What are you reading at the moment? (Part 3)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I'm re-reading the Adrian Mole series, on book 2. I forgot how brilliantly funny they are!
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buntym wrote: »
    Just started Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb, the last part in the Liveships Trilogy.

Really enjoying the Liveship books, however just wish I'd read them before I read The Tawny Man books!

I love all those trilogies! For me, the Liveship traders trilogy is probably my favourite but also really love the 1st one too! What are your thoughts on them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hunger Games Suzanne Collins. Was worried it wouldnt live up to the hype but am enjoying it muchly so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    I love all those trilogies! For me, the Liveship traders trilogy is probably my favourite but also really love the 1st one too! What are your thoughts on them?

I guess Liveship Traders differs as its from the point of view of several different character whereas Farseer and Tawny Man are all told from the point of view of Fitz. I must admit that the Farseer and Tawny Man books did actually make me cry at several points - takes something special to make me shed a tear!

I love the cross over between all the books and it's great to find out more about stuff like the Elderlings.

Will be very sorry to get to the end!
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lennon:The Ultimate Biography - Ray Coleman
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,332,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Life & Laughter: My Story - Michael McIntyre
  • harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Men I've Loved Before - Adele Parks
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Three Men In A Boat - Jerome K. Jerome
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three Men In A Boat - Jerome K. Jerome
    I love that book - really funny.

I've just started on Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I watched the TV series a year or so ago and really enjoyed it, hopefully the book will be even better. I'm planning to read World Without End straight afterwards in preparation for the tv version. I think that it's going to be shown on Channel 4 later this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forever is Over - Calvin Wade. I'm nearly half-way through this book and it's fantastic. In a similar vein to One Day but don't let that put you off as it is much much better imo. The storyline is interesting and the characters are well-rounded. I love it!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The White Lie Andrea Gillies
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Just finished Your voice in my head- Emma Forrest.
    Really enjoyable but probably because I know the background a little and realise that the boyfriend she refers to as gypsy husband is Colin Farell.

Then I read The night circus - Erin Morgenstern also very enjoyable.

Just started The family Fang - Kevin Wilson and shockingly this too has started well.

It is a rare day I get 3 books that I enjoy very much in a row.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,464
    Forum Member
    Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell

The Echoing Grove by Rosamond Lehmann
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    The White Lie Andrea Gillies

Couldnt get into this one, so changed to Kind Of Cruel Sophie Hannah.
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buntym wrote: »
    Just started Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb, the last part in the Liveships Trilogy.

Really enjoying the Liveship books, however just wish I'd read them before I read The Tawny Man books!

Interesting to hear that. I read Assassin's Apprentice a couple of years ago but the library didn't have the rest of the trilogy and I sort of forgot about them. Borrowed the aforementioned book from a different library last week and made a comment to the librarian (who I know is a fantasy fan) about how they didn't have the second book in the second trilogy (Golden Fool) at which point he told me that although it doesn't contain Fitz as such, the liveship trilogy was very important and I must read it.
    I'd become so convinced that I wanted to follow Fitz that I'd forgotten there was even something in between.

It will take some time for me to get round to all of them, but the comments on here have made me quite excited about embarking on Hobb's work :)

Still don't know what I'm going to do about Golden Fool though, don't want to buy it because I'd have to buy the first 7 books first! (I have a thing about order :o )
  • __melissa__melissa Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    The Secret History - Donna Tartt

I'd heard so many good things about this book before reading it and so far it's living up to the hype!
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    __melissa wrote: »
    The Secret History - Donna Tartt

I'd heard so many good things about this book before reading it and so far it's living up to the hype!

Ohh that's a goodie. I really enjoyed it.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished Cuckoo by Julia Crouch. It's about a woman called Rose and her family, who appear to live an idyllic life until Rose's old friend Polly comes to stay with them and suddenly, bad things seem to start happening all over the place.

I would have preferred it to be a bit more subtle, and I didn't find Rose very sympathetic - not sure if this was intentional or not. A gripping story though and well written.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished Cuckoo by Julia Crouch. It's about a woman called Rose and her family, who appear to live an idyllic life until Rose's old friend Polly comes to stay with them and suddenly, bad things seem to start happening all over the place.

I would have preferred it to be a bit more subtle, and I didn't find Rose very sympathetic - not sure if this was intentional or not. A gripping story though and well written.

Nor me. What happened to Rose was almost like karmic justice because she was certainly no angel! I thought the book had great potential but became farcical towards the end.

Currently reading The Ritual by Adam Nevill - a story about a group of university friends whose hike across the Swedish wilderness turns into a terrifying nightmare. I'm only a few chapters in, but the book grabbed me immediately.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Lowri wrote: »
    Interesting to hear that. I read Assassin's Apprentice a couple of years ago but the library didn't have the rest of the trilogy and I sort of forgot about them. Borrowed the aforementioned book from a different library last week and made a comment to the librarian (who I know is a fantasy fan) about how they didn't have the second book in the second trilogy (Golden Fool) at which point he told me that although it doesn't contain Fitz as such, the liveship trilogy was very important and I must read it.
    I'd become so convinced that I wanted to follow Fitz that I'd forgotten there was even something in between.

It will take some time for me to get round to all of them, but the comments on here have made me quite excited about embarking on Hobb's work :)

Still don't know what I'm going to do about Golden Fool though, don't want to buy it because I'd have to buy the first 7 books first! (I have a thing about order :o )

I certainly recommend reading the rest of the books. I was the same about finding out what happened to Fitz so I managed to completely miss the existence of Liveship Traders books when I discovered the Tawny Man books and it wasn't till I was well into the first Tawny Man book that I realised I should have read Liveships first! Anyway by that point I decided to just carry on with the Tawny Man books. It's not a complete disaster to read the trilogies in the wrong order but I would have interested to see if I picked up on certain events / characters that overlap the books.

Hope you get around to reading them and enjoy them as much as I have!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Pelle the Conqueror by Martin Andersen Nexø. Seem to have been reading it for years now but I'm determined to finish it!
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2) - James Patterson (I have only read the first Alex Cross book so trying to read them all)
    Confessions of an Essex Girl - Becci Fox (apparently what TOWIE would be like without the constraints of TV)
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sealed Letter by Emma Donoghue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re-reading The Old Man and The Sea.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "The Hellraiser Chronicles" ~ edited by Stephen Jones

"The Adventures of Mr Maximillian Bacchus and his Travelling Circus" ~ recently published stories by the teenage Clive Barker.
This discussion has been closed.