Mockneys, cockneys, essex twang and poshheads

2»

Comments

• susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omah wrote:
    Very true - the English of Shakespeare's time would be totally inintelligible to most of us :eek:

Shakespeare would probably be OK, but you should try Chaucer - even the pronunciation is strange. I remember a program that Eddie Izzard did once where he went to a Flemish-speaking district and discovered that they more or less understood him when he spoke old English! Fascinating language, it's got bits from everywhere.
  • OmahOmah Posts: 23,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie4964 wrote:
    Shakespeare would probably be OK

True - example here :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4694993.stm

- halfway down the page

but he was an educated man, able to use words with precision and dexterity, unlike most of the population of Britain ;)
  • SPECKLEDUSTSPECKLEDUST Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched Preston with some interest, the words he is capable of expressing were at odds with the his deliverance and he would occasionally expose himself to be a fraud (do you know what I mean), why do people think they need to be something else to get ahead and is this why we took Chantelle to our hearts because she remained what she is, why then did people have an issue with Dennis and the way he spoke, he was certainly "keeping it real" and did we take offence to Faria because of her clarity? I've been pontificating this for a while now and would like thoughts :) ya get me blud :confused::D

you have been reading my mind. :)
  • aceyaceyaceyacey Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I watched Preston with some interest, the words he is capable of expressing were at odds with the his deliverance :D

Well spotted. It is called Estuary speak
    :)
  • OmahOmah Posts: 23,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aceyacey wrote:
    Well spotted. It is called Estuary speak
    :)

No it isn't - it's called Estuary English ;)

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=7125279&postcount=11

Estuary English is a name given to the form of English widely spoken in and around London and, more generally, in the southeast of England and along the river Thames and its estuary. It is defined as a variant of Standard British English, using some non-standard grammatical forms and some divergences from .

David Rosewarne originated the term Estuary English (EE) in a ground-breaking article published in 1984 in the London edition of The Times Educational Supplement