The Great British Bake Off - New Series in August (Part 2)

Comments

• tknoxxtknoxx Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Agreed. When she said she was going to be adding banana flavouring I nearly barfed just at the thought of it.

I hate banana flavouring. I hate dried banana. I'm sorry for Beca but I said last week she was next in line to goand it was true.

I must admit I did want Ruby to go - she's a great baker, but Beca has such a fun personality that it was sad to see her leave.

So glad Kim got her Star Baker and #1 in technical! :D She's great and I'd like her to win but all three that are left are great in their own way!
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    Btw re the baking I loved the idea of an opera cake - yumm

But that swiss roll / arctic roll / mucus gloop thing looked absolutely revolting.
    Just uuuurgh. Kim made the least bad one, but even that was grim.
  • mangobuttermangobutter Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Are they? I can't see people 'moving onto' Kim. Some people (not me) have always found her smug I guess.
    I can so see it, it's creeping in.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a retreat that was Almost an apology? Thank you :)

This is post 3202 from Part 1 of the GBBO thread:
    Ruby is a right misery guts. She spoils this series. Her showstopper looked terrible. She is so clearly the BBC favourite. She was very 'lucky' that she alone had seen a pic of the technical challenge.

Kimberley slipped back again this week. A few weeks ago I thought she was the front runner.

I think these 2 will make the final with any one of the others.
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    I think if I was after a cake that was at least partly for show - a wedding or birthday cake, say - I'd want Frances to make it. If it was for a non-occasion but someone I'd want to impress - say taking a date for lunch somewhere posh - I'd want Kim to make it. And if I just wanted some brownies that looked a bit rustic but tasted spectacular, I'd want Ruby to make them.

That's the best summary I can think of the finalists. I actually want Frances to win.

Yeah I think that's fair. I'd get Frances to make cakes for my friends, but I don't know if I'd eat much myself. If I wanted adventurous flavours I'd go for Kimberley. Ruby would be perfect for a nice homey loaf!
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad to see Becca left the competition. She's the most fun of the four semi-finalists. Ruby's opera did look like a tragedy, so the jjudges had to revert to 'oh but it tastes nice!'. Bah humbug!
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know people dislike Ruby but i cannot bare Kimberely and her over bearing confidence it riles me i hope she does not win she would be unbearable really dislike her personality and nature she puts me on edge but then again i love Ruby :D
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruby isn't the first contestant to sit in tears waiting to hear who's leaving though, and she won't be the last. The judges have made their decision, they're not going to change it at that point!

Paul and Mary have treated the contestants pretty much the same in all of the shows. I just find it laughable all the conspiracy theories here!

I do agree with you on Paul & Mary's treatment towards the other contestants on previous & present GBBO shows as after all, they are the judges.

But I couldn't help noticing that unlike the other contestants, Ruby got the easy treatment from the judges instead and I thought it was totally out of order for them to act this way.

By the way I can't recall seeing any other contestant breaking down & crying before the judges came on in front of the remaining contestants for the star baker award & send-off like Ruby did on tonight's show. Yes, I have seen the previous contestants breaking down in tears but that happened during the bakes & during/after the send-offs as far as I can remember.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,526
    Forum Member
    Gawd, here we go..... ;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit like ummm, no more slating ruby is allowed, people are noticing let's move onto kim, how predictable...

When you find yourself becoming too emotionally invested its time to turn off the TV and go outside.
  • CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    I don't find kim smug at all.

Me neither. I like her a lot and why shouldn't she pleased with her efforts?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit like ummm, no more slating ruby is allowed, people are noticing let's move onto kim, how predictable...

That is completely wrong. Most people would agree that Ruby seems to be on a constant downer. However, The comments about Ruby have got completely personal, suggesting she is not in the final due to merit, ignoring the fact that she has had some great flavour combinations.

In regards to Kimberly i think we all agree that she should be in the final, and has gad to great bakes. However, imho she can come over as smug at times, however, as i said that could be editing.
  • abbieuniqueabbieunique Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I know people dislike Ruby but i cannot bare Kimberely and her over bearing confidence it riles me i hope she does not win she would be unbearable really dislike her personality and nature she puts me on edge but then again i love Ruby :D

I love Ruby too :cool: whether she is playing a game or not
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who thinks Kim is a bit smug...? :o

No others have said it too.

I didn't go on here until the last few weeks and was shocked to hear it.

I liked all the candidates, but Kim was my favourite as her facial expressions are so open. When she's happy, sad or shocked you can easily tell!
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »

It's funny how 'can't stand/bear' comments are allowed about Kimberley but not Ruby.

How can you not bear Kimberley? I love her! Etc. ad nauseam!
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ruby isn't the first contestant to sit in tears waiting to hear who's leaving though, and she won't be the last. The judges have made their decision, they're not going to change it at that point!

Paul and Mary have treated the contestants pretty much the same in all of the shows. I just find it laughable all the conspiracy theories here!

Exactly.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    How interesting, I have only just caught up with GBBO and so haven't clicked on this thread before now, but I have to say I am both surprised and a bit disappointed at some of the ridiculous assertions being made about Ruby getting an easy ride with the judges compared to the other contestants.

It has been apparent from the outset that she has better baking instincts than almost all of the others (Kimberly and Christine being the two possible exceptions to that). She clearly puts a great deal of pressure on herself and is very often convinced that what she has made isn't good enough. It is equally obvious that the judges disagree and appreciate her flavours, her technical ability and her innovation compared to some of the others.

Watching so far I think that there is an interesting dynamic where Kimberly feels that Ruby is the only one who matches and sometimes outshines her in terms of actual talent and flair.

I would very much like to see either Ruby or Kimberly win. Francis is for me a try hard who deserves no more than a very distant 3rd place
    Forum Member
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    How interesting, I have only just caught up with GBBO and so haven't clicked on this thread before now, but I have to say I am both surprised and a bit disappointed at some of the ridiculous assertions being made about Ruby getting an easy ride with the judges compared to the other contestants.

It has been apparent from the outset that she has better baking instincts than almost all of the others (Kimberly and Christine being the two possible exceptions to that). She clearly puts a great deal of pressure on herself and is very often convinced that what she has made isn't good enough. It is equally obvious that the judges disagree and appreciate her flavours, her technical ability and her innovation compared to some of the others.

Watching so far I think that there is an interesting dynamic where Kimberly feels that Ruby is the only one who matches and sometimes outshines her in terms of actual talent and flair.

I would very much like to see either Ruby or Kimberly win. Francis is for me a try hard who deserves no more than a very distant 3rd place

Hmmmm interesting.

I agree with most of what you say. I dislike Ruby's negativity but she is a great baker for sure.
    I have always liked Kim but felt she wasn't the best at baking - for example in the technical bakes she came near last in a few that she had made before!!!
    Frances is more talented than a distant third. I think sometimes her obsession with design hides the fact she is a great baker. If she can get her flavours right she's on to a winner everytime.
  • the_bullthe_bull Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    I do find Ruby's constant self-deprication and negativity a bit difficult to watch and I do believe, despite what anybody says, that it has been edited to look like she has been given an easier time from Paul and Mary at certain times. That said, it's difficult to deny that she's a very good baker and though I found Becca more entertaining to watch throughout the series I think Ruby has been a better baker. And I know some people don't accept this as an excuse, but she is only 20 and a lot of people aren't as self-aware or have a strongly developed self-confidence at that age. It seems to me that she is actually a very nice person and has throughout the series shown real flashes of genuine warmth and wit.
    I've also loved Kimberly from the start and Frances has really grown on me thoughout the series so I think it's a great final 3. But that's just my opinion. This is digitalspy and the beauty of a tv commentating thread is that people should feel free to come on board and legitimately criticise programmes and contestants (within reason of course) without being accused of being bullies or trolls.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    I tend to take that sort of comment as a figure of speech and a knee jerk reaction while watching. I very much doubt Welsh Lad would punch anyone.

People do need to lighten up and not take everything so literally.

I agree. That comment was not to be taken literally.
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »

I stand by my assumptions on the judges however ridiculous you may find them to be. You can't deny that Ruby failed her 3 baking tries on tonight's show as she was clearly under pressure. I thought at this point she was the one facing the send-off but I wasn't surprised that Beca was chosen to be sent off instead despite her best efforts in the 1st 2 baking tries.

Now what does this tell you about the judges's choosing Beca over Ruby?
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people have a perfect right to say if someone annoys them a bit.

It's a reality show, the people are there, our enjoyment of the show is to do with them as well as the baking.

I find Ruby irritating.

My daughter, who watched it for the first time with me tonight, said quite spontaneously ' goodness, she's annoying'.

So she is to some people, and so what?

I think she's a bit hit and miss as a baker, and she does get soft treatment compared to the others, but she's talented.

Still really sulky and annoying though.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruby was VERY lucky there
    I call it VERY favoured:rolleyes:

Weren't all the others 'Style over Substance' in the final round. They looked good but failed on taste. Her one was a bit messy but they praised the taste. Taste always seems to count more than looks.
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Weren't all the others 'Style over Substance' in the final round. They looked good but failed on taste. Her one was a bit messy but they praised the taste. Taste always seems to count more than looks.

And so it should :)
    I'd rather eat something yummy and messy than good looking but horrid.

Reminds me a little of the 'chocolate flavoured poo' / 'Poo flavoured chocolate' dilemma.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think in Ruby's case it's less about passion and more about 'agenda'.
    Not sure 'agenda' means but Ruby seems to be accused by some people of every sin under the sun.