Options

Could you, or would you forgive someone who has cheated on you?

Comments

• Options
    KindaKinda Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No....in answer to the original question
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In answer to the original question - no I would not forgive, or if I did manage to then I would never forget or trust that person again.

i took my ex-husband back only for him to do it again!!:eek::D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,306
    Forum Member
    No, when the trust is gone, there is nothing. You can't take back after the trust is gone, you see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In answer to the original question - no I would not forgive, or if I did manage to then I would never forget or trust that person again.

i took my ex-husband back only for him to do it again!!:eek::D

Think there must be a lot to that age old saying...once a cheater, always a cheater...unfortunately
  • Options
    FrameBreakerFrameBreaker Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could forgive someone, sure. Would I take them back or continue the relationship? Hells no.

You'd have to be a complete idiot to take someone back who cheated on you. No ifs or but. Regardless of context. A complete idiot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in answer to the op...

I could never go on with the relationship....as many have said the trust has gone and everytime i was not with him i would always be wondering.Also i would probably be on edge and never feel complete in the relationship incase it happerned again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could forgive someone, sure. Would I take them back or continue the relationship? Hells no.

You'd have to be a complete idiot to take someone back who cheated on you. No ifs or but. Regardless of context. A complete idiot.

Or just forgiving?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kinda wrote: »
    Or just forgiving?

Nope. I highlighted the differences between forgiveness and stupidity already.

Re-read my post.
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    It depends on the circumstances. But generally yes. It's only sex.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    KnifeEdge wrote: »
    Would you accept getting an STI from a cheating partner with such equanimity? Or the news that your husband had got another woman pregnant? Would you just shrug it off?

Or maybe, because you yourself cant be faithful, you would accept a partners infidelity?

I've never cheated when i've been in a relationship...

Cheating wouldn't bother me, not using protection however is another matter entirely. Monogamy isn't essential for me, basic intelligence however, is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. I highlighted the differences between forgiveness and stupidity already.

Re-read my post.

I did read your post....in my opinion, when you forgive someone an act, it's easier to let them back into your life...probably to do it to you again! Okay, I'll give you 'stupidly forgiving' !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kinda wrote: »
    I did read your post....in my opinion, when you forgive someone an act, it's easier to let them back into your life...probably to do it to you again! Okay, I'll give you 'stupidly forgiving' !

That's why I say I could forgive somebody no problem.

But carrying on the relationship imo would be stupid. They're only gonna try harder to not get caught again
  • Options
    rachelb65rachelb65 Posts: 14,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all depends on your history together. It all depends on the person who has cheated and how it has affected them too. It all depends on whether you gave thr trust a chance to come back in time or quit straight away.
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    The absolute worst is when she tells you it was better with the other person.

Talk about a kick in the guts ........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No absolutely not
  • Options
    tomorrowtomorrow Posts: 32,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snipsy wrote: »
    I recently found out my OH cheated on me. I was absolutely crushed and devastated. I agreed to take him back as I love him. My question is quite simply this....; Could you or would you forgive your partner if they admitted to cheating on you?

Nope. No way, no how - no second chance.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without kids, no. With kids in the picture - I might try to 'work' at it. I'm not a terribly forgiving person & a bit all or nothing, so I'm not sure I'd have the patience. But you never know til you're there...

It also majorly depends on the type of cheating - a ons is one thing - a long term affair is very different.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KnifeEdge wrote: »
    The problem is, is that is sooo much easier for them to do it a second time, as they have already had a bit of practice! The lies and excuses and deceit come easier, they can recycle the same old lines and excuses!

Ah, but you'll also be more alert than the first time round. You'll probably spot the signs sooner...;)
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Sid mate the way I'm feeling at the minute I might just take ya up on that. :D

Result!

Don't tell Stoatie though, he'll be devastated lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christa wrote: »
    Without kids, no. With kids in the picture - I might try to 'work' at it. I'm not a terribly forgiving person & a bit all or nothing, so I'm not sure I'd have the patience. But you never know til you're there...

It also majorly depends on the type of cheating - a ons is one thing - a long term affair is very different.

True. With children in the picture, it's a whole other set of circumstances to deal with, not just your own feelings
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snipsy wrote: »
    I recently found out my OH cheated on me. I was absolutely crushed and devastated. I agreed to take him back as I love him. My question is quite simply this....; Could you or would you forgive your partner if they admitted to cheating on you?

No. Trust would be gone. This would change the nature of the relationship forever and since change is what the cheating party wants, then he'd best have it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It happened to me. I forgave, I never forgot though. All the trust was pretty much used up, but we plodded along because we had kids.

I wouldn't recommend it, the hurt is not easy to get over. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It happened to me. I forgave, I never forgot though. All the trust was pretty much used up, but we plodded along because we had kids.

I wouldn't recommend it, the hurt is not easy to get over. :(

being nosey now...are you still together?
  • Options
    moon unitmoon unit Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it would end the relationship for me, it'd just piss me off and do my head in too much.

It would depress me and I wouldn't see them in the same light again.

I would forgive and forget in time, after we'd split up and I'd moved on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't forgive they'd be history as soon as I found out about it. I've never cheated and never would despite having numerous opportunities to cheat. If a woman's gone too far or wouldn't take no for an answer I've always told whoever I was with about her and what she was up to.

Relationships are built on trust and after being betrayed I reckon it would be difficult for me to ever completely trust someone again.
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all....my partner knows if he strays she will be my replacement so he had better choose wisely.

It would change the relationship and it wouldnt be worth continuing.