Options

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly - I'll wait til you've finished reading Sid :)

Put Eleni down last night. Thought it was an incredibly powerful book - it horrified me in places. It definitely puts life into perspective don't you think?
    I think the most moving moment in the book was when having escaped the guerillas, Nikolo was given bread by his rescuers and he saved half to give to his mother. That set me off! Glad that bitch who stabbed Eleni in the back and tormented the daughter that was left behind got her comeuppance in the end.

Thanks for the recommendation academia :)
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Put Eleni down last night. Thought it was an incredibly powerful book - it horrified me in places. It definitely puts life into perspective don't you think?
    I think the most moving moment in the book was when having escaped the guerillas, Nikolo was given bread by his rescuers and he saved half to give to his mother. That set me off! Glad that bitch who stabbed Eleni in the back and tormented the daughter that was left behind got her comeuppance in the end.

Glad you enjoyed it, Sid. It does give perspective, yes, about fundamental things. The whole thing got to me - the foot shooting (I wlll say no more) and the transport of the children and their ptiful suffering. Horrendous, horrendous.
    And Eleni herself - a giant of a woman.
    Village life too was fascinating - a whole new world can be visited in this book to meet amazing characters. That school master - GRRRRR
    Glad you had a good time!
    PS I too rejoiced when that creature got what was coming to her. And was angry that so few did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,332
    Forum Member
    This Charming Man - Marianne Keyes

It's written as each character thinks in a diary format, I'm hoping that that becomes less aggravating soon!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Memoirs of a Geisha. About half way through,so far so good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed it, Sid.

And Eleni herself - a giant of a woman.

PS I too rejoiced when that creature got what was coming to her. And was angry that so few did.

Eleni was remarkable. A true heroine.

And I like to think some of the other characters did pay for their betrayal in a way. After all, they had to live with what they'd done for the rest of their lives.....
    heyjude wrote: »
    This Charming Man - Marianne Keyes

It's written as each character thinks in a diary format, I'm hoping that that becomes less aggravating soon!

Stick with it Jude, I promise you get used to the way the chapters are narrated. This Charming Man is Keyes at her best in my opinion.
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    Started The Redeemer by Jo Nesbo and quickly realised I was reading a book out of sequence :eek:

So stopped it, read the paper on the Tram, and have now ordered Nemesis (the next book in the series) which will be started after a trip to WiFi friendly McDonalds :p
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rwould wrote: »
    Started The Redeemer by Jo Nesbo and quickly realised I was reading a book out of sequence :eek:

So stopped it, read the paper on the Tram, and have now ordered Nemesis (the next book in the series) which will be started after a trip to WiFi friendly McDonalds :p

Nemesis is my favourite out of the Harry Hole books. I hope you enjoy it :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J K Rowling
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steinbeck - The grapes of wrath
  • Options
    Miss HavershamMiss Haversham Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sword of Truth series - Blood of the Fold
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    borodave wrote: »

This is my all time favourite book same as Oprah apparently :eek:

I'm reading A Single man Christopher Isherwood. I'll probably watch the film after, any excuse for a Colin Firth fest ;):p
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    I finished reading Dean Koontz, breathless last night and started on Stephen King Needful things although I'm ony just started on Chapter one and read the You've been here before intro.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,332
    Forum Member
    Stick with it Jude, I promise you get used to the way the chapters are narrated. This Charming Man is Keyes at her best in my opinion.

I'm now hooked Sid :D

I'm also definitely putting the Eleni book on my too read list!
  • Options
    hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loubychew wrote: »
    Memoirs of a Geisha. About half way through,so far so good.
    borodave wrote: »

love both of those books.

Just started Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reading 'Anansi Boys' by Neil Gaiman. I am also reading through the Necronomicon commemorative collection of H.P. Lovecraft's weird tales.

I've just finished this and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've also just finished Bill Bryson's 'Neither Here Nor There', which was his usual gently humourous pleasant type of read.

I'm about to start Hermann Hesse's 'The Glass Bead Game' which my Dad says is one of his all-time favourite books, but which he also warned is quite heavy going. I'm a total reading lightweight, so I'm very scared!
  • Options
    mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry to butt in, :o
    Who is the book Eleni by?, I heard it mentioned somewhere awhile ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heyjude wrote: »
    I'm now hooked Sid :D

Yay!

I've decided to give the Walsh Family Books another go. I got one out at random and couldn't get into it but that was years ago and I didn't start with the first in the series which wouldn't have helped.
    Sorry to butt in, :o
    Who is the book Eleni by?, I heard it mentioned somewhere awhile ago.

Nicholas Gage :)
  • Options
    welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    Fireman - stephen Leather -
  • Options
    welshmamwelshmam Posts: 14,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    My daughter has just read Animal Farm by George Orwell and I picked it up to put back on the bookcase and decided to re read it myself. I had forgotten what a biting satire it is.

Also just read The Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson.
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    Button62 wrote: »
    Also just read The Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson.
    What did you think? I almost gave up with Patterson after that one.
  • Options
    harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just me a bit late :o
    I too thought the book very powerful and thought provoking. Must admit to knowing little about the Greek civil war prior to reading the book and would highly recommend to anyone interested in modern history.
    As an aside, would have liked to have seen the photo Niko talked about being taken when they had escaped - to put faces to the names - but presumably deemed too intrusive for the family.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    skeleton hill by peter lovesey
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Cynthia Owen- Living with Evil
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just finishing 'summer at fairacre' by miss read and about to start 'tales from thrush green' by the same author, lovely books, and i'm really enjoying them:)
This discussion has been closed.