Need to find a good Horror

2»

Comments

• spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Famously, Roger corman's AIP made 8 Poe inspired films, mostly with Vincent Price. Not too much gore (they coldn't afford it!).

http://www.mondo-digital.com/talesofterror.html

Very best one is Masque of the Red Death

http://cinefantastiqueonline.com/2007/11/masque-of-the-red-death-retrospective/

(Not at your local store! Try Amazon, or possibly libraries ......)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Dunce-2007 wrote: »
    If you're gonna watch Orphan and case 39, you should also give, The Good Son a try.

oohh thanks :) I seen the first two you mentioned but not the good son :p
  • Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    oohh thanks :) I seen the first two you mentioned but not the good son :p

Lol, I forgot to add Mikey(1992) to the list as well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104870/
  • Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    Another must see is Sleepaway Camp. cheesy 80's flick but the twist at the end is worth it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086320/
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't find Paranormal Activity scary in the slightest?

I'd also recommend The Others.
    I've been mores scared on a roller coaster. I thought the film was rubbish.
  • Sparklyblue171Sparklyblue171 Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Uninvited

I'd check this one out aswell, good little film.

I would also add:
    Shutter Island (thriller)
    Drag me to Hell (not very gory, far from Saw levels,etc.)
    Zodiac
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Fourth Kind
    The Strangers
    Vacancy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »

An incredible film, but the OP said she doesn't want B&W films, so...

The Innocents (1961) is another great film that scared the crap out of me without resorting to gore or violence, but also B&W.
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Case 39 was absolutely awful. I saw the trailer and it looked good but my god, the acting was terrible and it was so boring. I watched all of it because I thought it might get better but it didn't. lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    An incredible film, but the OP said she doesn't want B&W films, so...

The Innocents (1961) is another great film that scared the crap out of me without resorting to gore or violence, but also B&W.

I have given the b&w thing a try after a recommendation to watch The Haunting (original), i have to say i was creeped out! and its far better than the remake. So i will look this one up. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    The Exorcist
    Salem's Lot (3hr 1979 Version)
    The Amityville Horror (1979 Version)
    The Omen
    Magic
    The Stepfather (1987 Version)
  • theshadowtheshadow Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try get hold of a brilliant 80's cult classic called "Aprils Fools Day". Not out-and-out gore, but a scooby-doo type creepy mystery. Great fun. And a great ending!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    I'm not really into horror films as such, but I did see a Swedish film called "Let The Right One In" last year. The acting by the two young male/female leads is excellent and not your usual rubbish American gorefest with terrible acting. I saw it as a dubbed version. I think I read somewhere that it is going to be remade in Hollywood, not sure if they will do it justice though.:(:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    I'm not really into horror films as such, but I did see a Swedish film called "Let The Right One In" last year. The acting by the two young male/female leads is excellent and not your usual rubbish American gorefest with terrible acting. I saw it as a dubbed version. I think I read somewhere that it is going to be remade in Hollywood, not sure if they will do it justice though.:(:)

It's already been remade as "Let Me In". I've only seen the original, but by all accounts the remake is not that bad.

OP: Glad you've reconsidered the B&W thing!
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Strangers, Paranormal Activity, The Orphanage.

Having a total mind blank other than those 3.

By no gore, does that include things like stabbings etc like in say Halloween, or do you just mean gore like Saw gore?

I think that is a pretty good film but it all depends if you prefer psychological thrillers or all out horror films.
    Forum Member
    The Legend Of Hell House
    Let's Scare Jessica To Death
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am personally not an expert on 'horror films' but I do not rate the 'Scream' films.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    It's already been remade as "Let Me In". I've only seen the original, but by all accounts the remake is not that bad.

OP: Glad you've reconsidered the B&W thing!

I personally thought Let Me In was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. I haven't seen the original.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was bored last night so i borrowed Case 39 off my mate. Not sure what to think of it really. I thought Renee Z was ok considering im not a huge fan but i found the other guy (i forget his name) very annoying. I thought the opening scenes were a little creepy. Ive always wanted to see the exorcist but i started watching it when i was 12 and it nearly traumatised me! I only managed the first 45 mins! Maybe being more mature now i wont find it as scary?! I dont like it when a film starts with the words "based on atrue story" :eek:
    Forum Member
    lisalee23 wrote: »
    Was bored last night so i borrowed Case 39 off my mate. Not sure what to think of it really. I thought Renee Z was ok considering im not a huge fan but i found the other guy (i forget his name) very annoying. I thought the opening scenes were a little creepy. Ive always wanted to see the exorcist but i started watching it when i was 12 and it nearly traumatised me! I only managed the first 45 mins! Maybe being more mature now i wont find it as scary?! I dont like it when a film starts with the words "based on atrue story" :eek:

One of my top 5 films you must see the Exorcist a true gem and unbeaten in its raw and chilling undertones to this day.

'You know what she did, your ******* daughter' :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    May I recommend Japanese horror - "Dark Water"? It's not only scary/creepy about a single-mother and her daughter , but also very sad at the end. To lumber it with other J-horror movie is an insult to Dark Water.

There's also a hollywood remake too; which I haven't seen. But best stick with the original...
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought White Noise was quite creepy - the idea of ghostly voices on tape and on TV sets is a bit freaky.

Also: The Fog (1980 John Carpenter version)

If you want psycho horror rather than ghost horror I suggest:

The Stepfather (someone mentioned it above, so I'll second it :-)
    Hider in the House
    Pacific Heights
    Psycho (obviously - the Hitchcock original, not the pointless shot-for-shot remake)
    Funny Games (German original - very disturbing)
    The Vanishing (original Dutch version)
    Hidden (2005 - made by Michael Haneke, who also directed Funny Games)
    Single White Female