Options

Amy & The Astronaut...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
Forum Member
First off, long time lurker first time poster etc. the huge amount of speculation is too tempting so I'm finally out of the shadows. :p

Does anyone else think maybe two different timelines have now been established from the cliffhanger to The Impossible Astronaut? With the whole "Time can be rewritten..." concept being established, maybe it was always a pivotal moment to as whether or not Amy shot the little girl in the astronaut suit with regards to The Doctor's death?

It was always going to be that either Amy managed to kill the astronaut or didn't, and I'm under the impression that Amy actually *did* manage to do so at the finale to TIA, but now we're dealing with the timeline where Amy 'missed' shooting the astronaut? Or maybe with the whole wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey ploy Moffatt likes to utilise, Amy has to edit her timeline so she doesn't shoot the astronaut?

What makes me think so is...

1. The fact that we don't actually know what happened to the girl in the suit... when the credits opened to DotM we're 3 months into the future and we're dealing with the story not knowing what happened immediately after Amy pulled the trigger.

2. In my opinion, the throwaway line is Amy's encounter with the girl in the spacesuit, when she apologizes to her and says "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to shoot you... I'm glad I missed." Does nobody else find this a bit... redundant? Given the Doctor's reaction and it being the big climax to the story, she simply missed?!

I'm really not sure what's going on, but in my opinion I do find it a bit relevant. Sorry if it's not very well explained, I find it hard to keep up with the 'going back on timelines' concepts as it is sometimes, nevermind developing a theory from scratch!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    If you're right, this is a seriously complicated plot for the average viewer.

But this fits not only the strange list of oddities we've seen so far, it also ties into a possible clue that I picked up in the first episode and posted somewhere else on this forum.

I think there is a multiverse theme playing out here. By which I mean the 'many-worlds hypothesis' in quantum physics, which says that whenever an event can go two ways, both actually occur and the universe splits into multiple different versions, so that each possible outcome plays out in its own universe. As a result, there are an infinity of universes in which every possible series of possible events occurs somewhere.

There are lots of cases already in the first two episodes where there are two possible outcomes and both occur:

1) Amy is pregnant and she's not.
    2) Amy shoots the astronaut and she doesn't.
    3) The girl is alive (and out of the suit) and she's in the suit.
    4) The girl dies (why?) and maybe she doesn't.
    5) There's a hatch on the bedroom door. And there isn't.
    6) You see a silent and then it's as if you haven't seen him.

Why does the girl die? Perhaps because Amy shot her in the chest. But she also missed, breaking the face plate only. Both alternatives playing out.

The final hint for me, is in the name of their new companion, Canton Everett Delaware III. The physicist who proposed the 'many-worlds hypothesis' was called Hugh Everett III.

Your proposal seems to fit pretty well with this theory and explains a lot of the anomalies of the last two episodes.

But would the Moff inflict something this complicated on an unsuspecting public?

Dillows
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to just look at the death of the doctor. Moffat will NOT kill off the doctor on his 11th regeneration. A complex multi universe story is exactly the type of route moffat might be going down in order to bring Matt smith back from the dead.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A complex multi universe story is exactly the type of route moffat might be going down in order to bring Matt smith back from the dead.

Which wouldn't have been necessary if he hadn't killed him off in the first place for a cheap shock that fooled no-one.

Don't get me wrong; there was a lot about The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon that I enjoyed, but it was terribly smart-alecy, and I can't help feeling he's going to lose a lot of the audience with this kind of thing.