What are you reading at the moment? (Part 3)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading Trip to the North Pole. Watched the movie The Polar Express many times, but it is my first time to read the book.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fever of the Bone, Val McDirmid. Really enjoying it as well:)
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phantom - Jo Nesbo

Got it on Friday, 300 pages in, excellent read. Had to put it down to go and see my Mum.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Kathryn Stockett- The Help
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Virginia Woolf's "Mrs Dalloway". Beautifully written but showing its age. A sensation back in the 20s though an it's easy to see why
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never read any Roald Dahl as a child - so briskly went through the BFG .. Brilliant
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished the Blackhouse - the First in Peter May's Lewis triology .. A murder mystery/police procedural on the face of it but life in the Hebrides takes centre stage. A well researched novel it brings Fin the policeman back from Edinburgh to his roots and the complex relationships between him and his former schoolfriends. Full of dark secrets, personal tragedies, guilty consciences .. a very powerful evocative book .. despite the rather cliched ending. Look forward to Book 2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished iain Banks's "The Crow Road". A tale of the dysfunctional lives of the McHoan and Urvill families on the west coast of Scotland. Full of dark humour and dark secrets. Am reading "The Wasp Factory" now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Sophie Hannah's "Kind of Cruel". As has been noted on this forum, quite hard to get into the narrative. There's too much focus on the marginal policemen involved in the story. But the characters are credible if some of the circumstances are hard to imagine. Well worth a read for Hannah fans and those who enjoy psychological thrillers
    Forum Member
    dymafi wrote: »
    Finished Sophie Hannah's "Kind of Cruel". As has been noted on this forum, quite hard to get into the narrative. There's too much focus on the marginal policemen involved in the story. But the characters are credible if some of the circumstances are hard to imagine. Well worth a read for Hannah fans and those who enjoy psychological thrillers

are the two police officers (simon and charlie i think it is) too-ing and fro-ing about being a couple even though they are just married?
    This aspect of sophie hannahs books are what i find most annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's grim too, good luck! :D

You're not wrong, there!! :eek: About half way through so far.
    Never read any Roald Dahl as a child - so briskly went through the BFG .. Brilliant

My son (7) adores Roald Dahl so we've been through pretty much all of them!! His fave is Matilda :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am about to start catching fire, the second in the hunger games trilogy.
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Just finished Karla Forbes' The Preacher - great read - quite amusing & thought provoking
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just came here to write about this book.

I really, really enjoyed it and stayed up far later than was wise last night because I couldn't put it down. I didn't like the first few chapters because I thought the author was trying too hard to make Amber quirky and funny, but after that Amber's voice seemed to settle down and become more normal so I could relate to her more. I loved that the story developed slowly, with new information coming frequently enough to stop me getting bored but not so quickly that I couldn't take it all in.

I found the scenes with the policemen confusing. I don't think it helped that there was Sam, Simon, Snowman and Sellers - too many S's and I kept muddling them up, especially when Simon is sometimes called Waterhouse and Proust sometimes called Snowman. I don't know why their relationships were so complex when nothing was resolved and nothing added to the story. What was the purpose of Olivia and Gibbs' relationship? Why did we need to know about Simon's psychological problems?

I also think the murderer's motive was far too weak for such a good story, and I felt a bit let down by it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny Colgan, Talking To Addison.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just came here to write about this book.

I really, really enjoyed it and stayed up far later than was wise last night because I couldn't put it down. I didn't like the first few chapters because I thought the author was trying too hard to make Amber quirky and funny, but after that Amber's voice seemed to settle down and become more normal so I could relate to her more. I loved that the story developed slowly, with new information coming frequently enough to stop me getting bored but not so quickly that I couldn't take it all in.

I found the scenes with the policemen confusing. I don't think it helped that there was Sam, Simon, Snowman and Sellers - too many S's and I kept muddling them up, especially when Simon is sometimes called Waterhouse and Proust sometimes called Snowman. I don't know why their relationships were so complex when nothing was resolved and nothing added to the story. What was the purpose of Olivia and Gibbs' relationship? Why did we need to know about Simon's psychological problems?

I also think the murderer's motive was far too weak for such a good story, and I felt a bit let down by it.

Have you read her others? They all feature the same set of Police people and their story is ongoing...

I love Sophie Hannah's books, they remind me a little of Agatha Christie in the way she pulls the wool over my eyes every single time! :D

Am just reading the last of the Hunger Games books - Mockingjay. Have loved every minute of these.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I've still a chapter of Three Men In A Boat to go but as it's on the ole I-pad I've made a start on Master and Magraita by Mikhail Bulgakov (so as to have something to read in the bath) which, so far, is excellent.

I can't get to grips with the I-pad reading lark. Everytime I turn over in bed it goes from portrait to landscape and is annoying. Still, it was free so who am I to complain but I can't see it taking over from print for me.
  • KitKat21KitKat21 Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished The Ritual by Adam Nevill - was weird but oddly gripping!

Now reading Birdman by Mo Hayder. Also bought The Treatment and Hanging Hill by the same author.

Lots of books I've found through this thread - love it! :o
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Am about to start catching fire, the second in the hunger games trilogy.

This line made me laugh (I'd not heard of the book, and thought your post might be a cry for help!! :D:o)

I'm reading the Land of Painted Caves by Jean Auel. Like all her books, the descriptions can go on and are a bit repetitive, but I enjoy the stories.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HollyC wrote: »
    This line made me laugh (I'd not heard of the book, and thought your post might be a cry for help!! :D:o)

I'm reading the Land of Painted Caves by Jean Auel. Like all her books, the descriptions can go on and are a bit repetitive, but I enjoy the stories.

Lol didnt even think about how that read :D
  • kristinand24kristinand24 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading Robert Crais- Elvis Cole/Joe Pike Novels. Almost finished reading 2nd book Stalking the Angel and i really can't wait to start reading next ones. I think i'm addicted.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading Wuthering Heights for about the 5th or 6th time. I'm out of new books to read, so I'm falling back on my favourite book ever :)
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society:D v good indeed!!:D
    Forum Member
    Laura Wilson- A Capital Crime
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KitKat21 wrote: »
    Just finished The Ritual by Adam Nevill - was weird but oddly gripping!

Now reading Birdman by Mo Hayder. Also bought The Treatment and Hanging Hill by the same author.

Lots of books I've found through this thread - love it! :o

I've just finished Birdman and am now reading The Treatment. Not for the faint hearted but very good!!
This discussion has been closed.