Pilot killed neighbour's dog for barking

ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
Forum Member
Flybe pilot drowned neighbour's border terrier Meg in a bucket and dumped body in a hedge because it wouldn't stop barking
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3089612/Flybe-pilot-drowned-neighbour-s-dog-bucket-wouldn-t-stop-barking.html#comments

If he cracks that easily, he probably shouldn't be in charge of a plane full of people.

Comments

• gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Flybe pilot drowned neighbour's border terrier Meg in a bucket and dumped body in a hedge because it wouldn't stop barking
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3089612/Flybe-pilot-drowned-neighbour-s-dog-bucket-wouldn-t-stop-barking.html#comments

If he cracks that easily, he probably shouldn't be in charge of a plane full of people.

Agreed you would hope a pilot would be able to cope with almost everything under pressure. No excuse of killing an innocent animal by all means speak to your neighbour and go to the council to complain but you should never take matters into your own hands like this. I'm glad my neighbours aren't like this. Maybe he should live in the middle of nowhere with nobody to annoy him.
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 5,958
    Forum Member
    This sickens me.

The punishment for cruelty to animals is far too lenient to act as much of a deterrent to others. A small part of me would like to see him suffer more.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    The problem is the UK's Animal Cruelty Laws aren't up to scratch and often the maximum 2 year sentence isn't even handed out.

So it should be changed to a minimum jail sentence of two years if found guilty up to a maximum of 15 years.

It would be a better deterrent as the current laws we have aren't a deterrent.

People will think twice if they know they'll get a minimum of 2 years.

Agreed scary he's a pilot- this cruel act may have cost him a really good job too as I can't see Flybe being happy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While it's extremely wrong, I can see where he's coming from, would you want someone piloting your plane with only 2 hours sleep ?

Sorry, but it's just a dog, not a person, I repeat, it's a dog, only a dog..
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While it's extremely wrong, I can see where he's coming from, would you want someone piloting your plane with only 2 hours sleep ?

It's a living thing that didn't deserve to suffer by being drowned, and it would have suffered terribly.
    Forum Member
    Not everyone views humans as superior to animals.

Dogs are sentient beings.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've read his pathetic excuses. Sorry, but anybody who does something like this should go to prison. Dogs bark when they're left on their own - it goes with the territory. Live with it.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    This sickens me.

The punishment for cruelty to animals is far too lenient to act as much of a deterrent to others. A small part of me would like to see him suffer more.

He shouldn't have killed it, but imagine a dog constantly barking. It's very easy to just say the above, but just imagine yourself having to listen to the barks of a dog all the time when you're at home. Not a dog that barks sometimes, but all the time. It would drive you round the absolute bend. I'm in no way defending what he did, but I have sympathy for the fact that he had to listen to constant barks when he was at home. If the dog was constantly barking, that is.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Absolutely nuts. And I agree, someone who could do something so extreme so easily I really wouldn't want in charge of my life on a plane.
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 5,958
    Forum Member

Didn't occur to him to speak to the neighbours? Or move if it was that bad!! I couldn't imagine ever getting to that point.

Lets hope his neighbours next dog isn't just as "happy" ;-)
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

I wouldn't want someone capable of snapping & killing someone's pet piloting any plane I'm on.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    White noise drowns out most annoyances, Literally drowning the noise is a bit much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2 hours sleep? - where do you get that from.

As far as I can see the dog barked in the garden, and that was what was annoying Woodhouse.
    Sara-Lise Hawe, defending, said: 'This is a dog that barked from morning until night, and a year before my client had had a heart attack, and spent time off work trying to recuperate.

'He found it impossible to be in his garden. Mr Woodhouse is not a man who likes to complain but he had spoken to the council and he was at his wits' end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Where did it say it affected his sleep though? It seems to have prevented him from enjoying his garden but nothing else?

Not that killing a dog is a particularly rational thing to do even if it was keeping you awake at night.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    *waits for someone to make connection with Germanwings flight*

A dog that won't shut up is infuriating, but you stlll don't kill it, it's that simple.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    He shouldn't have killed it, but imagine a dog constantly barking. It's very easy to just say the above, but just imagine yourself having to listen to the barks of a dog all the time when you're at home. Not a dog that barks sometimes, but all the time. It would drive you round the absolute bend. I'm in no way defending what he did, but I have sympathy for the fact that he had to listen to constant barks when he was at home. If the dog was constantly barking, that is.

Yes, if it was. Maybe he's just a bit neurotic. I wonder how he'd cope with a crying baby on one of his flights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    White noise drowns out most annoyances, Literally drowning the noise is a bit much.

It does indeed, and I have used that method with great success myself. The white noise is continuous and the same, so the brain soon gets used to it, enabling you to sleep easily.

It's sporadic and discontinuous noise, such as barking dogs and all night parties, which keeps people awake. A strong loudspeaker near the bed can be tuned to FM white noise, and turned louder and louder, until the extraneous noise is totally blocked out, leaving only the white noise.
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, if it was. Maybe he's just a bit neurotic. I wonder how he'd cope with a crying baby on one of his flights.

Or indeed a crying baby next door.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Stephen Woodhouse from Long Buckby should ever fly again.

His face looks like that of the sort of person capable of such a killing.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm concerned that a pilot who has suffered a heart attack is allowed to fly commercially again.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His face looks like that of the sort of person capable of such a killing.

And what does a face capable of killing look like?

Surely you're just saying that because you know he's killed something. If you had walked past him otherwise would you think "that guy is clearly capable of killing his neighbours dog"? :confused:
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    I'm concerned that a pilot who has suffered a heart attack is allowed to fly commercially again.:o

Why not? As long as he's recovered fully and appropriate measures have been taken.
  • Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the dog was constantly barking then the people at fault are the owners of the dog.

If the animal isn't trained correctly then it will do what it does. No reason to take it out on the poor animal.

If the facts are correct though, he may have killed the animal, but the owners were the cause of its death and they should accept responsibility.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »

If the dog was constantly barking he could have left the house, gone to the shops or simply put the tv on and he wouldn't have heard.

His sentencing 12 weeks suspended for 2 years is a sick joke. At least Flybe might punish him though.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would you want someone flying a plane who can snap so easily and so extremely?