The LOM/A2A "Hang on a minute" Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
Forum Member
So with the entire story arc concluded, it occurs to me that there may be some unanswered questions floating around. Here are mine.... feel free to expand the list, or offer solutions .

Sam Tyler.... Suicide or Illusion?

Sam made it home, only to take a swan dive of the roof and return to the bosom of the "Heavily Armed Bastids". but...
if Sam was indeed in Sweeney purgatory, did he actually return to his own time, or just an anteroom of the purgatory scenario?

Viv... one of Hell's minions?

Viv's death at the hands of the prison inmates... does this mean that he failed in his attempt to conquer his "issues" or was he just an illusion all along? Is everyone in purgatory there to find their way "to the pub" or are some in the service of Demon Keats?

Keats... the Big guy from downstairs, or just middle management?
Keats, while obviously satanic, never struck me as actually being "Big Red". Was he just upper echelon demonic, trying to get a promotion, or was he really Mephistopheles himself?

Chris... how many chances DO you get?
Chris was basically a screwup from day one... Did Gene really have that much influence over the final outcome, or was Chris supposed to "take the lift"?

Over to you.... but I may add more later..

On a different Subject... a question for the mods.

having just done a quick tally up, on the first two pages of cult threads alone, there are over thrity threads on LOST. I realise this is due to the series ending, but perhaps it's time to give this whole subject "the doctor Who treatment"... just a thought

"Gene Hunt - God's personal Jack Regan"

Comments

• Ms BrightsideMs Brightside Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose I like the fact that the ending answered all the main questions, but left a lot of little ones for us to ponder. There's obviously no way they were going to tie up 5 series of questions in 1 hour.

The one question I still want to know is what Gene said to Bevan, which was supposedly "the truth"
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course Sam really woke up and went back to his real life, Alex is the evidence for this, she knew all about his dream world and suicide.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    On a lighter note...
    Since the final ep pretty much confirms Catholicism to be the truth ( Heaven, Purgatory, Hell Scenario)...... What the Hell is going to Happen to Tom Cruise when he finds out that Scientology is, in fact, utter bollocks?

Whaddyamean it was only a TV show?...
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a lighter note...
    Since the final ep pretty much confirms Catholicism to be the truth ( Heaven, Purgatory, Hell Scenario)...... What the Hell is going to Happen to Tom Cruise when he finds out that Scientology is, in fact, utter bollocks?

Whaddyamean it was only a TV show?...

He'll tell god that he doesn't know the afterlife like Tom knows the afterlife. Then he'll jump up and down on his sofa for a bit.

Then burn.

:D
  • Indigo_19Indigo_19 Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ending means Catholicism is right? I am even more depressed now...
  • PoppyHoneyPoppyHoney Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Now, none of that Indigo; where do you think Christianity started?
  • SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't mean Catholicism is correct (although I realise that was a joke). Religion doesn't have to play a part at all.

If you can imagine a quantum holographic universe, where, as well as 'reality', there are infinite numbers of afterlife dimensions, then Gene's plane was one of many at different levels of permanence and sophistication. What we might call 'Heaven' is simply the highest plane a soul can ascend to, but there are trials and obstacles that need to be overcome before attaining what the Hindus call Brahman.

You can get very metaphysical about it but imagining that these afterlife dimensions exist doesn't mean any particular religion is 'right'. Religions just give names to difficult concepts, which get watered down into notions of 'heaven' and 'hell'.

Quantum physics could explain it all, but I don't think our brains have the proper 'software' to understand it. It could be like trying to install a complex program like Photoshop onto an old DOS computer from the 80s, it just can't handle it...
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keats... the Big guy from downstairs, or just middle management? Keats, while obviously satanic, never struck me as actually being "Big Red". Was he just upper echelon demonic, trying to get a promotion, or was he really Mephistopheles himself?

I don't think he was the man himself because if you look on the A2A website on the BBC he writes reports to his boss Nick. (Then he is on the phone to Dave, so maybe it is Clegg and Cameron, anyway, that's an aside .........)

He had a big paddy and strop because he was after a promotion and Chris Shaz and Ray wouldnt go with him so he wouldn't get it, that's why he wrecked the office and took it out on Gene Hunt and why he had the big childish tantrum at the end when Alex went to the pub and took no notice of him.

Well that's what I think. I'd like to know what Nick thought when he went back and said Sorry Guv ....
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Can anyone explain how if Gene Hunt is supposed to be dead - how come he saved Alex as a little girl from the car bomb in season one?