Carlito's Way

2»

Comments

• treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have to watch this again soon. I haven't seen it for a while.

I'm a big De Palma fan and I love his single shot scenes. I seem to remember that he excelled himself on this one with a scene of several minutes without a cut.

A lot of people don't realise until it's pointed out - like the station scene in 'The Untouchables' - but once you realise, it is riveting.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pacino's portrayal of the jaded good guy is perfection.

One of the rare post-Scarface films where he doesn't drift into 'Loud Pacino' territory too much. Donny Brasco is another. When he tries, he really is an exceptional actor.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,789
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Sean Penn is outstanding as the sleazy lawyer. I love it when Carlito tells him 'You a gangster now!'.

That is a great bit, the follow up lines where better, can't remember thenext line, I think it was something like "you can't learn from no book and definetely and this is the best bit and you can't have no late start"! :)

Carlito made many mistakes, mainly over Benny. He should either have "accomodated him" early on one way or the other, or have lsitened to the warnings from Ron/Sasso about him. He also should have maybe taken up the DA's offer for protection at the end too. This is why the name Carlito's Way was probably better to go with.
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Because there was already a Scorsese film called After Hours.

I read the books some time ago, worth reading.

I also like Q & A, a Nick Nolte film based on a book by the same author, Edwin Torres.

Yes I know but its not the first film to have its name used once. There was a Burt Reynolds film called Heat that was made around 1987 that I never biothered with and then in 1995 they made what must have been a better film with that name with Al Pacino and De Niro in it. Maybe that Warner Bros released both films or where the distributors was the reason why that was allowed?
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    great film... memorable ending ... i remember the song "you are so beautiful"... very haunting as used in the closing credits of this film...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "favour gonna kill you faster than a bullet"

Love this movie, might watch it this afternoon :D

Easily one of Paccino's best movies.
    Forum Member
    Those who haven't got it can buy it very cheap via ebay and probably on amazon too. I bought both "the prequel" and the film on a double DVD for about a pound on ebay and it was a brand new copy too! I already had a copy but I thoughtit would be a good idea to have more than one as most films get deleted over time and also there was more extras on another copy I bought too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Like Carlito's Way there are no exit signs."

Tip 'o the hat if you know the song without Googling.

Fantastic film, btw.

Manic Street Preachers 'Black Dog on my shoulder'
    Forum Member
    abrightyz wrote: »
    great film... memorable ending ... i remember the song "you are so beautiful"... very haunting as used in the closing credits of this film...

The music in general is brilliant, the best use of the music is towards the end with "That's The Way I Like It" as Carlito knew straight away why that mobster he hadn't seen for over 20 years was in his club.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    And it worked the other way as well, samples from the film have been used in music, most notably in Ghostface Killah's Soul Controller
  • TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best gangster film out there for me , always loved it and echo a lot of what has been said already , Pacino and Penn really were superb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Funnily enough I managed to miss the first few minutes the first couple of times I watched this. It was only over xmas when it was on tv that I caught the beginning.

Definitely works better not explicitly knowing Carlito's fate upfront, so for me the film is much better without the first scene. Still doesn't stop this film from being a gangster classic.

Bar his recent work and the disaster that was 'The bonfire of the vanities', Brian DePalma really has had a great run of films.