Options

Why do strangers think they can ask for a cigarette?

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    The other one I can think of is chips. If I'm out at night and get a bag of chips I can guarantee several men will come up asking if they can 'nick one'.

Yes that is a good one. Although they are normally drunk at that time of night. You don't get asked so often in the daytime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's like people who don't order a desert and then help themselves to mine. Get your own!

"JOEY DOESN'T SHARE FOOD!!"

Friends quote. :)
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I dont really mind but I smoke roll ups and people usually dont actually want them. I dont give them to blatantly underage people though

Once I was on a tube with a supermarket carrier bag and the woman next to me asked me for a yoghurt for her child - admit I said no to that one - though I do buy sandwiches and coffees for people who are homeless on occassion

there are things that annoy me loads more like being asked directions and if I dont know the person tutting at me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    :eek: Why on earth would he be trying to score free food if he can afford to go to France? :confused: Does he have no shame? :o

The poor person probably spent all his money traveling to France and paying for the cigarettes.

He didn't have any money left for food. :(
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    There was nothing micro about it.

The real micro aggression was her asking me, a stranger, for something she had no right to ask for.

Why didn't she have a right?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    I think it's totally cheeky to ask a stranger for a ****/drink/whatever. A friend of mine had a line when asked "do you have a spare ****/£1.00" etc and went on to say to say "don't know, haven't lived my life yet so no idea what might be spare". Kind of trite but worked...
  • Options
    MistylllMistylll Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I have seen some people picking used cigarette butts from the ground and smoking them.

I find this very strange and disgusting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a problem giving someone a ****, if they are polite about it.. I hate being walked up to on the street and someone saying "got a ****", my answer is no.

The same if someone asks me for a pound, if they are polite and i've got it on me, they can have it but otherwise they can by their beer with someone elses money
  • Options
    SochaSocha Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »

Yeah, I wondered too what country this is where the OP lives where people don't have the right to ask a question?

They can ask any question, the OP can give any answer.

They might get bored with each other if the question and the answer are always the same, but other than that I don't see a problem.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't go around asking strangers if they've got a spare can of coke, or a DVD, so how come I keep getting ask for cigarettes?

I don't even smoke. :mad:

I'd say that would be because their craving for their fix is at very low levels. You don't NEED a can of coke. You don't NEED a DVD. Smokers DO need their nicotine fix though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'd say that would be because their craving for their fix is at very low levels. You don't NEED a can of coke. You don't NEED a DVD. Smokers DO need their nicotine fix though.

That's a poor excuse. They don't NEED a fix that much.

And someone with diabetes would certainly need a can of coke if they went hypoglycemic and it was the only source of sugar available.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And someone with diabetes would certainly need a can of coke if they went hypoglycemic and it was the only source of sugar available.

A diabetic isn't addicted to sugar though. That sugar is beneficial to their body, unlike nicotine. The chances are, the diabetic probably wouldn't have enough energy to walk around asking questions.

Edit: You'd be surprise how strong a craving smokers get.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member

Don't bother, I don't think koan has ever responded to one of my posts!
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    Don't bother, I don't think koan has ever responded to one of my posts!
    Ha! He's responded to some of mine. Jealous? :p
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They must think they do, else why are they asking random strangers for a ****?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    A diabetic isn't addicted to sugar though. That sugar is beneficial to their body, unlike nicotine. The chances are, the diabetic probably wouldn't have enough energy to walk around asking questions.

Edit: You'd be surprise how strong a craving smokers get.

I'm addicted to sugar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    They must think they do, else why are they asking random strangers for a ****?

Then they need to take responsibility for their addiction.

I've come home feeling sick because I needed a can of coke, but I've never dared ask a stranger for one.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Mistylll wrote: »
    I have seen some people picking used cigarette butts from the ground and smoking them.

I find this very strange and disgusting.

I actually give them one - sometimes peole pick up butts and ask for a light - I always offer them one of my rolllies at this point...
  • Options
    SochaSocha Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Ha! He's responded to some of mine. Jealous? :p

I don't do it very often, but it's just about the right time to introduce this guy - :cry::cry::(
  • Options
    Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    555 wrote: »
    Perhaps they are of the mindset that other people should subsidise them. Do you know of such a thing?

Brilliant. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    I don't do it very often, but it's just about the right time to introduce this guy - :cry::cry::(

Where are your clothes! ?
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then they need to take responsibility for their addiction.

No disputing that.

But one person thinking another person ought to to X, Y or Z is an exercise in abject futility, unless the other person actually wants to do it.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sick of being asked for a cigarette, I was talking to somebody about it the other day.

In Birmingham the other week and somebody approached us saying "Gimme a cig" not to be judgemental but they looked off their heads and it was intimidating

Sick of being asked for money as well, sorry but I'm toughing up and not being as soft as I used to be