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Hi you don't need yo worry about having any evidence or official record of the incident. An injury is proof enough, it's not like people would try to gain compensation without them being at fault or a crime having actually been committed.

You can call up with your details but they tend to be busy this time of year so I'd advise writing to them. Just explain how much you want and fingers crossed it will come by the end of the year.

Write to S. Claus, North Pole and make sure to specify whether you want the money in sterling or chocolate coins.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll for a advice forum this is pretty pants.. remind me to pull teeth before i ask again for advice on here
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll for a advice forum this is pretty pants.. remind me to pull teeth before i ask again for advice on here
    I think you've been treated pretty leniently, really. I mean take a step back and look what you're saying.

You were drunk, you got involved in a fight with some yobs during which you fell over and broke your foot. Now you want us to pay you some money as compensation.

My advice is simple. Don't get drunk and stay away from yobs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was pushed.. People did help and saw then but one of them also took punch and left the scene quickly
    So you went to A&E and an x-ray confirmed the fracture? That's evidence enough, I would have thought, phone one of the injury compensation lawyers that are advertised on TV and see what they say.You may need to retrospectively report it to the police, but medical records may be sufficient.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, sometimes bad things happen - especially after a few drinks have been taken. If you had reported it to the police immediately then there is a chance that something would have been caught on CCTV or there might have been some witnesses. By not saying anything you make it seem as if it was no big deal until you realised that you could make some money out of the experience.

The compensation culture is going crazy in this country.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything seems to be worth a claim these days.
  • Options
    Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try applying for Judge Rinder.
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So why didn't you report it to the police? If there were witnesses like you say and CCTV then you wouldn't have had any issues identifying them. But you didn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because how can I track down the witnesses??.. Which is now even harder since I'm on crutches
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Because how can I track down the witnesses??.. Which is now even harder since I'm on crutches

Can you prove you were attacked? Via witnesses or cctv, Or could they just turn around and say you could have fallen down at home and injured yourself?

If you have no witnesses and no proof you won't get far
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Assuming the OP is thinking about the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, why do you think he needs to identify the attackers?

Would probably be more convincing if there had been a crime reported, of course...

I think the OP would definitely have to have a crime report to get Criminal Injuries Compensation. Cerainly, no ambulance chasers are going to bother with this incident if there is no one to sue. I doubt the takeaway's PI covers customers getting duffed up by other customers,
    A lot of people are attacking the OP for being drunk as if this somehow made it his fault. He was drunk but so what, does rape not count if the victim is drunk?

I was pretty drunk when 5 guys jumped me. I was unable to identify them, but did still go through the CICB (as it was then) process. It took about 2 years, involved me attending a hearing/interview and the submission of the original police report and photos of my cut-up face the day after the incident.

At the time I was a student, so the 2 grand was very helpful, but I do think to myself now, what was it really for? It just made me feel a bit better about the incident, a sort of monetary justice for me the poor victim. I'm certain I would have been far happier if the 5 scrotes got banged up for a year or more.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can the police not ask the takeaway staff?