Options

Scottish Fitba Thread (Part 19)

Comments

• Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dawwell came out with another cracker tonight.

I was listing to the Celtic Underground podcast and they were saying that Kayal refused to play in the away match against Hearts back in November because of the ongoing problems he had agreeing a new contract. Had anyone heard that before as I hadn't?
  • Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timboy wrote: »
    I was listing to the Celtic Underground podcast and they were saying that Kayal refused to play in the away match against Hearts back in November because of the ongoing problems he had agreeing a new contract. Had anyone heard that before as I hadn't?

We never played Hearts in November.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    We never played Hearts in November.

Meant October, not November.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meant October, not November.
    That was the time we were having a lot of muscle injuries, I think Kayal was legit out as that is what Lennon said.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    It's laughable that this is even beeing mooted as an option and only confirms that the SPL is the most corrupt football organisation in the world.

I think some of this is getting a bit over the top. It's just a proposal at this stage and if it goes through then the only people responsible for it will be the SPL clubs themselves - not Topping, Doncaster or anyone else. In that case I'd have a hard time accepting that the other SPL teams are somehow in the pocket of Rangers. Clubs will vote for whatever is in their own interest, whether that's letting a newco back in or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    I think some of this is getting a bit over the top. It's just a proposal at this stage and if it goes through then the only people responsible for it will be the SPL clubs themselves - not Topping, Doncaster or anyone else. In that case I'd have a hard time accepting that the other SPL teams are somehow in the pocket of Rangers. Clubs will vote for whatever is in their own interest, whether that's letting a newco back in or not.

I think the problem is that the potential is there that Rangers have been cheating everyone for years through tax evasion, dual contracts and, more recently, non payment of transfer fees and other bills like the police, stewarding, ambulance service and the local paper shop yet clubs are ready to turn around, pull their trousers down and get pumped up the bottom.

It is all wrong.

If they have been operating dual contracts then their players haven't been registered properly and all matches should be awarded 3-0 to the opposition. They shouldn't even be in the SPL under these circumstances.

Here is a Dundee Utd fans take on it.
    So where are we this evening? For all the excellent analysis on this blog that demonstrated Oldco was financially up the proverbial creek there was always a shadow cast by the prospect of Newco arising, like Dracula, from the grave. The WTC, BTC, SFA, SPL, police enquiries, all lined up to fire bullets into a corpse, empty meaningless gestures, all theatre, no real intent for justice to be done and seen to be done.

The debate may have raged here about what is sport without integrity, but eerily this has been virtually completely absent in the MSM. Why?

We are fans, customers, yet we are treated almost with contempt, marginalised as internet bampots while those in authority, whether at the clubs, SFA or SPL or the MSM are intent to determine what is good for us. The SPL will not even deign to explain what these proposals mean prior to voting on them:

“No further comment will be made in respect of these proposals until after the General Meeting on 30 April at which they will be considered by the Clubs.”

What is integrity to them? A word to be cast aside in the interests of commercial expediency. It’s just business: RBS, SPL, what’s the difference?

Who will stand up for a just outcome? They rely on us, the fans, their customers being too fragmented and while ready to moan ultimately willing to hold our noses and keep paying for what will be a travesty of a competition. Are there enough of us to send them a message they cannot ignore?

All those who feel that a newco Rangers straight back in the SPL will be the end for them and for scottish football need to demonstrate this. All of us must unite, whatever our teams.

How should we demonstrate? One option: At the next set of SPL matches, for the first minute of the game, turning our backs on the action and being totally silent while banners were unfurled with a simple message…. “No integrity, no sport” The one minute would symbolise the fate awaiting the SPL. Thousands of fans prepared to turn their backs on the game.

If you think this is a good idea, please give it a thumbs up, if not fair enough, thumbs down. If you have an alternative, lets have it. If enough can unite, we can influence this. Across various football blogs I see indignation and frustration. We need to unite behind a gesture that is peaceful but cannot be ignored.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now is the time to end the joint sponsorship deals as well. Always found it absurd that celtic has had joint sponsorship deals with rangers. It’s all about not being associated with them at all.

Personally with the charitable roots of the club I would like to see Celtic do something similar to when Barcelona tied up with unicef but If not no more alcohol or gambling companies on the shirt.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I think the problem is that the potential is there that Rangers have been cheating everyone for years through tax evasion, dual contracts and, more recently, non payment of transfer fees and other bills like the police, stewarding, ambulance service and the local paper shop yet clubs are ready to turn around, pull their trousers down and get pumped up the bottom.

It is all wrong.

If they have been operating dual contracts then their players haven't been registered properly and all matches should be awarded 3-0 to the opposition. They shouldn't even be in the SPL under these circumstances.

I fear that the consequences of the demise of Rangers are deemed to be so great that the above is being ignored in many ways. There is a certain rush to dismiss the indignation of the Celtic fan as being nothing more than joy in the potential humiliation of their greatest rival however while this may be true it does not mask the magnitude of what we are dealing with here.

If Rangers have done what they have done regarding player contracts then it is no more than a complex match-fixing plot. Yes, the games were still played out on the pitch and no outcome was pre-determined but the cards were certainly stacked to such an extent that the outcome was almost a certainty.

While I worry for Scottish football without Rangers that in itself does not make for a reason to keep them at all costs in the light of the facts that are emerging. There is also a very real danger that we have passed the point of no-return either way.

If a club like Rangers are publicly seen to come back from the brink it could ultimately signal the indirect death of other clubs. How can a football club obtain a line of credit anywhere if the biggest club is allowed to survive in the face of theirs. Why will the local newsagent supply papers to Dundee United in future if Rangers can effectively "get away" with not paying for theirs? If a club can simply reinvent itself in the face of such debt and reappear in the same league, the same colours and playing in the same stadium then there will be no faith that any club will ever really need to pay its debts as they can go down the same path if needs be. No club or business for that matter can survive in a "cash up front" envirnonment that is for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is all wrong.

Here is a Dundee Utd fans take on it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support these proposals either, I just think it would be a bit much to start talking about corruption and whatever else at this stage. Even if the other SPL clubs go along with it (which is a big if) they'd be doing it for their own sake, not for the sake of Rangers.

On the registration issue, I think it's pretty complicated. There's usually a distinction made between registration and contracts and it doesn't necessarily follow that if there's a contractual transgression then the registration ceases to be valid. That was pretty much the case with Tevez at West Ham, for instance, and the judgement was that even though Tevez's contract broke the rules, they couldn't retrospectively cancel his registration and declare him ineligible for the matches he'd already played in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I don't support these proposals either, I just think it would be a bit much to start talking about corruption and whatever else at this stage. Even if the other SPL clubs go along with it (which is a big if) they'd be doing it for their own sake, not for the sake of Rangers.

On the registration issue, I think it's pretty complicated. There's usually a distinction made between registration and contracts and it doesn't necessarily follow that if there's a contractual transgression then the registration ceases to be valid. That was pretty much the case with Tevez at West Ham, for instance, and the judgement was that even though Tevez's contract broke the rules, they couldn't retrospectively cancel his registration and declare him ineligible for the matches he'd already played in.

Iirc Tevez contract was fine, it was the third party ownership which was the issue - it was also one player as Mascherano had already been 'sold'.

With Rangers its the contracts and a vast number of players over a long period of time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iirc Tevez contract was fine, it was the third party ownership which was the issue - it was also one player as Mascherano had already been 'sold'.

With Rangers its the contracts and a vast number of players over a long period of time.

Going back a bit here, but Tevez and Mascherano's contracts also broke the rules. That's why after the Premier League's ruling Tevez had to sign a new contract that didn't breach any rules before he was allowed to play for the remainder of the season.

In any case I don't think the situations are identical, but the basic principle of retrospectively revoking the registration of players (who were deemed to be eligible at the time) is a bit problematic in my opinion. I'd be surprised if anyone takes the line that all of the players with dual contracts can be declared ineligible and all of the matches Rangers played during this period can be awarded to the opposition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Stewart Regan has already asked the Politicians to stop interfering.

Clearly he should be aware that the sponsors of the league cup aren't going to stand and watch Rangers fail, otherwise what if they pull the plug on the sponsorship deal?
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Stewart Regan has already asked the Politicians to stop interfering.

Clearly he should be aware that the sponsors of the league cup aren't going to stand and watch Rangers fail, otherwise what if they pull the plug on the sponsorship deal?

So we can assume from this then that politcians in scotland hve been getting involved in this or why would regan feel the need to do such a thing.
  • Options
    UriahUriah Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    I fear that the consequences of the demise of Rangers are deemed to be so great that the above is being ignored in many ways. There is a certain rush to dismiss the indignation of the Celtic fan as being nothing more than joy in the potential humiliation of their greatest rival however while this may be true it does not mask the magnitude of what we are dealing with here.

If Rangers have done what they have done regarding player contracts then it is no more than a complex match-fixing plot. Yes, the games were still played out on the pitch and no outcome was pre-determined but the cards were certainly stacked to such an extent that the outcome was almost a certainty.

While I worry for Scottish football without Rangers that in itself does not make for a reason to keep them at all costs in the light of the facts that are emerging. There is also a very real danger that we have passed the point of no-return either way.

If a club like Rangers are publicly seen to come back from the brink it could ultimately signal the indirect death of other clubs. How can a football club obtain a line of credit anywhere if the biggest club is allowed to survive in the face of theirs. Why will the local newsagent supply papers to Dundee United in future if Rangers can effectively "get away" with not paying for theirs? If a club can simply reinvent itself in the face of such debt and reappear in the same league, the same colours and playing in the same stadium then there will be no faith that any club will ever really need to pay its debts as they can go down the same path if needs be. No club or business for that matter can survive in a "cash up front" envirnonment that is for sure.

Well-balanced post. Agree 100%
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now is the time to end the joint sponsorship deals as well. Always found it absurd that celtic has had joint sponsorship deals with rangers. It’s all about not being associated with them at all.

Personally with the charitable roots of the club I would like to see Celtic do something similar to when Barcelona tied up with unicef but If not no more alcohol or gambling companies on the shirt.

Are you on some sort of mind inducing drug - Celtic to have a Unicef type sponsorship deal.:D

I can really see Lennon being the new face of Unicef.:eek:
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    If you have the Rangers badge on your shirt does that count as a charity logo?! (joke!!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question for Rangers fans:

If your club is found guilty of the 'dual contracts' and have the BTC go in HMRC's favour in full - what do you think your punishment should be?

Bear in mind that this would set a precedent for future cases if there end up being other SPL clubs involved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Only in scotland would you see this. The corruption and bending of the rules to suit one side is nothing short of disgusting.

They would do the same for either side of the Old Firm but it still doesn't make it right.
  • Options
    Auld ReekieAuld Reekie Posts: 195
    Forum Member

Personally with the charitable roots :confused:of the club I would like to see Celtic do something similar to when Barcelona tied up with unicef but If not no more alcohol or gambling companies on the shirt.
    The thing is Celtic and Rangers are both cheeks of the same a**e.
    They thrive of each others bile.
    Both evil institutions.
  • Options
    Hibs-kid-2007Hibs-kid-2007 Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    A further reminder for any predictors....

Aberdeen V Hibernian Sat 12:15
    Hearts v Celtic Sun 12:15ish

I really can't predict the Hibs game so i'm going for Aberdeen in the hope i'm wrong.

Aberdeen 1-0 Hibs
    Hearts 1-2 Celtic
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hibernian 0 v Aberdeen 0

Celtic 1 v Hearts 1
  • Options
    Hibs-kid-2007Hibs-kid-2007 Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    It's all getting rather nasty on here. New Rangers filth? I mean really? Filth?

All this does is builds the whole 'No-one likes us we don't care' mentality. This is not something I normally buy into but the more I read this thread lately the more it makes me actually start feeling this way.

I think it came across the wrong way but basically meant how messed up the whole situation is and is riddled with flaws and any new team should be made to start from the bottom and work there way up.
    I don't think HK meant it in the way you think. I took it as a NewCo Rangers would be filth, which tbh with the amount of people who'd be shafted inc. HMRC/police etc... he would have a point.

Exactly...
    Uriah wrote: »
    Definite gamble HK - nothing to lose at this stage of the competition. All to play for, have to go for it, show some bottle and every other cliché used in football ;)

Hibs turnung a corner? Would love to see them make it to the final. Even better if they humped Hearts at Hampden :D

3-0 to the 'R's last nite. Joey Barton is a bit of a Samaras, either brilliant or pish-poor. No in-inbetween :eek:

Yeah definitely nothing to lose, I will tell you if Hibs are turning a corner after tomorrow.....on each seat in the Hibs support there will be a A3 green or white card to hold up for when the teams come out and there will be streamers to create a bit of atmosphere and effect.

If Hibs win, i'd love a Hibs v Hearts final, if we won that then not only can we brag about beating them in the final they will shut up about 1902 and the semi final and their recent record over us. If it were to be a Edinburgh final, there will be the usual debate about Murrayfield or Hampden. You can't beat a trip to Hampden though, drinking on the M8, scarfs out the window singing along to the Proclaimers.

I definitely think it's a 1 goal game, we have drawn 0-0 twice at ER and they beat us 2-1 at Pittodrie. Very tight dull affair i'm expecting with a cracking atmosphere.

I missed the QPR game the other night but good to see Mackie scoring goals, a player I didn't really rate much but he's come onto his game this season and really looks a player.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have kind of given up on Rangers stuff now, so bored with it.

The new rules might be the difference whether they get a buyer on not, to be honest liquidation is starting to look inevitable
  • Options
    UriahUriah Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C'Mon Hibs :)
  • Options
    robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great result for Hibs. Very tense throughout, but O'Connor and Griffiths did the business.

Back to Hampden then in May, and maybe, just maybe a bit of history!
This discussion has been closed.