Hallelujah?... it could be worse

13»

Comments

• NaughtyNanNaughtyNan Posts: 9,445
    Forum Member
    owllover wrote: »
    I so agree. Did you see the Telegraph article about it? Apparently he wrote at least 80 verses.

Actually I just googled it :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallelujah_(song)#Lyrical_interpretation
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dunkan wrote: »
    Doesn't mean she can't sing it well or put her own meaningful spin on it. Unless you think the meaning of the song is not open to interpretation. I've heard Buckley's version probably 50 times or more and I haven't a clue what it's about.

Well first and foremost it's a song looking back on a long, meaningful relationship.

I don't have a major problem with Diana, liked her at the beginning, but this song is totally inappopriate for her.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Cohen actually won his case in the US superior court, finding in his favour to the tune (no pun intended) of around 5.3 million pounds. However, since nobody can find his ex manager, it's unlikely he'll ever see any of it.

Technically, Sony are in receipt of stolen goods, but will they return the rights to Cohen?

is that a pig flying overhead?

That's so shocking and sad.

When Cohen was living in the Greek Islands a friend of mine so loved him he packed in his job and went to live there just to be in his company. In 2008 it sounds a bit creepy but in the seventies everyone felt free to do whatever they felt like doing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,298
    Forum Member
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    Artistically speaking the song fitted her album, there are enough religous allusions in the lyrics. She's also in her mid 20s so might have lived a bit.

Who says she relates in any way to the lyrics merely because she is a bit older?

I think it's as bad if not worse to omit lyrics just because they are a bit too racey for the image she's trying to portray.
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Artistically speaking the song fitted her album, there are enough religous allusions in the lyrics. She's also in her mid 20s so might have lived a bit.

Even so I do not think it could be described as a "Sacred Aria" considering the rest of the album is overtly religious. Not that she did a bad job of it.
    Forum Member
    Well first and foremost it's a song looking back on a long, meaningful relationship.

I don't have a major problem with Diana, liked her at the beginning, but this song is totally inappopriate for her.

So Diana has never had a meaningful relationship, or never seen others close to her in a meaningful relationship?

Her version earlier in the series was very good, I repeat. She might relate to the lyrics, she might not. Doesn't mean she can't sing it well. I actually think a fragile female voice suits the song better.
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    Even so I do not think it could be described as a "Sacred Aria" considering the rest of the album is overtly religious. Not that she did a bad job of it.

Yep, was a stretch certainly. Sticks out like a sore thumb on the album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Diana has never had a meaningful relationship, or never seen others close to her in a meaningful relationship?

Her version earlier in the series was very good, I repeat. She might relate to the lyrics, she might not. Doesn't mean she can't sing it well. I actually think a fragile female voice suits the song better.

So music is just noise now? No attempt at all to take a song on its artistic merits and show it respect?
    Forum Member

Its not really about who can sing it better, although I just know she will ruin it and not just her doing it the whole X factor cheapens the song. Its a special song and needn't be covered like this. I am quite disappointed actually.

Owllover, you're welcome :).
    Forum Member
    So music is just noise now? No attempt at all to take a song on its artistic merits and show it respect?

I've no idea what you're talking about. Did you hear Vickers' version earlier in the series? In what way was that disrespectful? Vickers can sing that song in a melancholy, fragile, emotional manner that to me is in keeping with the song. She's not going to do it as a disco number is she?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've no idea what you're talking about. Did you hear Vickers' version earlier in the series? In what way was that disrespectful? Vickers can sing that song in a melancholy, fragile, emotional manner that to me is in keeping with the song. She's not going to do it as a disco number is she?

She sings every frigging song like that, even disco numbers.
    Forum Member
    What does music mean to you dunkan?

It isn't as Vennegoor describes, just noise to me. It can frequently move me to tears or make me dance .
    Forum Member
    NaughtyNan wrote: »
    Its not really about who can sing it better, although I just know she will ruin it and not just her doing it the whole X factor cheapens the song. Its a special song and needn't be covered like this. I am quite disappointed actually.

Hmm, it is a lot to do with who can sing it better!! By better I don't mean technically superb, because often such voices are sterile. I do agree that lumping it onto a talent show does somehow seem wrong, but that's not to say Vickers can't do a good job of it. I can't imagine Eoghan or JLS doing it justice, but Diana I can, as long as she lays off too much quirkiness. Her voice suits the song imo, and that is the main thing.
    Forum Member
    What does music mean to you dunkan?

It isn't as Vennegoor describes, just noise to me. It can frequently move me to tears or make me dance .

And me, so how come a Vickers version of Hallelujah can't move me to tears, because I think when I heard her doing it in the auditions, I was moved. Just like I was moved when Laura sang First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.

ps I don't recall mentioning "noise".
    Forum Member
    And me, so how come a Vickers version of Hallelujah can't move me to tears, because I think when I heard her doing it in the auditions, I was moved. Just like I was moved when Laura sang First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.

ps I don't recall mentioning "noise".

I respect your answer. If anyone's emotions are touched by music how could we ever argue with each other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    And me, so how come a Vickers version of Hallelujah can't move me to tears, because I think when I heard her doing it in the auditions, I was moved.

Perhaps it was because the audition version was accapella, and the "vocal coaches" hadn't started chipping away at her style. You just KNOW that cowell will bury it in some over orchestrated arrangement, with an unnecessary key change near the end.

I still think she simply doesnt have the stones to do it justice, but I see your point.
    Forum Member
    I respect your answer. If anyone's emotions are touched by music how could we ever argue with each other.

:)

I thought Diana did a reasonable job of Everybody Hurts tonight, but I preferred Alex Parks' version from Fame Academy - I near-on hated the song till I heard her version which, yes, moved me close to tears. I think there is a potential ideal version of each song. I don't think Everybody Hurts is by REM and I don't think Hallelujah is by Jeff Buckley.
    Forum Member
    On a related issue re cover versions - the Flaming Lips' take on Can't Get You Out Of My Head is as good as Kylie's version but in a more sober, melancholy, heartfelt way. It's probably quite rare that there can be two quite different versions of a song that both work.
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry don't want to sound curt but I just don't like a girl, a boy or a boy band to sing Hallelujah and I hope Simon realizes what he's doing and choose another song.
    I think the song suits a mature voice and it needs silence for it to work not a studio audience clapping and marveling at how wonderful the singer is. Its not about the singer but the song. I might be old fashioned but I rather be a fan of a song than of a talent show contestant.

Just my humble opinion of course. :)
    Forum Member
    I'm off to bed but enjoyed this discussion. I didn't realise how much music means to me. :)
    Forum Member
    NaughtyNan wrote: »
    I'm sorry don't want to sound curt but I just don't like a girl, a boy or a boy band to sing Hallelujah and I hope Simon realizes what he's doing and choose another song.
    I think the song suits a mature voice and it needs silence for it to work not a studio audience clapping and marveling at how wonderful the singer is. Its not about the singer but the song. I might be old fashioned but I rather be a fan of a song than of a talent show contestant.

Just my humble opinion of course. :)

Oh God Nan I couldn't agree more. The song is an anthem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    How right you are Nan....

The thing about Cohen's work is that they are not so much songs, as poems set to music.

how I wish that just once I could have heard Richard Burton read it...

at a push, I suppose I would settle for Anthony Hopkins.

Pleasant Dreams everybody.........
    Forum Member
    How right you are Nan....

The thing about Cohen's work is that they are not so much songs, as poems set to music.

how I wish that just once I could have heard Richard Burton read it...

at a push, I suppose I would settle for Anthony Hopkins.

Pleasant Dreams everybody.........

Yes. Same back.