Options

Buffy The Vampire Slayer - A General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I do it sometimes with Buffy - pick a random episode and watch it.
  • Options
    Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I do it sometimes with Buffy - pick a random episode and watch it.

I love to do that too. It's great fun!

My top Buffy episodes to watch on their own, as opposedv to part of a re-watch, are:
    • The Puppet Show (oh Sid, we hardly knew ya)
    • The Zeppo (go Xander!)
    • Selfless (poor Anya)
    • The Freshman (purely for the funny that comes from Sunday and her crew)
    • Once More With Feeling (say you're happy now, once more with feeling)

With Angel, I often choose 'Harm's Way' as an episode to watch on its own (this ep. probably gets chosen by me to watch as a stand-alone more than any other Buffy or Angel episode). Harm's Way, to me, is like a 47-minute feel-good film - the perfect episode to bring me out of a funk when I'm feeling down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i do find it hard watching a random and then not getting sucked into rewatching the entire series....power of Buffy! haha......but yeah i do do it sometimes successfully :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I'd rank the seasons like this:

Season 2
    Season 3
    Season 5
    Season 6
    Season 7
    Season 4
    Season 1
    I wouldn't.
    If I was to do it like that,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aaah rankings....ill rank em (near enough) like this...

near enough....but i adore season 1 so much too :) and 2, 3, 5 are on par with each other as so damn perfect seasons also.

Its just something about season 4 that edges it for me...i mean the many strands and storlines, the progression and experimentalisation across the season...Spike AND Faith (albeit for a two parter...but still) are in it! Anya is a regular...the main arc is secondary to the characters for the first time (and the arc for the first time is a science/government issue for the first time ever) i adore it! But i adore every season so much too :)
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Angel 4
    Angel 3
    Buffy 5
    Buffy 2
    Angel 2
    Angel 1
    Buffy 3
    Buffy 4
    Angel 1
    Buffy 1
    Buffy 7
    Buffy 6
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ah right including Angel

B4
    B2
    B3
    B5
    B6
    A5
    B7
    B1
    A2
    A4
    A1
    A3

;)
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Watched Once More, With Feeling again, bloody love that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I need a rewatch...maybe next week..... man i need me a Buffy fix X
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it that I've just finished buffy and feel like watching it all over again.
  • Options
    superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rank Buffy like this...

Season 2
    Season 3
    Season 5
    Season 1
    Seaaon 4
    Season 6
    Seaaon 7
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just read that Buffy aired it's first ever episode 16 years ago today. Now I feel old, but also feel that a rewatch from the beginning episode is in order. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just read that Buffy aired it's first ever episode 16 years ago today. Now I feel old, but also feel that a rewatch from the beginning episode is in order. :D

yeah time has flown by....I was 6 when i first saw it...crikey!! :eek: now im 21 :eek:

and Sarah still looks the same :cool: EPIC!!! time for a reunion...lets have a blockbuster!

But yeah...rewatch deffo, just seen the 92 movie which inspires me to watch the show...you know...to showcase how history is made :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you guys HAVE to check out this web series! there were 6 others preceeding it...but this is the most Buffy orientated...i am addicted XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqbjxxP8GyY
  • Options
    Mo@realityMo@reality Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a few favourites that I used to rewatch often but I gave away all my dvd's a few years back so apart from the odd ep on SyFy I haven't had a Buffy fix for a couple of years.

I started last week rewatching from series 1 on netflix and I'm really enjoying some of the eps I rarely watched that I'm transfixed with.

I'm halfway through Season 2 and found myself dozing off during Surprise/Innocence previously two of my favourites.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mo@reality wrote: »
    I had a few favourites that I used to rewatch often but I gave away all my dvd's a few years back so apart from the odd ep on SyFy I haven't had a Buffy fix for a couple of years.

I started last week rewatching from series 1 on netflix and I'm really enjoying some of the eps I rarely watched that I'm transfixed with.

I'm halfway through Season 2 and found myself dozing off during Surprise/Innocence previously two of my favourites.

Is buffy on Netflix? I thought it was only on love film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's on the US Netflix.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprise/Innocence was such a game changing two parter...it really took everything to a new height for the shows history.....very powerful....the final shwoown/rocket launcher sequence is one of the best sequences of all time!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprise/Innocence was such a game changing two parter...it really took everything to a new height for the shows history.....very powerful....the final shwoown/rocket launcher sequence is one of the best sequences of all time!

I don't disagree but I think Passion was the game changer. That was the stand out for me, it was the one where you really found out how evil Angelus was and it was the first time a main cast member was killed.

But I will say that rocket launcher scene is one of the most iconic Buffy scenes for me. "What's that do?"
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I love those two episodes. For me, those episodes really proved what a tremendous dramatic actress SMG really is and it was the start of many more to come in future seasons.
  • Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't disagree but I think Passion was the game changer. That was the stand out for me, it was the one where you really found out how evil Angelus was and it was the first time a main cast member was killed.

I agree. 'Passion' was an amazing episode! It's one of the best eps of the entire series, IMO. The whole sequence of Giles going home and finding Jenny dead on the bed is so well done and chilling. My heart breaks for Giles every time. The scene that follows this is another powerful one; the reaction, at Buffy's house, to Giles' phone call from Angelus's POV. Willow going hysterical and Buffy just sinking to the floor while Angelus is outside relishing ever second of their pain. Something extreme needed to happen to make Buffy finally realise that it wasn't an "Ignore him and he'll go away" situation with Angelus - he needed to be killed.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Although Passion is the better episode overall, I'd have to agree that Surprise / Innocence is the 'game changer' as it was just so unexpected and DB does turn on a dime in getting across that Angelus is a completely different person. I love everything about Innocence from Drusilla and Spike's reactions to Buffy's dream (realising that Jenny knows something) to that beautiful end scene with Joyce saying that buffy looks the same to her, not older.

The last half of season 2 is wonderful - it's when I really, really got obsessed with it. There are so many perfect episodes. I Only Have Eyes for You is a particular favorite of mine.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member

I've still got the VHS Box sets in the cupboard above my bed and the DVD box sets downstairs - I dread to think how many hundreds I spent on them all at the time as I bought them all on day of release - £70 per season for each :mad: Worth it though, the number of times I've watched them all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Although Passion is the better episode overall, I'd have to agree that Surprise / Innocence is the 'game changer' as it was just so unexpected and DB does turn on a dime in getting across that Angelus is a completely different person.

Honestly, it was so long ago that I cannot remember watching it for the first time which is sad. I can't remember any big reveal but I do remember the shock at Jenny's death. What I do know though is that it was around that time it became a show that I liked to becoming my favourite show of all time.
    I've still got the VHS Box sets in the cupboard above my bed and the DVD box sets downstairs - I dread to think how many hundreds I spent on them all at the time as I bought them all on day of release - £70 per season for each :mad: Worth it though, the number of times I've watched them all.

I was the same although I gave up the box sets halfway through and switched to dvds so I never had 2 complete sets. Gave them all away and now watching it for free on netflix :eek:
  • Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although Passion is the better episode overall, I'd have to agree that Surprise / Innocence is the 'game changer' as it was just so unexpected and DB does turn on a dime in getting across that Angelus is a completely different person. I love everything about Innocence from Drusilla and Spike's reactions to Buffy's dream (realising that Jenny knows something) to that beautiful end scene with Joyce saying that buffy looks the same to her, not older.

The last half of season 2 is wonderful - it's when I really, really got obsessed with it. There are so many perfect episodes. I Only Have Eyes for You is a particular favorite of mine.

I still feel as though 'Passion' significantly changes everything because it's the turning point for Buffy. It's the episode where she finally accepts that Angel/Angelus has to die. It's the moment where it stops being about Angelus's emotional abuse and mind games with Buffy and, instead, hits out at the people connected to her in a very scary. brutal way. It also proved that you couldn't take it for granted that the characters were 'safe' and that something/someone would save the day. With the ending shot being the disk falling down the side of the desk, it just truly felt like there was no hope anymore. At least before this episode, there was some sort of hope/belief (however small) that Angel would be saved.