Options

Nick Clegg: I am more anti-establishment now than when I entered government

BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
Forum Member
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/20/leader-interviews-nick-clegg-anti-establishment

Excuse me while I laugh my head off! He said it was possible for his party to be anti-establishment without being populist, despite still being part of the government. He also said parliament and PMQs are "a joke"

The man was DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER for five years and has done NOTHING to change any of that or show how anti-establishment he is. Ridiculous!

I think the Lib Dems are losing the plot a bit tbh. Look at the rather desperate editing job they've to Labour's new election poster: https://twitter.com/libdems/status/578945214263529472 And that yellow budget business...

They can't decide whether to defend the coalitions record or separate themselves from it. It won't matter anyway. Everyone knows they'll gladly jump back in to bed with the Tories all over again in May given the opportunity as The Guardian's "Clegg source" hints at here: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/14/lib-dems-lose-half-seats-still-hold-power-tory-coalition "Lib Dems could lose half seats and still hold power, Clegg source claims" I wouldn't be so smug about our broken election system if I was them!

Comments

• Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is part of it.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/20/leader-interviews-nick-clegg-anti-establishment

Excuse me while I laugh my head off! He said it was possible for his party to be anti-establishment without being populist, despite still being part of the government. He also said parliament and PMQs are "a joke"

The man was DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER for five years and has done NOTHING to change any of that or show how anti-establishment he is. Ridiculous!

I think the Lib Dems are losing the plot a bit tbh. Look at the rather desperate editing job they've to Labour's new election poster: https://twitter.com/libdems/status/578945214263529472 And that yellow budget business...

They can't decide whether to defend the coalitions record or separate themselves from it. It won't matter anyway. Everyone knows they'll gladly jump back in to bed with the Tories all over again in May given the opportunity as The Guardian's "Clegg source" hints at here: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/14/lib-dems-lose-half-seats-still-hold-power-tory-coalition "Lib Dems could lose half seats and still hold power, Clegg source claims" I wouldn't be so smug about our broken election system if I was them!

Your links don't work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Your links don't work.

ok here.
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Your links don't work.

Fixed them.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    Fixed them.

Thanks Boyard.:)

Some of what he says makes sense.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably more anti-establishment because he's now seen how it works from the inside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is on BBC news now, outside a pub, with a pint, a packet of crisps, who does that remind you of.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is on BBC news now, outside a pub, with a pint, a packet of crisps, who does that remind you of.

The person who is standing in Thanet South, whatsisname, you know, the Pub Landlord...
  • Options
    BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vote for me, I'm pure mental.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

Cameron has also been to a pub. He left a child in one at least once.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I laughed at the way he quickly picked up the pint to make sure he was on camera supping it as he was asked the questions. Oh dear. It felt very staged to me. I'm sure he enjoys a pint as much as the next man but it didn't feel genuine. Could the BBC journo not carry his own pint outside?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »

I menat Farrago.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »

His wife left the child.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    He'll be anti-employed in about two months.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Shortly followed by becoming part of that big establishment in Brussels where he can spout his pro eu bull to his hearts content.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    He'll be remembered as the man who killed the Liberal Democrats. His decision to enter a coalition government with his ideological enemies and enable their assault upon the poor and sick, and the betrayal of principles should never be forgiven.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your mum.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clegg also said he doesn't think Alex Salmond will win the (currently Lib Dem) constituency, Gordon, Salmond is running in, in the election.

Methinks Clegg is losing it to be honest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-31970118
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Nick Clegg: I am more anti-establishment now than when I entered government
    John M wrote:
    Sorry is the Nick Clegg who went through private education before embarking on an uninterrupted career as a bureaucrat in Europe, an MP in Wesminster, and has just spent 5 years as deputy leader of a coalition Government?

How much more f**king establishment is is possible to get? Does he need to marry a royal or something?

^^^ Now how true is that?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    This mans first proper job was as senior bag carrier and assistant to Leon Brittan. That tells me all you need to know about Clegg!
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your mum.

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More likely he'll cling on to his seat. Could easily find himself dropping 5 to 10 thousands votes on 2010, but he'll still retain his seat with that. Tories will probably increase their share; Labour even more so due to the type of candidate and effort they're putting in.

If I had to predict votes in Sheffield Hallam it would be: Lib (18,000), Con (14,000), Labour (12,000).
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    turning into a slimy little changeling, even seeing him for a second on the news he now thinks he's nigel farage ..... what a JOKE!
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He'll be remembered as the man who killed the Liberal Democrats. His decision to enter a coalition government with his ideological enemies and enable their assault upon the poor and sick, and the betrayal of principles should never be forgiven.

I think history's verdict on Clegg as the man who put the muzzle on the rabid, snarling, drooling Tory dog is going to be much kinder than most people currently imagine. And no I'm not a Lib Dem.
  • Options
    Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    I think history's verdict on Clegg as the man who put the muzzle on the rabid, snarling, drooling Tory dog is going to be much kinder than most people currently imagine. And no I'm not a Lib Dem.

I disagree. History only really tends to remember the broad brush-strokes. If we're speaking in historical terms there's no way the nuance of policy influence will be prominently.