who would you like to direct the new star wars film?

13»

Comments

• terry66532terry66532 Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M. Night Shamalan

*ducks for cover*

hehe yes, his twist would be : the whole of star wars was just a dream.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Jonathan Frakes.

Episode 9 ends with the reveal that the whole of Star Wars was just some holodeck fantasy him and Deanna thought of.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point. A bold, fresh approach would certainly be for the best here.

However, if you look at other franchises, you can see another problem emerge - namely, how much of a personal stamp can the director put on it?

Some (Alien and M:I, say) often put high stylists at the helm, who can bring heir own vision to the proceedings. Results vary, of course, but I've always thought this was the right idea. Others (Bond, say) generally draw in journeymen for a solid, respectful result where nothing major marks them out from the others. A house style, almost.

I too think a Peter Jackson Star Wars would be great idea, but would they allow it to be Peter Jackson's Star Wars?

As you might have heard, this Disney/Lucasfilm deal may (or may not) have been prompted by Disney's recent failings in kick-starting a fantasy franchise of their own after Pirates. Tron, Prince of Persia and John Carter have all gone sideways...(yeah, yeah, I know, SW is a different matter).

Still. They're going to have be smart about this. And 2015? Too soon?

I still wonder what David Lynch's Return of the Jedi would've been like .
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryan singer perhaps?

what about ridley scott.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is - back in '78 no-one would've picked Kershner , but what a great choice that was !
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Shame he's dead but I would have loved to have seen Sam Peckinpah do a Star Wars movie, with Warren Oates as a Jedi :)

But seriously I'd like to see them use a director who is interested in character and story and not obsessed with filling the screen with special effects and cute/silly aliens with the toy market in mind.
  • mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    what this film needs is a good writer first and foremost.

whoever is directing is going to get tons of resources, but they are also going to be weighed down with lots of expectation and also the need for it to feel like a star wars movie.

for that reason i'd go for Edgar Wright, he's a massive star wars fan, he's in the Disney fold already (working on ant man), brings a lot of Fanboy credibility of the back of scot pilgrim etc.

make it happen, it makes all the sense in the world.
  • chimpsy23chimpsy23 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Joe Johnston for episode 7 then Ron Howard for episode 8 and brad bird for episode 9
  • cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Shame because I thought Prometheus was outstanding.

Each to their own but I also thought it was horrible. I usually love those kind of films but it bored me to tears.

My choice would be Joss Whedon.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    I still wonder what David Lynch's Return of the Jedi would've been like .
    Could never get my head around that one. Dune, maybe? Mind you, I quite liked it.
    mediarat wrote: »
    Fanboy credibility

Contradiction in terms, surely ;)

I know SW attracts nerds like flies around the proverbial, but it's still a mainstream franchise and that audience should come first. The last thing we need is something that panders to the fans but risks exclusion for the more casual viewer (no hideous fanwankery, as someone rather marvellously put it recently). Look at the sharp drop in revenue for Attack of the Clones for broad disinterest...
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Fincher - without a doubt. Greatest director around today.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Fincher - without a doubt. Greatest director around today.

anyone but him- massively overrated.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
    Forum Member
    tokenting wrote: »
    jj abrams
    Yes he did well with Star Trek.
  • Jon McManamyJon McManamy Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    how about Matthew Vaughn who directed X-Men: First Class? my top four choices would be 1) Joss Whedon 2) Peter Jackson 3) Guillermo del Toro 4) Matthew Vaughn
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    anyone but him- massively overrated.

Erm...

Seven
    Fight Club
    Zodiac
    Girl With The Dragon Tattoo...

If you would rather anyone but him that means you would prefer Michael Bay. And that would make you a clueless idiot.

Just saying :)
  • renno69renno69 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Kevin Smith could do it, massive star wars fan
    gave both carrie fisher and mark hamill roles in jay and silent bob
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uli Edel.

Would be an improvement
  • deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mediarat wrote: »
    Pick a real fan of the series to write it.
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Hopefully Katie Lucas will be involved in the writing process.

Yes. Her episodes are usually the best of the Clone Wars series.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Del Toro or Peter Jackson (although he'll probably be knee deep in completing the Hobbit trilogy) should be top of the list but I think Disney will go with people close to them ie: Lassiter or Brad Bird which I wouldn't mind.

Just take TIME with the story and characters first of all please.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Wes Anderson (let's face it all his movies are basically about father son dysfunctional relationships).
    The Coens.
    I thought Kenneth Branagh did a oood job with Thor and I would also like to see Sam Raimi
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    JaiJai wrote: »
    Del Toro or Peter Jackson (although he'll probably be knee deep in completing the Hobbit trilogy) should be top of the list but I think Disney will go with people close to them ie: Lassiter or Brad Bird which I wouldn't mind.

Just take TIME with the story and characters first of all please.

Del Toro is my favourite director around but I think he would be a bit too gloomy perhaps. I can see Lasseter or Brad Bird getting the job and doing it competently.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone but Peter Jackson, we want Star Wars not Star Bores.

But I'd go for Joss Whedon. Proved he can do it with Firefly. Gets the balance right (which is vital in all Sci Fi) of having characters you can relate to set against a fantastical backdrop.
  • DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    baz luhrmann
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    AICN has it that Brad Bird is in the frame along with Damon Lindelof on scripting duties.

Hotly contested elsewhere, mind.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Erm...

Seven
    Fight Club
    Zodiac
    Girl With The Dragon Tattoo...

If you would rather anyone but him that means you would prefer Michael Bay. And that would make you a clueless idiot.

Just saying :)

How the hell does that mean that? Surely someone who makes such assumptions is an idiot? Zodiac was utter drivel BTW, and his dragon tattoo was poor compared to the original.

Michael bay? Christ no.