Options

How long does first payment of Jobseekers Allowance take nowadays?

Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,441
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How long does it typically take nowdays when making a new claim for Jobseekers Allowance to receive your first payment?

I made a new claim on 27th April(4 weeks ago tomorrow). On the 14th May(though the letter was actually dated 7th May) I received a letter to say I would be receiving JSA payments every 2 weeks.

I started a new job last Monday. And gave in my form to the Job Centre to say that I am signing off as starting a new job. They said that that would be dealt with and any outstanding pay due will be paid.

Still not got any payment yet, which is now allmost 4 weeks after I made my claim! When I've claimed before, I'm pretty sure I've allways received the first payment within about 2 weeks.

I know that there's a telephone enquiry line I could use, but it's only open between 8am-6pm Mondays-Fridays. And due to the working hours of my new temp job, it is not really convenient for me to call during those hours!

Anyone else here find that their first payment of JSA takes a fair while to be paid?

Comments

• Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    They are,have always been,and will always be totally useless with your first payment.
    I have always had to chase them up,everytime.(whenever I've been on the dole)
    They just make it harder and harder for you to actually speak to the people that give you the OK
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are in a Universal Credit pilot area (or even if you're not, perhaps!) it now takes at least five weeks to process a new claim.

This doesn't apply to you OP but I would advise anyone on the verge of putting in a new claim - you need to put at least 5 weeks money aside beforehand to tide you over (roughly £350).