Survival of the Dead gets distribution deal

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
Forum Member
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a192056/survival-of-the-dead-finds-distributor.html

So GAR as finally secured a release deal for his latest episode in the "Dead" series, at least in the US. I'm not so sure this is good news.

Don't get me wrong, "Dawn" and "Day" are still in my personal top ten movies, and "Night" is absolutely iconic, but let's face it, George isn't the force he was. And this is coming from a genuine fan of his work. Knightriders is still one of my must sees too... but "Land" is okay at best, and "Diary" sucked undead dick.

I hope that he's found some of the old magic.... but I'm not holding my breath

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a192056/survival-of-the-dead-finds-distributor.html

So GAR as finally secured a release deal for his latest episode in the "Dead" series, at least in the US. I'm not so sure this is good news.

Don't get me wrong, "Dawn" and "Day" are still in my personal top ten movies, and "Night" is absolutely iconic, but let's face it, George isn't the force he was. And this is coming from a genuine fan of his work. Knightriders is still one of my must sees too... but "Land" is okay at best, and "Diary" sucked undead dick.

I hope that he's found some of the old magic.... but I'm not holding my breath

Diary and Land were terrible..unfortunately I fel the same way as you do. Diary was utter tripe as far as im concerned.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    I didn't mind Land of the Dead, but Diary of the Dead was quite rubbish. I have no high hopes for Survival so will wait for dvd, unless it's going straight to dvd?

I believe it got better reviews than Diary? sure it did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    I didn't mind Land of the Dead, but Diary of the Dead was quite rubbish. I have no high hopes for Survival so will wait for dvd, unless it's going straight to dvd?

I believe it got better reviews than Diary? sure it did.

Diary of the Dead was generally well received by the critics IIRC, one of the reasons why I no longer trust film critics, simply can't understand how a film so bad could warrant any acclaim.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Really? most of the reviews I read were nothing special for Diary of the Dead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Really? most of the reviews I read were nothing special for Diary of the Dead.

It depends, general reviews by Jo Public were scathing but I seem to remember quite a few critics were saying it was a great film. :eek: I particulary rememvber C4's website rating it considerably more than REC, which I found quite odd. Check out Rotten Tomatoes.
  • Nik01Nik01 Posts: 9,947
    Forum Member
    i think with the exception of "dawn" all of Romero's others were a little bad, but thats their appeal in a way, they are all movies that have to be watched, im sure this one wont be any different
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zombie films used to scare me senseless and to an extent (28 weeks/days later) still does although I know they are not 'zombies' in the true sense.

I enjoyed Land but on a humour level as it just wasn't scary in the whole and Diary was just rubbish, badly acted and just not scary on any level, I also have heard the new one is better (thought it was called Island of the dead though) but even then also heard a lot of bad reviews for it too, will have to wait and see and hope, I do think Romero has lost the edge in this genre now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering the decline in standards I find myself wondering whether Romero doesn't just come up with inventive ways for zombies to kill or be killed first, and the story and characters are just built around that.
    Let the dead rest, George!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with George A. Romero is that Dawn of the Dead is so ludicrously overrated that none of his subsequent films get a fair shake.

Land of the Dead should be viewed as the real Resident Evil film he planned to make & on that level it works just fine & certainly craps all over the official RE flicks.

Even the much maligned Diary of the Dead manages some swipes at the youtube generation.