Best alternative to Microsoft Word?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
Forum Member
✭✭
Need it to be free, relatively easy to use and not **** up my pc after download.

Any suggestions, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Open Office?
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    yep open office is good.
    word pad is ok
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Libre Office
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if it's the best, but i use Open Office.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    note pad
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google docs. Wherever you log in, your stuff is there. It's great .
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Open Office, Libre Office and Google Docs are all damn good suggestions.

None are as good as Word, but pretty much all will be as much as 90% of the population will ever need.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Libre Office

...which is available as a totally free download from here ----> https://www.libreoffice.org/download/?type=win-x86&lang=en-GB&version=4.1.0

The applications are, for the most part, compatible with their Microsoft equivalents.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've tried to download Open Office a couple of times just to have a look at it.............but I always seem to run into a problem whereby I appear to be downloading something which you need to download Open Office

So I click on the download and think I've downloaded Open Office but when I try and open it I get a message inviting me to download Open Office............and it just seems to be a circle

I've given up on that one...............
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried open office once and it completely buggered up the formatting of my word documents.
  • agaaga Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I've tried all the free office suites but for me the best is Kingsoft Office.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Open Office, I use it frequently and if I need to email a document, I save it as a pdf format. Works well for me.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I favour Kingsoft atm.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    No idea if its still officially available or not but I use Office Starter and it does the job nicely. Its a cut down version of Word and Excel 2010 free for personal use.

Failing that Libre Office is a decent compromise if you need more than Word and Excel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use open office but I've used libre office and they both seem pretty much the same.

I'll never pay for Microsoft office again
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Google docs as does everyone I work with! It's great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    I tried open office once and it completely buggered up the formatting of my word documents.

I had terrific problems with my previous pc and OO. It kept stuffing my documents. I'd correct them. save them. close them. re-open them. They'd be ok. The next day they'd be stuffed again. NO amount of uninstalling/reinstalling seemed to fix it.

When I moved to ubuntu on a new machine I got OO and it was grand. They now ship Libre Office as standard.
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    No idea if its still officially available or not but I use Office Starter and it does the job nicely. Its a cut down version of Word and Excel 2010 free for personal use.

Failing that Libre Office is a decent compromise if you need more than Word and Excel.

It's still freely available from here http://www.snapfiles.com/get/officestarter.html but it will only work with Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and later operating systems.
    Forum Member
    aga wrote: »
    I've tried all the free office suites but for me the best is Kingsoft Office.
    Arcana wrote: »
    I favour Kingsoft atm.

...and here's the free download link for Kingsoft Ofice ----> http://www.ksosoft.com/downloads/select-your-os