Cat just has started drinking again.

ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Really worried about cat, back from vet,only today has he drunk some water,pleased but still fingers crossed,he needs to eat, any suggestions welcome, many thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, my cat returned from the vet after having a uti. The vet has recommended a good quality wet cat food, as this contains 80% water and not much ash/crude fibres etc. Also recommended a water fountain, and I have found this also very effective. Put plenty of water bowls around the house in secluded areas so it feels more comfortable. The stress of a vet visit upsets a cat, and it will take a bit of time to get back to normal. Main thing is to give the cats lots of reassurance and try not to get too wound up yourself. Keep an eye on the litter tray to make sure the output looks normal. If you are in any way concerned, phone your vet. :)
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    If only just back from vet, then its probably too soon to be concerned.

I agree with Snow White. Anything you can do to reassure him is good.

Does he like Cats milk? It might help if he won't take solids. Or can you tempt him with some tinned salmon? Or he maybe just feels a bit nauseous and needs a good sleep?

I wouldn't hesitate to phone the vet if you have questions.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try rainwater for drinking - I find my cats prefer "seasoned" water rather than what comes out of the tap. Perhaps the attraction of water fountains is that the movement of the water "blows off" the chlorine and makes it taste better.

They're also addicted to the water in the toilet bowl, although I wouldn't recommend it!!
  • ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has drunk a little,not much,eating none at all,have tried most things,he is looking at it and seems determined to eat, but still just draws away.
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    That's not good. He may be hungry but feeling some discomfort?

I'm no expert, but if it was my cat and I couldnt get him to eat for a few days, I wouldnt hesitate to get him back to the vets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found sitting on the floor with my cat and stroking him, talking very softly and in a fairly light tone helped sooth him enough to eat. Small am mount of food at a time. I made a kind of soup with the food, so it was more like a cat smoothie, than food. Is his mouth sore? What was he at the vet for?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snow White wrote: »
    I found sitting on the floor with my cat and stroking him, talking very softly and in a fairly light tone helped sooth him enough to eat. Small am mount of food at a time. I made a kind of soup with the food, so it was more like a cat smoothie, than food. Is his mouth sore? What was he at the vet for?
    Thyroid and Kidney, tests 'ok', i am giving him tablets since Wednesday,don't want to lose him,he is 15.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you giving him the tablets? or putting them in his food? At that age, he may associate you with the pills and be reluctant to eat if he sees you put the food down. Have you tried putting food in a dish away from him and gently encouraging him to see it. Try a really strong smelling food like tuna or shrimp. His nose may still be full of the vet smell!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat won't touch his food if I hide tablets in it, I crush them and put them in a bit of real butter (vet said it's fine). My cat has been ill recently, he has commandeered my bathroom, the bath cold tap is on constantly for him (don't tell the water company) I will be getting a water fountain instead. Leave bowls of fresh water in different places, as suggested and change often.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had Cat back at vets this week, still not eating,however i think Cat has tricked me into thinking he has taken tablets, i am now sitting with him for half a hour this morning making sure he takes them,also will try and adminster food by syringe.
  • KayleshKaylesh Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Both my cats were at the vets a few weeks ago with Upper respiratory infections and both on antibiotics..
    Here is something i sorted that got both of them to actually enjoy taking their tablets..
    I crushed them first.. then mixed them into Weebox Cats Delight lick-e-lix treats. They come in a box of 5 sachets(kinda like a thin paste) and come in various flavours like chicken and salmon.
    http://www.webboxpetfood.com/site/content_webbox_lick_e_lix.php
    First time i can say my two actually enjoyed taking their tablets cos it meant for the first time in eons they got treats twice a day for a week lol..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaylesh wrote: »
    Both my cats were at the vets a few weeks ago with Upper respiratory infections and both on antibiotics..
    Here is something i sorted that got both of them to actually enjoy taking their tablets..
    I crushed them first.. then mixed them into Weebox Cats Delight lick-e-lix treats. They come in a box of 5 sachets(kinda like a thin paste) and come in various flavours like chicken and salmon.
    http://www.webboxpetfood.com/site/content_webbox_lick_e_lix.php
    First time i can say my two actually enjoyed taking their tablets cos it meant for the first time in eons they got treats twice a day for a week lol..
    Thanks Kaylesh do you know were i can get this, hopefully Sainsburys as i am close by.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Zimmie wrote: »
    Thanks Kaylesh do you know were i can get this, hopefully Sainsburys as i am close by.

Yes, you can buy them in Sainsburys, they are in the cat treat section :)
  • KayleshKaylesh Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Yep Sainsburys has them so does pets at home.. can't remember if the other stores.. ie ASDA,Tesco carry em tho..
    it sure made my life sooooooo much easier :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He passed away, miss him, my friend.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    He passed away, miss him, my friend.

I'm very sorry.

It's not a good sign when ill cats stop eating......

Take comfort in that you did your best for him and he knew you loved him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    I'm very sorry.

It's not a good sign when ill cats stop eating......

Take comfort in that you did your best for him and he knew you loved him.
    I loved him, i had him for 15 years as a kitten from Rescue Centre, all those years he was there.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I loved him, i had him for 15 years as a kitten from Rescue Centre, all those years he was there.

You had each other. You have great memories and you'll never ever forget him. It's really hard to lose a much loved cat and most of us here really do understand what you're going through.