EU says Sky and Skype sound too similar

StigStig Posts: 12,446
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32593735

I'm not sure what annoys me more about this: the EU thinking that people are too stupid to know the difference between a satellite broadcaster and an Internet phone service, or that Microsoft didn't think of this before changing the name of its Lync service to Skype.

Comments

• oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't EU sound a bit like Eeyore I.e they are a bunch of donkeys?
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comment from Microsoft:

The case was not a legal challenge to Skype's use of the mark, it was only against the registration," she told BBC News.
    "We're confident that no confusion exists between these brands and services and will appeal. This decision does not require us to alter product names in any way."
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who cares what the EU think about similar names, when their WITCH HUNT against microsoft is ongoing .....
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If those EU judges are so easily confused maybe they should step down.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Witch hunt against Microsoft" LOL - Jesus wept.

If there is currently a witch hunt against anyone, it is Google.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Anyone who can stuff it up Sky has my vote every time.
    'To Skype' has entered the dictionary, sky is just that, the blue stuff above.
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32593735I'm not sure what annoys me more about this: the EU thinking that people are too stupid to know the difference between a satellite broadcaster and an Internet phone service

Actually, Skype had applied for a registered trademark in the following groups which overlapped with Sky's trademark: "audiovisual goods, telephony and photography goods and computer services relating to software or to the creation or hosting of websites"
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32593735

I'm not sure what annoys me more about this: the EU thinking that people are too stupid to know the difference between a satellite broadcaster and an Internet phone service, or that Microsoft didn't think of this before changing the name of its Lync service to Skype.

Lync and Skype aren't the same thing. Lync is a corporate IM/phone/video calling solution, Skype is obviously different.

I guess you could argue that there is some crossover considering that Sky offers phone services too.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,419
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Lync and Skype aren't the same thing. Lync is a corporate IM/phone/video calling solution, Skype is obviously different.
    Lync has been abandoned now in favour of Skype for Business so in a way they are sort of the same thing.
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet again the stupid eu nosing where it's not needed.

And SKY is the older brand name being used since january the 1st 1984
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Lync has been abandoned now in favour of Skype for Business so in a way they are sort of the same thing.

I stand corrected. I used to work for one of MS's major competitors in videoconferencing (our stuff actually worked) and got out before they announced this, I guess.

I can see it adding a lot of confusion if they're trying to blur the lines between corporate videoconferencing and consumer video calling
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    I stand corrected. I used to work for one of MS's major competitors in videoconferencing (our stuff actually worked) and got out before they announced this, I guess.

I can see it adding a lot of confusion if they're trying to blur the lines between corporate videoconferencing and consumer video calling

When MS uses the same name for different products it always causes confusion.

From the limited testing I've done, Skype for Business can connect with 'consumer' Skype, but it's not working well so far. :(
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I faintly recall that this problem was made media attention when Microsoft bought out Skype.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    "Witch hunt against Microsoft" LOL - Jesus wept.

If there is currently a witch hunt against anyone, it is Google.

I would strongly argue that in the world of tech Microsoft are the good guys these days. It's the likes of the fruity one and the mighty search engine that needs some closer scrutinisation.