Favourite Story from Each Doctor!!

13»

Comments

• Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benny_CHt wrote: »
    So as you can't cope with real life emotions you just want a lightweight gun-ho superhero suitable only for children's TV.

Yes, I can see why Matt Smith appeals to you.

I'm sorry? No, I just wanted my favourite Doctor to go out with a bit more dignity, that's all. But if you're going to use that attitude, perhaps you should take a look at amount of millions who like Matt Smith, and how popular he actually is before taking that arrogant attitude.
  • Options
    JohnBoy WaltonJohnBoy Walton Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, yes, I know you know that. But just pointing it up :p

I don't think "short-sighted" is the right word, somehow; that implies something different to me.

You are probably right, I just am so passionate about him and what a great Doctor he is and it somehow upsets me that some people will never know that. Just seems weird to lose out on it. Especially when the 4 series were so similar to the current DW format of 2005 onwards.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So as you can't cope with real life emotions you just want a lightweight gun-ho superhero suitable only for children's TV.

Yes, I can see why Matt Smith appeals to you.

I'm asking out of interest rather than trying to argue with you, have you seen any of the previous Doctors before Tennant and if so, what did you think of them? Is just Matt Smith you have issues with or is it every Doctor that isn't David Tennant? :)
  • Options
    scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    1st Darlek invasion of earth
    2nd tomb of the Cybermen (best pre 2005 story)
    3rd Inferno
    4th Genisis of the Darleks
    5th The Visitation (Fave Pre 2005 Doctor)
    6th Nil, zero, nada, but if i HAD to choose The Two doctors if only to see the brilliant Patrick Troughton one last time.
    7th. Curse of Fenric
    8th TV movie Shame there wasnt more on film.
    9th The Doctor Dances (are you my Mummy)
    10th Blink (strange that its Dr lite)
    11th Vincent and the Doctor (easily the best post 2005 story with the best post 2005 doctor)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    First: The Dead Planet (Or whatever we call the first Dalek adventure now - possibly I like this less for the actual prog and more for the memories it evokes in me from the Target novelization, which would be my castaway book BTW)

Second: The Invasion - Earth, Sixties, Mini skirts, Lethbridge-Stewart, U.N.I.T, Cosgrove Hall animation and Cybermen - top!

Third: The Green Death - winning the fight over Inferno for me and close third was The Sea Devils.

Fourth: Pyramids of Mars. So many to choose from - tomorrow it would be a different one, Ark in Space, Stones of Blood..........Talons..........Robots............Full.............Aaaaaaaaagh!

Fifth: Earthshock. Just the sheer pre-spoiler days of not knowing what was going to happen throughout the fifty minute part one, and the ultimate pay off still resounds in my psyche from all those years ago. An absolute classic by my reckoning.

Sixth: Revelation of the Daleks - Brilliance on a stick and head and shoulders above the rest, honourable mentions for Attack of the Cybermen and The Two Doctors.

Seventh: The Happiness Patrol - Just for the Hell of it.

Eighth: Ahem...The Movie? Pitch perfect, first time around. Lots of good audio though - probably Zagreus I most favoured.

Ninth: The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances - sheer joy, well creepy too. Love the banana.

Tenth: The Impossible Planet/ The Satan Pit. Great cast and story and a wonderful feeling of Doom throughout.

Eleventh: Mmmmmm. Jury is out on this. I absolutely think he's great, but none of the stories have cemented themselves yet in my long term psyche. My Son's favourite would be The Eleventh Hour, but I think mine so far would be A Christmas Carol. This one will definitely change in time I'm sure.

You know, there is a geek based but heart felt film to be made about Doctor Who fans called "When Saturday Comes", just a thought.

Five days to go.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    For me:

Doctor 1 - The Daleks' Master Plan
    Doctor 2 - The War Games
    Doctor 3 - Frontier In Space
    Doctor 4 - Genesis Of The Daleks
    Doctor 5 - The Caves Of Androzani
    Doctor 6 - Jubilee
    Doctor 7 - The Curse Of Fenric
    Doctor 8 - Sword of Orion
    Doctor 9 - Dalek
    Doctor 10 - The End Of Time
    Doctor 11 - A Christmas Carol

You didn't say we couldn't pick the audios...
  • Options
    Benny_CHtBenny_CHt Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm asking out of interest rather than trying to argue with you, have you seen any of the previous Doctors before Tennant and if so, what did you think of them? Is just Matt Smith you have issues with or is it every Doctor that isn't David Tennant? :)

My original Doctors were Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker and I never thought that they could be equalled. (That was judging them from a child's view)

Tennant did! And also Eccleston (But he didn't hang around long enough)

Troughton and Hartnell were before my time and as I have not seen much of them, I don't feel that I can judge them.

McCoy, Davidson and Colin Baker were the reason I gave up watching as they were all as insignificant lightweights as Smith.

Smith just doesn't have the gravitas. That is why Tennant and Eccleston brought back a kids show and turned it into a stunning piece of TV for everyone. (I know several people who wouldn't watch Dr Who if their life depended on it, but after watching one episode of the 2005 return, they were hooked as they were anything but the children's TV show that they identified Dr Who as.)

Matt Smith has McCoyed the new series and turned it back into puerile children's TV with his lightweighted silliness.

Tennant and Eccleston (as they were real actors capable of delivering real drama) made me care if they lived or died. With Matt Smith I'm very much on the Darleks side and would rip off their exterminator and do the job myself!

Who can forget the delivery of just one word from Eccleston to the Darleks? "No!" or Father's Day or the delivery of a very troubled Tennant in Family of blood (and it's second part)? - Where is Smith's delivery? All on one level of a naughty schoolboy leaving the audience with no care if he lives or dies. (At least with the second option there is a chance to save the show from a 14 year gap that resulted the last time they employed a boy to do a man's job.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 - The Time Meddler
    2 - The Mind Robber
    3 - Doctor Who and the Silurians
    4 - The Stones of Blood
    5 - The Caves of Androzani
    6 - Vengeance on Varos
    7 - Remembrance of the Daleks
    8 - The TV movie
    9 - Dalek
    10 - Blink
    11 - The Eleventh Hour (so far)

That's all as of today of course...

And for anyone who's never watched Hartnell, please do yourself a favour and check out a couple of his stories. The ones listed in this thread would all do nicely (leaving out episodes 2-4 of Unearthly Child).
  • Options
    inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First Doctor:The Daleks masterplan

Second Doctor:Tomb of the Cybermen

Third Doctor:The Time Warrior

Fourth Doctor:Talons of Weng-Chiang

Fifth Doctor:Enlightenment

Sixth Doctor:The Ultimate Foe (my all time favorite story!)

Seventh Doctor:Survival

Eighth Doctor:Blood of the Daleks

Ninth Doctor:The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances

Tenth Doctor:Blink

Eleventh Doctor:A Christmas Carol
  • Options
    inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My original Doctors were Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker and I never thought that they could be equalled. (That was judging them from a child's view)

Troughton and Hartnell were before my time and as I have not seen much of them, I don't feel that I can judge them.

McCoy, Davidson and Colin Baker were the reason I gave up watching as they were all as insignificant lightweights as Smith.

Smith just doesn't have the gravitas. That is why Tennant and Eccleston brought back a kids show and turned it into a stunning piece of TV for everyone. (I know several people who wouldn't watch Dr Who if their life depended on it, but after watching one episode of the 2005 return, they were hooked as they were anything but the children's TV show that they identified Dr Who as.)

Matt Smith has McCoyed the new series and turned it back into puerile children's TV with his lightweighted silliness.

Tennant and Eccleston (as they were real actors capable of delivering real drama) made me care if they lived or died. With Matt Smith I'm very much on the Darleks side and would rip off their exterminator and do the job myself!

Who can forget the delivery of just one word from Eccleston to the Darleks? "No!" or Father's Day or the delivery of a very troubled Tennant in Family of blood (and it's second part)? - Where is Smith's delivery? All on one level of a naughty schoolboy leaving the audience with no care if he lives or dies. (At least with the second option there is a chance to save the show from a 14 year gap that resulted the last time they employed a boy to do a man's job.

I think you and I have been watching two very different TV shows because the Matt Smith I've been watching is far better than both Eccleston and Tennant. Seriously, did you not see his speech in The Pandorica Opens, I'd like to see someone with your definition of an actor even attempt something like that!
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I personally think all the Doctor's were good, I may not like some of them as much as others, but I wouldn't consider any of them lightweight. They all brought something to the Series. The Doctor is The Doctor whoever plays him. His basic characteristics are the same and remained unchanged since Hartnell. And as I've said previously, the show is more than just The Doctor. What about the Companions, the Monsters, the TARDIS? And most importantly, the stories themselves.

I'm not a great fan of Ecclestone, but I admit, there were some really good stories in Series 1 which made you overlook that. Even Pertwee, another of my less fave Doctors, I forget about that and enjoy the story if it's one I like and there are several good stories from that Era.

When Colin Baker took over from Davison, didn't like him that much but I stuck with it because it was Doctor Who.And he's grown on me, now I think he's a superb Doctor! I wasn't keen on Series 5, but I stuck with it.

So I now ask you another question. All the Doctors you say were lightweight. Have you watched any of their stories. Do you enjoy them? Just curious to know what you thought!
  • Options
    handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1st Doctor - The first Dalek story (sorry, not good on ep titles from this era and no time to Google!)
    2nd Doctor - The Time Meddler
    3rd Doctor - The Green Death (changed my mind about three times then!)
    4th Doctor - The Androids of Tara (scared me to death as a child)
    5th Doctor - Eathshock
    6th Doctor - Vengeance on Varos
    7th Doctor - Battlefield
    Only seent he TV Movie with Paul McGann - must remedy that!
    9th Doctor - Father's Day
    10th Doctor - Human Nature/Family of Blood - with Midnight a very, very close second
    11th Doctor - The Lodger (just squeaks Vincent becasue it's a more traditional Who tale; creepy and funny.)
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    handymelon wrote: »
    1st Doctor - The first Dalek story (sorry, not good on ep titles from this era and no time to Google!)
    2nd Doctor - The Time Meddler
    3rd Doctor - The Green Death (changed my mind about three times then!)
    4th Doctor - The Androids of Tara (scared me to death as a child)
    5th Doctor - Eathshock
    6th Doctor - Vengeance on Varos
    7th Doctor - Battlefield
    Only seent he TV Movie with Paul McGann - must remedy that!
    9th Doctor - Father's Day
    10th Doctor - Human Nature/Family of Blood - with Midnight a very, very close second
    11th Doctor - The Lodger (just squeaks Vincent becasue it's a more traditional Who tale; creepy and funny.)

Try again on Troughton 'cos The Time Meddler is a Hartnell. ;)
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First Doctor - Keys of Marinus. I like the exotic imaginative world building - brains in jars, creeping plants, icy chasms, tracked by wolves, the trial. Each episode is different.

Second Doctor - Tomb, there is a reason it is everybodys favourite Troughton it is very very good. The cybermen are a good threat.

Third Doctor - Inferno. The end of the world becomes reality and we actually see it happen in front of our eyes and lose people we care about.

Fourth Doctor - The Brain of Morbius - a mad scientist trying to ressurect an intergalactic horror with a dangerous sisterhood, Igor and the best TARDIS team thrown into the mix

Fifth Doctor - Enlightenment. To be honest most of Davison were weak and flowery. This is flowery but it seems to work. His tougher adventures stand out more but this exempifies the Davison years.

Sixth Doctor - Revelation of the Daleks. A set of grotesques on a macabre planet steal the show in Colins only real great script

Seventh Doctor - Survival. Too many McCoys went wrong but this is a good solid adventure and I like the Cheetah people planet

Eighth Doctor - TheTV Moviem Default choice.

Ninth Doctor - The End of the World. Our first foray into outer space is a blinder and captures the enormity, strangeness and scale of the universe. Eccles is terrific

Tenth Doctor - The Impossible Planet. Not a fan of 10, Rose or RTD but this one was good with a terrifying battered planet, ancient evil and a nice base under siege. Murray Gold was good for once as well.

Eleventh Doctor - Amys Choice. So many good ones from Matts first series. I love the Dreamlord and his bitchy little asides winding the Doctor up. An original creation.

-