Options

Just remembered why I buy Apple phones

tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
Forum Member
Three months ago I bought a Wiko Dual Sim Android phone from Amazon. Love the phone, amazing value for money, bought it for use in Kenya where I travel frequently on business and use multiple SIM cards. *However* it broke two months and a couple of days after receiving it (completely dead, won't power on). Then the sorry saga began. I contacted Amazon who politely told me to contact the 3rd party seller (Amazon are amazing when it's an Amazon product but it gets a bit iffy with 3rd party seller products). I did that and after a week I got an email response from the seller telling me because it was over 2 months old (just) they couldn't deal with it but I had to contact the manufacturer. They gave me a link to a completely different Wiko company than the one that sells phones. I pointed this out in a reply and 10 days later had heard nothing. Meanwhile I Googled the real Wiko and sent them an email but it went into a black hole and have heard nothing. I therefore yesterday contacted Amazon and asked them to sort it out for me. They then chased the 3rd party on my behalf who replied to me today saying they had already told me the situation and given me a website address i.e. just repeated their earlier email and I am back to square one.
If there was a UK supplier of this phone I would immediately buy another one and write off the original, but there doesn't seem to be.
All I know is that if it were an iPhone I would have an instant replacement, no questions asked. Now *that's* why I don't begrudge them their huge profits (reference another thread:))

Comments

• Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Surprised and saddened to hear that a well-known company such as Wiko is less than superb with regard to product support.

Wait... who?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Surprised and saddened to hear that a well-known company such as Wiko is less than superb with regard to product support.

Wait... who?

No-brand tech has no support. Who would have thought that :confused:

Not sure which is sadder - they fact the OP didnt know this or he decided to open a thread to gloat about it :D
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    So you bought a grey import from a French-Chinese company.

And then expected to have a UK warranty....

ok then....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rosetech wrote: »
    No-brand tech has no support. Who would have thought that :confused:

Not sure which is sadder - they fact the OP didnt know this or he decided to open a thread to gloat about it :D

I could have entitled it "Just remembered why I buy brand name phones" but it just seemed rather relevant to that other thread :)
    However, I did buy a Samsung laptop recently and got the complete run-around from Currys when I tried to get it repaired - so perhaps I *will* stick with the original title.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    So you bought a grey import from a French-Chinese company.

And then expected to have a UK warranty....

ok then....

No, I thought I was buying a product from Amazon, a company I like and respect.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Errr....Great. Pleased for you.....i think.... :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    I could have entitled it "Just remembered why I buy brand name phones" but it just seemed rather relevant to that other thread :)
    However, I did buy a Samsung laptop recently and got the complete run-around from Currys when I tried to get it repaired - so perhaps I *will* stick with the original title.

Just joshing - I hope you get it sorted.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to get a Nexus 5 replaced by Google last year and was expecting it to be a difficult process.

After contacting Google they accepted there was a fault and I had a replacement delivered the next day, along with a pre-paid package to send the old one back. It couldn't have been any easier or quicker.
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do samsung, HTC and LG deal with faulty phones, I have a samsung and are looking to get a note or equivalent soon, have delt with Apple a couple of times regarding phone issues, and they were always helpful. never had a issue with my Samsung galaxy yet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had to get a Nexus 5 replaced by Google last year and was expecting it to be a difficult process.

After contacting Google they accepted there was a fault and I had a replacement delivered the next day, along with a pre-paid package to send the old one back. It couldn't have been any easier or quicker.

Well it could have been quicker as I'm fortunate and live 10 mins from an Apple Store, but I agree that is great service and what I have come to expect from Amazon as well - just order another for the next day and return the old one at my leisure. But after Google, Apple and Amazon the rest are a bit patchy.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy an iPhone from an Amazon/Ebay tin pot seller abroad and I bet you get the exact same treatment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, I thought I was buying a product from Amazon, a company I like and respect.

You bought a Wiko phone. They are a French-Chinese company with no support for the UK.

You can buy many things on Amazon which aren't sold in the UK.
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    if amazon are refusing to refund you, and you paid by credit card ( or one backed up with visa ) you may be able to get your money back
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    deleted .. I shall not bother
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, they were meant to be setting up in the UK.
    I for one, had not heard of the label.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2597118/Budget-phone-maker-launch-super-cheap-mobiles-starting-60-UK.html

"Britain has been slow to take advantage of plummeting technology costs which are making smartphones affordable across Africa and Asia"

A bizarre non true comment methinks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    You bought a Wiko phone. They are a French-Chinese company with no support for the UK.

Yes, but I didn't know that at the time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Richard_T wrote: »
    if amazon are refusing to refund you, and you paid by credit card ( or one backed up with visa ) you may be able to get your money back

I wouldn't say they are refusing, they have chased the company. It's just proving a tortuous process, that's the only point I was making.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    A bizarre non true comment methinks.

You'd be surprised how much we over pay compared to the rest of the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    deleted .. I shall not bother

Phew :)
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    How do samsung, HTC and LG deal with faulty phones, I have a samsung and are looking to get a note or equivalent soon, have delt with Apple a couple of times regarding phone issues, and they were always helpful. never had a issue with my Samsung galaxy yet

When I had a fault with my Samsung, I took it to the store at Westfield. The would not replace it, they sent it back to be repaired and it took a week.

The store has now closed.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They could equally do the same with a MacBook, that's the retailer not the product or manufacturer.

I'd argue that the likes of Dell and Lenovo are actually better here, because for a very small fee they will give you on-site warranties on their laptops. Apple wants 10x the price for "drive it to the Apple Store" service. Great, when you are a 70 mile round trip away
    jaffboy151 wrote: »

HTC were pretty poor in my experience. They initially tried to claim my phone was German and from Vodafone (not SIM free as was sold), and even tried to claim that I'd have to contact Vodafone Germany to get it fixed.

After harassing the retailer they got it sent to an HTC approved service centre, after a month or two my phone came back fixed.

When it broke again with the same issue they then tried to say it was out of warranty (it wasn't) and after succesfully challenging that, they claimed that it had water damage (it didn't)

I don't plan to buy again from that retailer and from HTC. If I get an Android device it'll be a Nexus bought straight from Google.
  • Options
    Dr.FeverDr.Fever Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    I have had a few HTC phones and the customer support couldn't have been better, excellent service.
    A mate has had a Samsung phone, but not found their customer support that good.

But at least with a 'big' name brand it is easier to contact if you have problems.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Samsung sucks to have issues fixed/replaced. HTC/Google as mentioned above are not to bad. Nokia is ok but Apple does lead the way but of course that's mostly because they have the stores, online/telephone wise they can be a little long in the tooth sorting things out.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Is it not the case you buy an iPhone because you want Apple to have a 40% markup on the product they have just sold you?

I can see you don't mind this company going through your pockets - well done you. :blush:
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    Is it not the case you buy an iPhone because you want Apple to have a 40% markup on the product they have just sold you?

:

I buy an iPhone and know it's marked up to cover the after sales service only Apple offer. I know that should I have a problem with the phone I can walk into an Apple Store and walk out with a replacement phone in 20 minutes.

I see some of the price being used to pay for that level of service and don't mind it, especially as other top end phones are actually quite similar in price.