Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 34)

Comments

• Options
    Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this maybe a daft question but I'm going to ask it anyway.... How do they know how many people have watched any given tv show?
  • Options
    WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks like the voice australia will be running Monday/tuesday for the live shows, as next week the Block is moving to six nights a week and airing at 6.30 on a sunday presumably followed by 60 minutes. Looks like NINE have also decided not to air Tricky business on a sunday but instead are airing the Mentalist meaning it will probably go on Wednesdays, but what does this mean for Celeb Apprentice? Unless they are holding back on Tricky Business a bit longer or are planing to air it Mondays after the Voice.

Regardless AGT looks set to flounder if it constantly clashes with the Voice on a Tuesday. Monday and Tuesday are really Seven's biggest nights usually so the Voice look likely to but a big dint into that
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder what BBC1 will show in place of their Bahrain Grand Prix programmes if the race gets cancelled. Two 80 minute slots to fill. Some of the animated films on their books must run for that length of time. Chicken Run?

Or will we just get Cash In The Effing Atttic?
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to this Mornings Sun ITV have axed Wild at Heart blaming high costs and bad ratings, cast blaming axe on TItanic they say.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    According to this Mornings Sun ITV have axed Wild at Heart blaming high costs and bad ratings, cast blaming axe on TItanic they say.

One of the leads in Wild At Heart has apparently been quite open with colleagues about the show headed for the chop. How much that actor actually knew, I don't know - and The Sun could just have printed the same story I heard ... but, then again ...

Either way, if it's true, it's a major blow to Company Pictures, what with Skins being concluded as well.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are ITV going to find a new show that could get 6-7m on a Sunday in between DOI against Call The Midwife from, nowhere I wouls say which would do even more harm to DOI which isn't in a healthy state as it is.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this maybe a daft question but I'm going to ask it anyway.... How do they know how many people have watched any given tv show?
    http://www.barb.co.uk/about/tv-measurement?_s=4

K
  • Options
    Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    And my point is that, that is an incredibly misleading way to look at the numbers because in reality only a tiny percentage of those 4.6k subscription fees would be used to cover the cost of Mad Men and thus the rate of subscription needs to be considerably higher.

Only that's not the case.

Mad Men isn't the only new piece of content that Sky have brought and therefore its not the only piece of content that new subscription fees would have to help push into profit. Your 4.6k subscribers also have to push the likes of Touch, Smash, Awake, Ringer, Love Machine, Secret Circle and God knows what else into profit as well not mention the new original British content because those account for additional costs that weren't previously there (just like Mad Men). More over you also have to factor in the promotional cost of Mad Men which would push this years price tag at least well above the £2.5 million you were using.

Like I said the only way your system actually works is if you account for Mad Men as a percentage of the spend at Sky and subtract that from the subscriber base. So for Mad Men to actually pay for itself it would need to be responsible for more than 4.6k new subscribers because rather than 100% of the subscription fee covering Mad Men 2% (or some other arbitrary and hypothetical figure) of the subscription fee covers Mad Men.

So whilst it is perfectly fair to say that the fee for Mad Men amounts to the same as 4.6k new subscribers it isn't fair to say that 4.6k new subscribers a year means that Mad Men's costs are covered because there are any other number of additional expenses (both related and non-related to Mad Men) that you aren't taking into account.

The 4.6k is the tiny percentage. The 1.1m is the whole number of new subs that Sky got in 2011.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    DS have updated the soap ratings. A good night for Emmerdale with both episodes over 7m for the climax to the Ashely/Sandy storyline. The second episode is on 7.5m with +1 included. Corrie and EE and neck and neck, both on 8.1m.
  • Options
    satman5000satman5000 Posts: 1,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Channel4Sales

Two Broke Girls Launches With Over 1 million On E4! In the biggest E4 overnight (Live+VOSDAL) audience so far this year.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sun have been serialising Tom Bower's new book about Simon Cowell all week (they are said to have paid £100,000 for the rights) and are suggesting today Cowell and ITV might fall out and he could take BGT and TXF elsewhere. Cowell claims ITV have not been giving him the support he expects and forced him to reinstate Gary Barlow when he thought Barlow was too wooden ! Or it could be The Sun just making mischief....
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    From comedy on 4 Facebook page: ‎2 Broke Girls launched on E4 last night. It was the biggest opening night for a new show since Glee!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After more than 16 years NBC's Today show has been toppled as the No 1 morning show by ABC. With regular NBC anchor Matt Lauer on leave ABC snatched a narrow victory.
    Average daily audiences week of April 9:

1. Good Morning America ABC 5.17 million
    2. Today NBC 5.14 million
    3. This Morning CBS 2.51 million

c Neilsen
  • Options
    LemonadeManLemonadeMan Posts: 81,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satman5000 wrote: »
    From Channel4Sales

Two Broke Girls Launches With Over 1 million On E4! In the biggest E4 overnight (Live+VOSDAL) audience so far this year.
    newkid30 wrote: »
    From comedy on 4 Facebook page: ‎2 Broke Girls launched on E4 last night. It was the biggest opening night for a new show since Glee!

Shame it was bloody awful.

And the superior New Girl, stupidly thrown onto Channel 4, is now in limbo.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always said there aren't enough US sitcoms about twenty-something women on Ch4/E4

Two Broke Girls, New Girl, Don't Trust the B___ in Apartment 23 (coming soon!)

Do these shows use each others scripts I wonder?
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Long Lost Family 4.6m
    New Tricks 4.3m
    Grandma's House 0.95m
    Two Greedy Italians 1.4m

From Attentional - Liam Hamilton on Twitter
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The Sun have been serialising Tom Bower's new book about Simon Cowell all week (they are said to have paid £100,000 for the rights) and are suggesting today Cowell and ITV might fall out and he could take BGT and TXF elsewhere. Cowell claims ITV have not been giving him the support he expects and forced him to reinstate Gary Barlow when he thought Barlow was too wooden ! Or it could be The Sun just making mischief....

I'd guess there is probably more truth in The Sun's story about Wild At Heart being axed than there is in this.

In Max Clifford, Cowell has a constant feed to The Sun and history has shown he is happy to have pretty much any rumour about him published provided it generates publicity. Just look at the ridiculous 'I'm not gay' 'story' from earlier this week.

If there is any truth in the story, it could only be that Cowell is in negotiations with ITV over future series of TXF/BGT, and ITV aren't coughing up as much money as he would like. In any case, which other broadcaster would want and also be able to afford TXF/BGT? The quick answer is Sky, but I can't see Cowell wanting to restrict the audience of his cash cows to that extent ...
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,763
    Forum Member
    DS have updated the soap ratings. A good night for Emmerdale with both episodes over 7m for the climax to the Ashely/Sandy storyline. The second episode is on 7.5m with +1 included. Corrie and EE and neck and neck, both on 8.1m.
    Corrie and EE and neck and neck, both on 8.1m... with their first showings, after first repeats EE was well ahead with 8.9m to Corrie's 8.3m. ;)
  • Options
    5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It say it all that they think the London Marathon is a key part of their sports calendar.
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »

If there is any truth in the story, it could only be that Cowell is in negotiations with ITV over future series of TXF/BGT, and ITV aren't coughing up as much money as he would like. In any case, which other broadcaster would want and also be able to afford TXF/BGT? The quick answer is Sky, but I can't see Cowell wanting to restrict the audience of his cash cows to that extent ...

Like Christmas in the shops the X-factor season seems to get earlier and earlier every year.

Actually the X-Factor is a bit like a puppy you get for Christmas, abandoned a week later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingbong wrote: »
    Like Christmas in the shops the X-factor season seems to get earlier and earlier every year.

As does the DS Christmas Radio Times thread:D
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They would be mad to axe Wild at Heart just because it is expensive to film in South Africa. Use imagination instead of simply giving up.

They should relocate the action to the UK, let them set up a wild life park and so get a newly revived format for the show with some of the same cast. Obvious really.

Better to keep a 6 million viewer series than create 'Scunthorpe Baby Doctors' or whatever they will try to cook up to dent CTM - which will probably end up not even being a hit in Scunthorpe. :)
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WAH is a tough one - but I suspect if it goes then they'd merge DOI and maybe put on something unscripted after it. They can't really launch any new drama in that slot next year - it'll get killed by CTM - and WAH may be too expensive for the ratings its getting (even though they're admirable given the competition and how long the show has been on). An alternative would be to move WAH out of that firing line to something like Wednesdays at 8pm where it might have a better chance?
    ftv wrote: »

Of all the things for ITV to argue about after all these years, arguing to keep last years panel seems absurd. If they don't make at least one good change, it's going to launch miles below last year. I think some of the y-o-y declines were 20% by the end of the series?

Get that hippie girl who was sacrificed for entertainment purposes on The Voice, bring back Gamu and hire a replacement for Kelly. Maybe bring back a finalist as well - they've only ever had judges houses acts back but bringing back a controversial eliminee could be good. Whatever they do, they need some press and an angle to bring back the old viewers. Ms Minogue might not be a realistic opportunity just now!

The big downside for ITV is that there has been bugger all about BGT in the book! The show has hardly been mentioned at all - even the usual teasers have been buried among the supposed "scandal".
This discussion has been closed.