Ideas for band themed nights for BBC4?

Comments

• I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want them to do a night on Big Star. Of course that would elicit cries of "never 'eard of 'em" from all round but they were a seminal US band from the 1970s with a cult following. They released three great albums which, before enayone asks, never got anywhere near the charts. The timing is right as a documentary film has recently been made about them, which would make for a great centrepiece for a Friday theme night. The story of the band is interesting too, from singer Alex Chilton's origins in the Box Tops (who had a hit with The Letter) through to his recent death as well as that of Chris Bell back in the late 70s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Garage punk band member, poet, photographer, film-maker, author and artist, 'Wild' Billy Childish.

A clip from each of his many bands alone would fill a good couple of hours (Pop RIvets, The Milkshakes, The Mighty Caesars, Thee Headcoats and The Buff Medways to name but a few).

A fascinating man with an equally fascinating, sometimes harrowing story to tell.
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose an A-Ha documentary would be out of the question.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose an A-Ha documentary would be out of the question.

you suppose correctly.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Good call - they could also include Peter Bauman's solo efforts as well...

Still waiting for his classic Strangers in the Night LP to be released on CD with all the remixes. I’ll have to warn my grandkids to look out for it on holo-disc as I’ll be long dead before it gets a re-release.
    ..plus live concert footage (they always sounded so much better live).

Saw them at Shepherd’s Bush back in the mid-nineties doing a 3 hour concert. The girlfriend was not best pleased!
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see more rock nights. However do the BBC actually have a sufficient library of these. I would hope that they still have plenty of old Whistle tests. For example Heavy Metal britannia and Guitar hereos at BBC have been shown several times over

Its OK wanting bands like Japan etc but do the beeb actually have an evening worth of stuff from these bands
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you suppose correctly.

Oh well. Worth a shot :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any No 1 albums or singles between them ?

doesn`t matter if they are iconic :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stan ridgeway
    severed heads
    devo
    The Residents
    half man half biscuit
    the fall
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D

Bill Nelson ?

Only serious suggestions please, how about The Who or The Kinks, The Small Faces ?

Bill Nelson would be a great choice.:)
    But most around here would not know one of our greatest guitarists.
    To be honest, most ideas put forward would be worthy of a BB4 night.
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ned Huntum wrote: »
    I'd be happy with any of: Cabaret Voltaire, David Sylvian, Echo & The Bunnymen, John Foxx, Dead Can Dance.

Ah. we have very similar tastes.
    Off to see DCD in Barcelona in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to hear Lisa's voice once again. :D
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aussie Rock Night
    Canada Rock Night
    King Crimson Rock Night
    Trevor Horn Night

Bill Nelson (and Be Bop Deluxe) for those who don't know
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone beat me to it, rainbow and co for me too. don't forget Blackmores night.

I loved ELO when I was a kid, I have seen them perform without Jeff Lynn a few times under various names with Bev Bevan or Kelly Groucutt talking the lead vocals. they were great each time I saw them( must be five or six times) the last time I saw them was just before Kelly died and each time their audience was of mixed age and everyone was having a ball.

I always thought Jeff Lynne was a bit of a Pratt and he confirmed my thoughts when he was on the One Show tonight. I certainly won't be buying his re recorded ELO album or his new cover album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    i really love when bbc4 show documentaries about a singer or group and different genres on friday nights heres some suggestions from me

wire
    4ad records
    rough trade records
    chess records
    stevie wonder
    mutant disco
    throbbing gristle
    captain beefheart
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heres some suggestions from me

rough trade records

They’ve done Rough Trade!
  • LabLab Posts: 2,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Blue Aeroplanes
    "Britain's Best Rock 'n' Roll Band" (Melody Maker, 1993)

Beat poetry combined with a love of Plath, Auden, Fairport Convention, The Kinks and Velvet Underground. Nice knack with a tune too. What's not to like?

Plenty of higher profile collaborations to look in to (Massive Attack, Strangelove, Suede etc).

Gerard Langley , 'singer': "We get asked why we use so many instruments.... Nobody asks a painter why they use so many colours!"
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about a Genesis night. There must be plenty of stuff about them as well as their solo careers.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Still waiting for his classic Strangers in the Night LP to be released on CD with all the remixes. I’ll have to warn my grandkids to look out for it on holo-disc as I’ll be long dead before it gets a re-release.
    Hey, I bought the LP when it was first released.

Saw them at Shepherd’s Bush back in the mid-nineties doing a 3 hour concert. The girlfriend was not best pleased!
    Birmingham Town Hall late 75, and Birmingham Odeon a year or two later I think, as well as Edgar Froese solo at Birmingham Odeon.

There was something about the pure power of some of the low electronic tones live that you could never reproduce at home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, I bought the LP when it was first released.

Classic synth-pop LP. For some reason I always associate it with another couple of 80s [unexpectedly] electronic albums, Ian “Jethro Tull” Anderson’s Walk Into Light and Neil Young’s Trans.
    Birmingham Town Hall late 75, and Birmingham Odeon a year or two later I think, as well as Edgar Froese solo at Birmingham Odeon.

Jealous. One of my earliest record buying memories is buying Atem in Virgin Megastore Sheffield purely off where it was racked in the store and the cover artwork. Youngsters today will never know that thrill!
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huey Lewis?
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh - how about a John Miles night?
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are so many bands/artists I'd love to see get the BBC4 treatment. Kate Bush would be my first choice but sadly I can't see her ever agreeing to it :cry:
    Some other's I'd love to see are Mike Oldfield, Blondie, The Pogues, Boomtown Rats, Jesus & Mary Chain, The Stranglers, XTC, CCR & John Fogerty, Ry Cooder, Marriot & Small Faces, Talk Talk, Bunnymen, Japan, Mott The Hoople, Steve Harley, Roy Wood, Eddy Grant, UB40, Nazareth, King Crimson, 10CC, Skids & Big Country, Tears For Fears, Frankie Valli, Manfred Mann, The Troggs... there you go BBC that's next year's line up sorted, please get on with it :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    The Dubliners, to end their 50 Year anniversary.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diana Ross has been in the business as long as The Stones and deserves a special. This was a lady who matured from a very talented singer in a girl band to a solo superstar and had a career that embraced soul, funk, disco, pop, electro, house and ballads. Actually we'll skip the house album as it was pants, but in her prime she was one of the best lady singers in the world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    how about a YES night ?
    almost a different line-up every album comes out...