The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• brbbrb Posts: 27,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone entered Time >:(! I don't know what it is about that song, but it just drives me crazy. Definitely up there with my least favourite ESC songs ever.

Mamo & Get A Life tho<3!

Great looking playlist.
  • ESC RossESC Ross Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avb wrote: »
    Losing the battle of the two Mad Show Boys entries, it's Music Thief.

8th: Mad Show Boys - Music Thief (Latvia 2012) - 71 points
    ESC Ross
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS24Fhi-AZk

12 nick1990
    10 thms
    8 Cuishla, brb
    7 Lisa.B
    6 Chickens hit
    5 BBAnne
    4 steeleuro_wolf, Jaccobabe
    3 Only_You, KozmicBlues
    1 weedydiamond

Delighted with 8th, especially after the reviews :)

As always, thanks to those who voted. Congrats to Spindiddly, and great hosting from Avb.
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one was particularly weird and the ending where he gave up on any notion of singing whatsoever was fitting, possibly an inspiration for this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxzgwJ8tSE0

15th: Rok Agresori - Kukuriku (Macedonia 2011) - 53 points
    BBAnne
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OgMgpuU0wA

12 Jaccobabe
    8 Lisa.B, thms
    6 Drew Peacock
    5 phill363
    4 nick1990, brb
    3 nunaney
    1 avb, sbrum1984, KozmicBlues

thanks for the votes everyone, specially the big ones! yeah, it was kinda rubbish, but one of my personal favourite wtf moments from a NF!

lovely looking playlist for this week, I nearly entered Ms Night in the novelty contest, two weeks in a row in a playlist would have been a record, no? ;)

Congrats spin and great job avb, definitely a contest for a re-visit in the future (RIP Dolly Style)
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one was particularly weird and the ending where he gave up on any notion of singing whatsoever was fitting, possibly an inspiration for this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxzgwJ8tSE0

15th: Rok Agresori - Kukuriku (Macedonia 2011) - 53 points
    BBAnne
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OgMgpuU0wA

12 Jaccobabe
    8 Lisa.B, thms
    6 Drew Peacock
    5 phill363
    4 nick1990, brb
    3 nunaney
    1 avb, sbrum1984, KozmicBlues

This was horrible. Should have won ;)
  • Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Crocodile has Cheburashka, Russian Bear has Little Mashka." The winner of the Mad Show Boys duel, this didn't really catch my attention at the time last year, but love it now after listening to it again in this.

6th: Mad Show Boys - I Need A Soul-Twin (Latvia 2014) - 74 points
    Chickens hit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs4BPqfyNUM

10 Lisa.B, brb
    8 Only_You, sbrum1984
    7 nunaney, BBAnne
    6 thms
    5 avb
    4 Drew Peacock
    3 TerryP
    2 ESC Ross, big bro geek
    1 Jaccobabe, Cuishla

Happy with this result. My most played song of all that we got from 2014.Thanks to all for the points. Congrats to spinny on the win, those bunnies still make me smile. Nice hosting by avb.

Can't believe Banjaxed Laura wasn't in the list.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurovision question in pointless.

Countries that participated in 2014.

No pointless answers. Montenegro was lowest
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil's Review

Iceland 2006 Gotta love a bit of Silvia Night, this is just crazy as hell, its a shame Europe didn't get it.
    Belgium 1983 Oh no not these two :(
    Poland 2008 Isis has had a downturn in popularity since the horse meat scandal and the rise of Islamic State, wonder which shade of Ronseal she uses, the song got 15 more points than it deserved.
    Georgia 2015 This lady is fierce , its good how she manages to stay calm and carry on whilst The make makes Piano malfunctioned back stage
    Israel 1975 This was a pleasant surprise despite his scary stares to the camera.
    Moldova 2013 I really wi8sh they had stuck to English, Aliona would have been top 3 then I think, its a great song though.
    Portugal 1984 Portugal are always underrated, if Portugal couldn't get on the top 5 with that I don't know what else they can do.
    Ireland 2009 I love this
    Switzerland 2015 only 4 points humph, I hope she was just the victim of a strong final and not just hated
    Ireland 1975 This is nice, its a shame Ireland don't send more Irish language entries
    Armenia 2011 I think it was the boxing theme that did her in and the fact that the song was 4 years out of date oh and the fact she couldn't sing, I like the song though.
    Iceland 2013 This was a very nice song that I think just got lost on the night.
    Slovakia 2010 See I think this is overrated with the fans, she comes across very nervous and the older lady yodelling ruins it
    Iceland 1997 Oh no its Scary Páll Óskar and his kinky sex party
    Slovenia 2011 Maja <3 she was indeed robbed like so many Slovenian acts, love this.
    Portugal 1981 Its the power rangers before they got really famous
    Russia 2009 I think the ageing image really put off the voters
    Germany 2015 I really don't know what happened here she deserved points I thought this was going to come about 15th
    Andorra 2009 I really like this, such a shame that it might be the last we ever see of Andorra
    Belgium 2004 I think this was just a decade or two too ate.
    Germany 1977 One of my favourites from the 70's, its got it all great vocals great dance routine and a bloody telegraph machine on stage
    France 2015 Oh Lisa :'( this really does come alive with the staging, she was robbed well and truly
    Finland 2007 Never realised just how botoxed up she was, I do really like this
    Israel 2012 I had high hopes for this entry when they where announced and I heard their other stuff, nice to have a glimps of Valentina though at the end
    Slovenia 2014 Tinkara was most definitely robbed, if it was the Serbian entry then people would have raved about it.
    Norway 2006 I think if it was the 90's a song like this would have been in the top 3 easily.
    Finland 2013 Krista <3 Going on 4th didn't help and the kiss at the end but she gave a high energy performance and rocked the stage, she's one of my favourite performers ever she was just crazy and I looked forward to all her backstage videos.
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Silvia Night - It's all downhill from here on in with the playlist. You can never have too much Silvia. An iconic Eurovision gem that the final casuals never got to see.

Pas De Deux - Quirky, 80s banger, so of course it unfairly died on its arse. Not the most lyrically challenging, but it's so catchy.

Isis Gee - I prefer batshit Poland, it definitely deserved a little better than it did though.

Nina Sublatti - "Warrior, iced lettuce", Nina: Warrior Princess, the true winner of 2015, even with the smoke machine disaster. :blush:

Shlomo Artzi - Well it's no Golden Boy, but a bit of a 70s Miami Vice-ish ditty is trying to escape in the background.

Aliona Moon - I prefer batshit Moldova, but unlike what I said about Isis, Aliona did a lot better than I'd have ranked her, sorry Aliona stans.

Maria Guinot - I'm normally on board with the Portugal just are underrated full stop bandwagon, but on this occasion they overachieved. There again I would've had the drunken duo passing as the Norwegian entrants winning that year, so that pretty much negates any credibility I may or may not have had! :eek::D

Sinead Mulvey & Black Daisy - An overlooked gem in one of Eurovision's strongest years, if not the strongest. Should've been top 15 really.

Melanie Rene - Where did it all go wrong? How the hell does PKN and the San Marino children outscore this?!?!

Sandie Jones - For all I know Sandie could be singing for the rising of the undead, but she makes it sound pleasantly jolly.

Emmy - Travesty Emmy didn't qualify, still listen to this regularly. :blush: Maybe one day Armenia will listen to me, but I wish they'd go back to this style they were doing pre-gap year and ditch the dirge they've taken a shine to post-gap year.

Eythor Ingi - Yeah the Celtic melody is pleasant, but Egg and Leaf has always left me cold.

Kristina - Ignoring the obvious failings, Horehronie is still a masterpiece now. One of 2010s finest, come back Slovakia. :(

Paul Oscar - Another outing for this. Paul certainly knows how to put on a memorable show that's for sure...

Maya Keuc - Bored of Slovene Xtina now.

Carlos Paião - Now this slice of Portugal is more like it. :D They worked so hard on that choreo bless 'em.

Anastasiya Prikhodko - burbs will be firing up his slapping hand again. What a dirge, many better songs than this screaming banshee didn't even qualify.

Ann Sophie - Yes the presentation was all wrong and yes I wasn't particularly fussed about the song, but no way should it have scored the dreaded nil. :eek:

Susanne Georgi - Et Cetera-lite. It says a lot for how strong 2009 was that I like this, but it only just troubles my top 25 of 2009. Please come back Andorra!

Xandee - 1 life, 1 nip-slip. Ruslana aside, this is one of the rare highlights of 2004, should've been runner-up!

Silver Connection - There was a few group songs in this vein back then, guess they all split the vote. Those are some snazzy outfits.

Lisa Angell - I get it, but it's just dull. Maudlin war ballads are just not going to get me dancing like nobody is watching I'm afraid.

Hanna - Whereas this on the other hand will get me moshing around the house. As with Portugal, Finland just are underrated. "I've gotta go crazy, just to stay sane", we've all been there.

Izabo - Of all the 2012 songs and you pick this? Just why? A deserved non-qualifier, truly awful.

Tinkara Kovač - The true winner of 2014, deserved so, so much more.

Christine Guldbrandsen - Entered a year either side instead and I'd have appreciated this a lot more. Still you can't go wrong with the Celtic vibes and looking like you've been attacked at a wedding. Speaking of weddings...

Krista Seigfrids - How fitting then to close with the bunny boiler that eventually got her feller down the aisle. Shamelessly fun pop, should've been top 10, but then so should most of Finland's songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just so you all know I will open heat 2 tomorrow so get your thinking caps on
  • UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Silvía Night - Congratulations [Iceland 2006]: I love this for what it is, but nothing more
    2. Pas de Deux - Rendez-vous [Belgium 1983]: One of my favourite Eighties Eurovision entries
    3. Isis Gee - For Life [Poland 2008]: Never felt anything for this, and it qualified which is good by Polish standards
    4. ნინა სუბლატი - Warrior [Georgia 2015]: Is this Lisa's entry by any chance? I like it, but I think it's position and popularity were justified
    5. [Israel 1975] ארצ ישלמה - את ואני: Not my favourite Israeli entry from their first decade
    6. Aliona Moon - O mie [Moldova 2013]: I considered sending this, although I would have chosen the semi-final performance as she messes up a little here
    7. Maria Guinot - Silêncio e tanta gente [Portugal 1984]: No wonder I couldn't remember this
    8. Sinéad Mulvey & Black Daisy - Et Cetera [Ireland 2009]: I considered sending this as well
    9. Mélanie René - Time to Shine [Switzerland 2015]: This impressed me on the night, I definitely think it deserved better
    10. Sandie Jones - Ceol An Ghrá [Ireland 1972]: I want more Irish-language entries
    11. Emmy - Boom Boom [Armenia 2011]: I was glad when this didn't qualify
    12. Eyþór Ingi Gunnlaugsson - Ég á líf [Iceland 2013]: Nice enough I suppose
    13. Kristína - Horehronie [Slovakia 2010]: One of my favourites from 2010, I wish it had done better at the contest but it's popular with the fans at least
    14. Páll Óskar - Minn hinsti dans [Iceland 1997]: This one has a bit of a cult following amongst fans, a following I don't quite understand
    15. Maja Keuc - No One [Slovenia 2011]: I like this song, as do many others
    16. Carlos Paião - Play Back [Portugal 1981]: This should be referred to more often
    17. Анастасія Приходько - Мамо [Russia 2009]: This will stand the test of time, there is some warmth towards it but not as much as there could be
    18. Ann Sophie - Black Smoke [Germany 2015]: I like the song, but to be honest I forgot all about the performance until the recap; still think it deserved some points though
    19. Susanne Georgi - La teva decisió / Get a Life [Andorra 2009]: How is it that San Marino has managed to qualify yet Andorra never did?
    20. Xandee - 1 Life [Belgium 2004]: Should I be ashamed that this is one of my favourite entries from 2004?
    21. Silver Convention - Telegram [West Germany 1977]: Isn't this one of the better known songs from the '70s?
    22. Lisa Angell - N'oubliez pas [France 2015]: I guessed this one would come up; it was definitely better on stage
    23. Hanna Pakarinen - Leave Me Alone [Finland 2007]: Gutted this got so few points
    24. Izabo - Time [Israel 2012]: I feel the positioning of the backing vocalists is underappreciated
    25. Tinkara Kovač - Round and Round [Slovenia 2014]: Another song I considered for myself
    26. Christine Guldbrandsen - Alvedansen [Norway 2006]: I'm shocked every time I remember how poorly this did
    27. Krista Siegfrids - Marry Me [Finland 2013]: A typical fan flop
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Portugal 84 was one of the best songs from one of the best contests of that era.
  • nick1990nick1990 Posts: 4,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Maya Keuc - Bored of Slovene Xtina now

I thought I had won with her last year so was surprised to see it here, but on checking it was the non-winning countries one! Was really confused!
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nick1990 wrote: »
    I thought I had won with her last year so was surprised to see it here, but on checking it was the non-winning countries one! Was really confused!

Yeah I'm a bit Keuc'd out at this point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lines open at 7:30 tonight
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I'm officially opening heat 2 of fantasy

The rules are pretty simple you can enter any song(via a PM to me) that hasn't been in Eurovision or in any NF line up or previously entered before (you can check on the wiki page here http://dsfantasyesc.wikia.com/wiki/DS_Fantasy_ESC_Wiki) , I will reveal the playlist on Sunday sometime after 8 and there will be a vote Eurovision style 12 10 8-1 during the week and on Sunday the 9th I will reveal the results. Remember you can't vote for your own song and failure to vote will result in a 33% points reduction and disqualification from heat 3.

Everyone is welcome to take part except for those disqualified last time who's names I'm sure someone will remind me of

Good luck and get PMing me :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I was thinking of doing the results a little differently this time, I was thinking of using Scorewiz and posting the individual voting links on the thread, just wanted to get some opinions on it first
  • nick1990nick1990 Posts: 4,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without being awkward...I like the scores the way they are at the moment, on the forum, one by one...but if the majority votes for a chance I'll go with it!
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say yes, it would make it interesting and more Eurovision like. :)
    Forum Member
    I prefer the normal way.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I prefer normal, just because it feels traditional and gives each song a 'moment',

But it's entirely up the host!
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm for the normal as well but you're the host so do as you please
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well every forum member would get there moment as well as the song, the way it would work would be like this

Next we have the votes from Anne the forum member behind The Blah Blah Song which is doing well in the voting at the moment and was one of my favourites

<Link to Anne's votes>

Some forum talk about the votes

Next votes

I was just getting some opinions on it anyway before I made a decision, I just thought it could have made the results a bit more exciting specially if it was a close vote
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I'm in favour of sticking to the normal way, I like our wee forum traditions.
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    Well every forum member would get there moment as well as the song, the way it would work would be like this

Next we have the votes from Anne the forum member behind The Blah Blah Song which is doing well in the voting at the moment and was one of my favourites

<Link to Anne's votes>

Some forum talk about the votes

Next votes

I was just getting some opinions on it anyway before I made a decision, I just thought it could have made the results a bit more exciting specially if it was a close vote

But then that spoils the surprise of what song belongs to who. Sounds more convoluted and hard work than the bog standard way, but that's just me.
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You guys are boring! :o
This discussion has been closed.