Options

Problems installing some Windows Updates - Windows 8.1

Afternoon guys - hope some of you may be able to help me here.

I'm having some problems installing a few Windows Updates. When I go through the Windows Update process, I have a list of 5 important updates and 1 optional update. None of these will install through the normal Windows Update program.

I've tried downloading them individually from the Microsoft website and they still won't install. I'm running the 64bit version of Windows 8.1.

Any suggestions as to what I could do to get them installed?

Thanks in advance guys. :)

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might help if you listed what the updates are. They should all have a KBxxxxxxx number associated with them. Without knowing what actual updates are causing you issues it is impossible to offer any specific solution.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,899
    Forum Member
    Having similar problems with KB3000850 which is the optional 712MB roll-up. It just wont install giving a 80070002 error.

Tried various methods including going back to a system restore point just before the updates were issued last week and choosing just KB3000850, and downloading the update manually and installing that way but they also fail.

Giving up on it for the time being.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Might help if you listed what the updates are. They should all have a KBxxxxxxx number associated with them. Without knowing what actual updates are causing you issues it is impossible to offer any specific solution.
    Of course, you're quite right. The updates in question are:

KB3003057
    KB3006226
    KB2962409
    KB2967917
    KB2975719
    KB2984006
    KB2919355
    KB3000850 (the optional one)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Having similar problems with KB3000850 which is the optional 712MB roll-up. It just wont install giving a 80070002 error.

Tried various methods including going back to a system restore point just before the updates were issued last week and choosing just KB3000850, and downloading the update manually and installing that way but they also fail.

Giving up on it for the time being.

I had that one last night.

It took forever to actually do anything. It didn't seem to want to start downloading for ages after I clicked on the button in Control Panel and then decided to just arbitrarily kick off the download when I had clicked cancel and closed Control panel down!

And when I re-opened Control panel and went back to it it got to something like 90% and sat there doing nothing for several minutes then went into Installing update mode.

Was very odd. Not entirely sure why it played silly beggars like that but it did seem to eventually install. Whether it installed properly or not is anyone's guess though :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Of course, you're quite right. The updates in question are:

KB3003057
    KB3006226
    KB2962409
    KB2967917
    KB2975719
    KB2984006
    KB2919355
    KB3000850 (the optional one)

See my post above for the 3000850 one.

I had another update last night (not sure what - and not on the machine in question so can't check) that also played silly beggars. It took some persuading to kick off the download and installation.

I'm sort of wondering if there might not have been an issue with Microsoft's servers perhaps? Though that wouldn't explain why they won't install if you download them manually - unless you mean they don't download manually either? Did you select Save or Run after clicking the Download button?

If you clicked Run and the files didn't download then that would explain why they didn't install. But if you clicked Save and they downloaded OK then you would think they would work once the download had finished.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could just leave it a few days and see if it sorts itself out. Otherwise, try this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I had that one last night.

It took forever to actually do anything. It didn't seem to want to start downloading for ages after I clicked on the button in Control Panel and then decided to just arbitrarily kick off the download when I had clicked cancel and closed Control panel down!

And when I re-opened Control panel and went back to it it got to something like 90% and sat there doing nothing for several minutes then went into Installing update mode.

Was very odd. Not entirely sure why it played silly beggars like that but it did seem to eventually install. Whether it installed properly or not is anyone's guess though :)

That was the same behaviour I had - seemed to have stalled so cancelled, restarted and it immediately went back to where it had left of. Seemingly others have witnessed this as well according to one thread I found.

Downloaded the package on it's own and tried install that way but it gets to almost complete and then reports a failure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was the same behaviour I had - seemed to have stalled so cancelled, restarted and it immediately went back to where it had left of. Seemingly others have witnessed this as well according to one thread I found.

Downloaded the package on it's own and tried install that way but it gets to almost complete and then reports a failure.

I had an old copy of Netmeter (a monitoring app for network traffic) that I last used on a old XP machine. I wasn't sure it would run on Win 8 but it did and so out of curiosity I ran it to see what network activity was taking place while I was trying to do this update.

There was nothing at all while Control Panel was open and I just got fed up waiting and canceled the download and closed Control Panel down but left Netmeter running. Several minutes later I noticed there was a lot of download activity showing on Netmeter which turned out to be this mega Windows update finally downloading.

I did notice a major step up in speed half way through, don't know why as nothing else was going on at the time.

I opened up Control Panel again and it claimed 50+ % download though Netmeter was only registering about 30-40MB (out of 700+) so not sure if it part downloaded before I started monitoring and simply resumed or what. But it never got to 100% before the download seemed to stop and it started the install routine.

But after a rather longer than normal re-boot it claimed the update had installed successfully and the laptop appears to be running OK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are various reports that there is a conflict with the roll-up and Avast 2015 - is anyone else experiencing that same scenario?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm running Norton Internet Security, and haven't had any problems when it comes to updates. However, a couple of the updates in my list above have been waiting to install for a couple of months.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had terrible problems on a 2009 W7 Compaq CQ61 Factory Restore on my spare laptop this last week.

Factory Restore wasn't too bad but the Windows Updates were in batches and overall took 48 hours with end completed result being an unstable laptop. I'd removed Bloat with pcdecrapifier as well.

I did it again.

Frequent use of the Windows Update Fixit Tool, but it didn't help my batches.
    However, it should be tried if you are having problems (if compatible with W8)

Then I gave up and installed W7 SP1U from heidoc. Bugger the Factory Ssetup.

I have a nice well running laptop now, but haven't had the courage to update from the SP1U release yet.

(No AV installed or running during this)
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KB3000850
    Just using the Task Manager while that update was going on was enough. Initially thought it was 'stuck' but apparently not.

On Mine there was about 30 min of constant Hard Drive activity prior to starting the 712 MB download. Presumably some sort of preparation.

Then the 712 MB downloaded was started and supposedly 'installed', however after rebooting a load more updating % twirly things and automatic re-boots and black screens, it finally got back to the Desktop then another 30 min or maybe more of installing stuff, again indicated by the Task Manager HDD activity and CPU.

Well over an hour for the whole lot, worked fine after that so no complaints.

The Windows update progress bar did not indicate what was going on at all, the appearance was one of being stuck at like 0%, but it certainly was not as indicated by Hard Drive and CPU activity.

Biggies like this one and .NET Framework updates I always separate out as they take significant time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When I try to install KB3000850 through Windows Update, it stays on 0% downloaded for ages before telling me it's failed. I'm tempted to put the thing back to factory settings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    When I try to install KB3000850 through Windows Update, it stays on 0% downloaded for ages before telling me it's failed. I'm tempted to put the thing back to factory settings.

That's a bit drastic for an optional update.

However if the update is important to you, try downloading it direct from here (Scroll down to "How to obtain the update rollup" and select the appropriate package) and save it to your local drive before install it directly.
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had similar problems so downloaded it and ran it from a temp directory. After installing and rebooting there didn't seem to be much drive activity and menus unresponsive after the desktop had loaded, so tried to shut the laptop down but it seemed to hang one the screen had turned off. I'm trying to uninstall it now.
    Its flaky or is hanging the system for long periods.
    It would help if MS gave some clue as to length of time to install or if it will hang for hours on end. Its not helped by Toshiba not installing a drive activity LED, so once the screen blanks I have no idea if anything is happening. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    KB3000850
    Just using the Task Manager while that update was going on was enough. Initially thought it was 'stuck' but apparently not.

On Mine there was about 30 min of constant Hard Drive activity prior to starting the 712 MB download. Presumably some sort of preparation.

Then the 712 MB downloaded was started and supposedly 'installed', however after rebooting a load more updating % twirly things and automatic re-boots and black screens, it finally got back to the Desktop then another 30 min or maybe more of installing stuff, again indicated by the Task Manager HDD activity and CPU.

Well over an hour for the whole lot, worked fine after that so no complaints.

The Windows update progress bar did not indicate what was going on at all, the appearance was one of being stuck at like 0%, but it certainly was not as indicated by Hard Drive and CPU activity.

Biggies like this one and .NET Framework updates I always separate out as they take significant time.

In light of Helmut 10's post I'll leave it undisturbed for a few hours once its booted to the desktop and see what happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made no difference I'm afraid, so rolled it back.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our internet stopped working today for no apparent reason. Thing is, it only stopped on the two PC's I had updated yesterday - my wife's laptop (which had not yet had the latest update) continued to operate fine. One of the PC's kept popping up a warning about a 'MS client service' not starting.
    In the end I rolled back both the affected machines and they started working again.
    I think I'll turn off auto-update, most of the updates are unnecessary anyway.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Something destroyed my desktop;......Might just be a coincidence, updates went OK. Then it wouldn't shut down, just hung on the 'restarting' screen (left it for 2 hours). System restore doesn't work (at all), just wouldn't do a restore. Now I have a blank screen and no way of getting into anything.
    Tried a recovery disc that came with the PC, it keeps getting rejected or nothing happens.
    I'm fed up with it now, I'll leave it for a while to save me destroying it completely....>:(>:(:(
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Our internet stopped working today for no apparent reason. Thing is, it only stopped on the two PC's I had updated yesterday - my wife's laptop (which had not yet had the latest update) continued to operate fine. One of the PC's kept popping up a warning about a 'MS client service' not starting.
    In the end I rolled back both the affected machines and they started working again.
    I think I'll turn off auto-update, most of the updates are unnecessary anyway.

That reminds me of years ago when we had a Zone Alarm update on 3 machines, the first two lost the internet, a bright spark moment stopped me installing the update on the 3rd machine and so was able to find the cause and cure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Almost same thing happened to me when I tried to update recently. I left it for a few days and when it asked for another update everything is fixed. Hope yours gets fixed soon too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My own observations on the optional rollup.

I have Avast! and have had two BSODs since installing this but I also installed nVidia 344.75 at the same time.

Have cleaned and reinstalled 344.65 and my framerate at 1080p has been restored (was losing 20fps with the 344.75).

Had a KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE and BAD_POOL_HEADER which indicate driver issues but I think it's KB3000850 that's picking on it because the rollup includes software compatibility tweaks. If you already have the software, this may be why the rollup is a bit glitchy.
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are various reports that there is a conflict with the roll-up and Avast 2015 - is anyone else experiencing that same scenario?

yes there is a problem with people who have avast

from https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=160717.msg1153446#msg1153446

it looks as if its a conflict

go though the posts to see how others are getting around it

it took me ages and I still have the update showing a fail - I have not tried to remove Avast yet as it looks more trouble than its worth
  • Options
    Forum Member
    According to that thread, Avast have released a patch (still working on the patch for Business users, however) and the KB3000850 update is now going through.

Will try it tomorrow.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I think it was avast that screwed my machine. Now I can't get into it at all. Looks like it's booting then just stops and I have a blank screen. The mouse appears OK and moves around but I can't get into it. I've tried loading the recovery disc that came with it but that does nothing.
    At a loss now as to what to do next.