Options

Help Itchy Scalp

2»

Comments

• Options
    macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your replies. I am going to look into them :)

Next time I am at the doctors I will take a list of the things prescribed on here and see what he says :)
  • Options
    NonamooseNonamoose Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parabens is another chemical you could be allergic to.

I use the range from here... Faith In Nature because I have hyper sensitive skin and I've never had a problem since I changed to it. It's about £5 for a bottle of shampoo but it lasts for months.
  • Options
    hanndavhanndav Posts: 2,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have psoriasis and had a really bad scalp - not a good look when you wear a black jacket to work!

I used all sorts of potions and creams and one day when I had run out of my prescription shampoo, I bought H&S dry scalp shampoo and it's practically cleared up completely.

Shame it doesn't work on my skin though.
  • Options
    wh666-666wh666-666 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanndav wrote: »
    Shame it doesn't work on my skin though.
    As I stated previously, sunbed therapy will work. Just build yourself up a nice tan. Psoriasis is the accumilation of skin cells (rapid growth, etc) and UV breaks skin cells down and really helps. Worked wonders for a family member of mine with it.

You can use hydrocortisone cream as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macca@90 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies. I am going to look into them :)

Next time I am at the doctors I will take a list of the things prescribed on here and see what he says :)

While you are there it might be worth asking for a thyroid blood test. I had a really itching head for ages before I was diagnosed with a thyroid problem, as soon as I started on the meds it went away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wh666-666 wrote: »
    As I stated previously, sunbed therapy will work. Just build yourself up a nice tan. Psoriasis is the accumilation of skin cells (rapid growth, etc) and UV breaks skin cells down and really helps. Worked wonders for a family member of mine with it.

You can use hydrocortisone cream as well.

The sunbed, which has to be monitored at hospital, is good but you can only do so many and after a while it just comes back anyway.
  • Options
    wh666-666wh666-666 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sunbed, which has to be monitored at hospital, is good but you can only do so many and after a while it just comes back anyway.

You dont necessarily have to have it done at hospital, but if you do it in a tanning salon, you have to do it in moderation and on a regular basis.

It does come back if you dont keep doing it, but the same it true for any treatment ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wh666-666 wrote: »
    You dont necessarily have to have it done at hospital, but if you do it in a tanning salon, you have to do it in moderation and on a regular basis.

It does come back if you dont keep doing it, but the same it true for any treatment ....

AFAIK the UV treatment at the hospital is different to the salon. I dont think anyone should be going to a tanning salon regularly, especially to treat a disease, without medical obs.

Sorry OP, hope you found something to help.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    AFAIK the UV treatment at the hospital is different to the salon. I dont think anyone should be going to a tanning salon regularly, especially to treat a disease, without medical obs.

Sorry OP, hope you found something to help.

I agree.

It also doesn't always work, I used to have treatment in hospital and had to go every morning with a slow increase of time. I then had a reaction and was burnt. They tried all sorts even every other day etc and the same kept happening. It was then decided I should stay out of the sun as I had such a sensitivity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I had an itchy scalp recently, with some persistant dandruff/scabs *shudder*

I bought some (pure) jojoba oil from Holland and Barrett and rubbed it on my scalp and left it for 30 minutes before showering and it cleared 90% of the dandruff up.

It can be a little difficult to wash out - you may have to rinse twice, but my scalp feels (and looks) awesome!

These harsh anti dandruff shampoos do more harm than good, imo.