Options

Fear Her - Epic Fail???

Comments

• Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Fear Her. I wouldn't say that it's the best story we've seen on New Who by any means, nor even close, but I did find it enjoyable all the same. I've never understood why some seem to hate it so much.

42, by the way, was fantastic! "Burn with me"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Fear Her. I wouldn't say that it's the best story we've seen on New Who by any means, nor even close, but I did find it enjoyable all the same. I've never understood why some seem to hate it so much.

42, by the way, was fantastic! "Burn with me"

42 is better, but I have to admit, I rewatched Fear Her probably twice as often as 42... For all the thing that went wrong with it, it got one thing absolutely spot on in my opinion, Ten/Rose relationship. It's just the right balance of them having fun together, but also trying to help, to figure out the mystery, and getting into trouble along the way. They played off each other perfectly, shame the rest didn't grab me at all, and I can't tell if it's the story or its execution, but I have to agree with this:
    tombaland wrote: »
    i agree with the poster who suggested it should have been an epic 3 part finale as i still feel parts of that were rushed

certainly would have saved this needless and blatantly lazy stop gap episode

yes, it has its nice moments but all those are character bits that have little or no baring on the narrative and could have been placed in any other story

i think the best way to sum up fear her is to say if it didnt exist there would be no reason to invent it

Ok, I'm not sure if 3 part finale was needed, in retrospective, I like the fact that it was a break from usual structure of having 11th episode leading directly into the final story (I don't count that "storm is coming" line). But at the same time it's difficult avoiding comparisons with Boomtown, Utopia or Turn Left, which are all (again, in my opinion) waaay better than Fear Her, so...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Macek wrote: »
    But at the same time it's difficult avoiding comparisons with Boomtown, Utopia or Turn Left, which are all (again, in my opinion) waaay better than Fear Her, so...

Turn Left is better than Fear Her, but not Boom Town or Utopia, which are contenders for worst episode of New Who (in my opinion).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Macek wrote: »
    42 is better, but I have to admit, I rewatched Fear Her probably twice as often as 42... For all the thing that went wrong with it, it got one thing absolutely spot on in my opinion, Ten/Rose relationship. It's just the right balance of them having fun together, but also trying to help, to figure out the mystery, and getting into trouble along the way. They played off each other perfectly, shame the rest didn't grab me at all, and I can't tell if it's the story or its execution, but I have to agree with this:

Ok, I'm not sure if 3 part finale was needed, in retrospective, I like the fact that it was a break from usual structure of having 11th episode leading directly into the final story (I don't count that "storm is coming" line). But at the same time it's difficult avoiding comparisons with Boomtown, Utopia or Turn Left, which are all (again, in my opinion) waaay better than Fear Her, so...

I'd say excecution.....there is a story in there that at times is struggling to get out....

I agree....as much as I do like FH....as the eleventh episode....it doesn't compare to the likes of TL, BT and the magnificient Utopia....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh great, another episode of Daleks vs Cybermen, yeah that would have been worth it for all that witty banter they had...

Fear Her, IIRC was a late script due to the falling through of one of the planned episodes (was it the Stephen Fry one?) and feels a bit rushed as if it needs another go at script and direction plan before they made it, it has its good points (the edible ballbearings gag still makes me giggle, the scribblecreature is actually very well done).

Shows that Who can still do smallscale and do it well enough, its nice to have a breather from all of RTD's overblown overscaled big stuff at times and allow the characters and actors a chance to breathe, it can't all be space battles and daleks you know :D

I think its quaint and a nice way to draw breath before the big finale...

My only real complaint is the Mini, the number plate is wrong as the new version of the car has come out since it was filmed :eek::D;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I really don't like Fear Her.

It's one of the very few episodes in New Who that I find difficult to watch (along with Love & Monsters).

It's the girl I really don't like and I also find it far too cheesy for me. Which is really saying something as I'm a big fan of the cheese.

I'm quite happy for a small scale ep as it would have been a nice break before the big scale Torchwood episodes but I just really don't like it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    First time I watched Fear Her I enjoyed it. I think I've enjoyed all of them first time round, the only one that disappointed me was The Next Doctor, but thats only cos I was so excited, I really want to watch it again cos I think I'll enjoy it more, but thats another story.

Anyway, Fear Her yeah, when I thought about it much later I thought "nah its crap" but then I watched it and I really enjoyed it. It is very different to alot of the other stories but the characters are good in my opinion. The Doctor and Rose do some sleuthing, the plot has a darkness that you dont necessarily get first time, and it's got the TARDIS parked the wrong way bit at the start. I LOVE that bit.

Liek someone said before the small scale of it is appealing, and I personally think that it is a better build up to the last 2 episodes than making tehm a three parter. Could anyone have coped for 3 weeks with the episode starting with Rose saying this is how she died?

I loved the whole Utopia, Sound of Drums, Last of the Timelords 3 parter but it worked, I think, because Utopia was so understated. Nothing essentially happened for 38 minutes. The Doctor and Jack had a chat and then did some re-wiring with Martha, an old, clever guy and his beetle friend. And then it all happened. Still my fave 5 minutes of Who EVER! I still get goosebumps just thinking about it.

So yeah, I like Fear Her, it works, it took a while but it grew on me.
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Turn Left is better than Fear Her, but not Boom Town or Utopia, which are contenders for worst episode of New Who (in my opinion).

You've got to be kidding!?:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dirkster41 wrote: »
    First time I watched Fear Her I enjoyed it. I think I've enjoyed all of them first time round, the only one that disappointed me was The Next Doctor, but thats only cos I was so excited, I really want to watch it again cos I think I'll enjoy it more, but thats another story.

Anyway, Fear Her yeah, when I thought about it much later I thought "nah its crap" but then I watched it and I really enjoyed it. It is very different to alot of the other stories but the characters are good in my opinion. The Doctor and Rose do some sleuthing, the plot has a darkness that you dont necessarily get first time, and it's got the TARDIS parked the wrong way bit at the start. I LOVE that bit.

Liek someone said before the small scale of it is appealing, and I personally think that it is a better build up to the last 2 episodes than making tehm a three parter. Could anyone have coped for 3 weeks with the episode starting with Rose saying this is how she died?

I loved the whole Utopia, Sound of Drums, Last of the Timelords 3 parter but it worked, I think, because Utopia was so understated. Nothing essentially happened for 38 minutes. The Doctor and Jack had a chat and then did some re-wiring with Martha, an old, clever guy and his beetle friend. And then it all happened. Still my fave 5 minutes of Who EVER! I still get goosebumps just thinking about it.

So yeah, I like Fear Her, it works, it took a while but it grew on me.

Oh I beg to differ....so much happend in the 38 minutes.....Jack found the Doctor, the Doctor tried to runaway, Jack held onto the Tardis, The boys had a converstation about thier toys....the Doctor's views were challenged....and we found out he was being predjudice....Martha finally came to terms with the whole Rose thing, before she was jealous, but when hearing the Doctor and Jack talking, she finally understood. Yana was the complete opposite of the Master, yet the signs and hints were being placed very early on who he was, and also it was very parallel to the Doctor's alter ego of John Smith, who was quite opposite to the Doctor. The talk of human survival against all odds.....Jack was beginning to come to terms with being abandond.....so many character moments and developments.....and I know I have miised out quite a bit. Basically, a lot happend in the 38 minutes....it just went crazy in the last five minutes.....:D
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Oh I beg to differ....so much happend in the 38 minutes.....Jack found the Doctor, the Doctor tried to runaway, Jack held onto the Tardis, The boys had a converstation about thier toys....the Doctor's views were challenged....and we found out he was being predjudice....Martha finally came to terms with the whole Rose thing, before she was jealous, but when hearing the Doctor and Jack talking, she finally understood. Yana was the complete opposite of the Master, yet the signs and hints were being placed very early on who he was, and also it was very parallel to the Doctor's alter ego of John Smith, who was quite opposite to the Doctor. The talk of human survival against all odds.....Jack was beginning to come to terms with being abandond.....so many character moments and developments.....and I know I have miised out quite a bit. Basically, a lot happend in the 38 minutes....it just went crazy in the last five minutes.....:D

I think you summed the whole episode up! :D

Utopia is one of the best episodes of new who. When compared to all the other episodes before it at the time I thought it felt more like Doctor Who than any episode before it.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Utopia. A quarry. Marvellous. Not enough of them in DW, these days.

The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords were unfeasibly bad, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazellis wrote: »
    You've got to be kidding!?:eek:

No, definitely not. I hated Utopia and I don't know what any of its admirers see in it.

I also don't like Dalek and didn't much care for Girl in the Fireplace, also episodes seemingly much admired on here. Likewise, I loved Gridlock and 42, both of which seem to be generally despised on here.

I suppose we all have different tastes.
  • Options
    Stev0Stev0 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm suprised some people are naming some great episodes as weak, but everyone has their own taste I guess. For me personally it was Love And Monsters I thought was weak and don't really like very much, generally the Marmite episode to some people. The other "Doctor Light" episodes were fantastic but that one just didn't do it for me.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neu75 wrote: »
    Fear Her was epic fail from the get go.

Easily the poorest episode from the new era of the show...

I quite agree, although it's preferable to that disaster called Love & Monsters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stev0 wrote: »
    I'm suprised some people are naming some great episodes as weak, but everyone has their own taste I guess. For me personally it was Love And Monsters I thought was weak and don't really like very much, generally the Marmite episode to some people. The other "Doctor Light" episodes were fantastic but that one just didn't do it for me.

I'd agree that Love and Monsters was pretty much the worst, though Marc Warren and Shirley Henderson partly redeemed it.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Love & Monsters! A great story for Jackie, and it always makes me laugh, too. Stumbled over it on satellite the other daya nd ended up watching a whole chunk of it. "Clom". Marvellous.

I'll defend Gridlock, too. Fascinating mix of characters, and each little car thingie was uniquely individually designed. The religious bits fitted in far better here than in other stories.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member

OK so maybe a *few* bits and pieces do crop up. Infact, you're right, lots does happen. Those first 38 minutes just seem very understated. Yeah Jack appearing is exciting, but the rest has a contented feel to it. It's brilliant. Its my fave episode. I cant put a word on it, its just the "storytelling" of it. You're right about the Martha bit and the whole building up of the Yana character, and I especially love the bit between The Doctor and Jack. It's like a calm before the storm. Brilliant.
  • Options
    tombalandtombaland Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK so maybe a *few* bits and pieces do crop up. Infact, you're right, lots does happen. Those first 38 minutes just seem very understated. Yeah Jack appearing is exciting, but the rest has a contented feel to it. It's brilliant. Its my fave episode. I cant put a word on it, its just the "storytelling" of it. You're right about the Martha bit and the whole building up of the Yana character, and I especially love the bit between The Doctor and Jack. It's like a calm before the storm. Brilliant.

i agree very understated,

one of the best episodes and while crazzy is right that there are lots of moments i would agree with your original point that story wise not alot does happen for most of the episode if you compare it to most others
  • Options
    sqwidge1978sqwidge1978 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched "fear her" from series 2 yesterday, when I suddenly realised:

Chloe draws the world, right?

1) she is in the world, so wouldnt she then be trapped in her bedroom wall?

2)but her bedroom wall is in the world too, so she is trapped in her wall IN HER WALL.

etcetcetc. the universe's biggest paradox :D

thoughts??

The reason that she is not trapped in the wall is because she never completed the picture, as it was not just chloe that didnt apparently dissapear but the whole world, if she had completed it then you would have had the paradox.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good way to describe it.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The title for epic fail has to go to Midnight, with out doubt the worst story of New Who. I had to struggle to stay awake. Hard to belive it came form the great RTD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The title for epic fail has to go to Midnight, with out doubt the worst story of New Who. I had to struggle to stay awake. Hard to belive it came form the great RTD.

:D Just goes to show that it is impossible to have a set way or rules of what makes a story successful or not....

That is my favourite Who story ever, in fact best piece of television for me ever!!!!!!!!!! Epic success for me....:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Midnight seems to be one you either really love or really hate. I thought it was terrific; the best story from Season 4 for me.
  • Options
    JessicaLJessicaL Posts: 3,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Just goes to show that it is impossible to have a set way or rules of what makes a story successful or not....

That is my favourite Who story ever, in fact best piece of television for me ever!!!!!!!!!! Epic success for me....:D

I adore Midnight -my new Who fave epic success totally agree :D
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I'm not a huge expert, but Child abuse comes in all sorts of forms....and the dialougue you quoted is the the pattern that parents who try or want to protect their kids from their abusive partners see in their dreams.....[/QUOTE]

i was mainly irritated because the way chloe and her mum reacted to the nightmare dad made it seem like "im coming to hurt you!" is the way most abusive parents would threaten their child. im no expert, but i hardly think this is the case.

anyhoo, the whole episode was annoying for me anyway :D:p