Options

Packed lunch advice, Sick of sandwiches

n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been eating sandwiches day in day out since I was in primary school, now at 32 I am totally sick of them and often just throw them out and go hungry so I need some other ideas?

Its tough as I dont have access to a microwave or kettle, it needs to be quick and easy. For tomorrow I have a fruit corner, an orange and a packet of crisps.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wraps are a nice alternative. Still a sandwich of sorts though. Warbutons sandwich thins are also nice.

Boxed salad.

Soup in a flask.

Gala pie / Pork pie.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Boxed stirfry noodles or pasta.
    I don't like cold pasta but I don't mind a cold noodle salad.

If you make a broth in a flask then you could simply pour it over the noodles to make a noodle soup or pho
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    I have had these a few times (when they are on special offer) http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/tinned_fish/princes_french_tuna_pasta_210g.html they are tasty and sometimes I make my own version.

Edit: forgot to say they don't need heating up and don't need refrigerating (although I keep my homemade version in a fridge)
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    I don't like sandwiches so I have:

- sushi
    - cold chicken pieces (like Mexican/ Tikka flavour) mixed up with couscous.
    - Tesco's ready-made chicken/ falafel and couscous salad box

They're all healthy, filling, and low fat. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Greggs :D Nice but im cutting that stuff out lately :p
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't eat bread anymore. Instead of bread we might have an omelette, cous cous, rice, pasta ...... All made very tasty of course by adding things like grilled chicken, tuna, hard boiled eggs, chives, onions, peppers, light mayo.

Sometimes I make a big tortilla with potatoes and red onion etc. allow to cool and cut into chunks ..... A big chunk of this and some baked beans or salad would do you several days.:)
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotch egg.
    I fill chilli wraps with beans and salad, or falafel.
    Bagels with different toppings.
    Rice salad.
    Mixed bag of nuts and fruit.
    Nakd Trek Bar.
    Pitta bread stuffed with grated cheese and coleslaw.
    Cornish pasty.
    Samosas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wraps are a nice alternative. Still a sandwich of sorts though. Warbutons sandwich thins are also nice.
    It does seem strange but a wrap or pitta can make a big difference.
    You may have spiced chicken with grilled peppers in a wrap and maybe chargrilled chicken with shredded cabbage and tzatziki in a pitta.
    Often combinations that possibly you wouldn't have in plain old bread. ?
    Also you could try changing the bread. Maybe a paninni and make a pressed ham & cheese or rye bread for a pastrami and mustard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waldorf salad
    Coronation chicken and cucumber pitta/wrap
    Tuna & sweetcorn pasta
    Pork & pickle pork pie
    Olives
    Chicken drumsticks
    Scotch egg
    Potato salad
    Tortillas with salsa dip
    Mini sausage rolls
    Plain boiled eggs
    Biscuits
    Mini cereals
    Cakes
    Tuc cheese crackers
    Mini baby bel
    Dairylea traingles
    Perhaps try a baguette or ciabatta roll instead of bread

Or anything you might find at a wedding or party.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't forget mini pepperamis and fridge raiders :D
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get bored with sarnies so I tend to have different things with them such as quiche or pork pie, having something different with them actually makes a surprising difference. Every so often I'll make myself a salad box up, basic salad stuff, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, spring onion, potato salad and then some nice chicken or some marinated king prawns with it.
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Put the fillings in crusty white bread rolls. So much nicer than soft bread! Also most supermarket deli counters have mini pork and pickle or pork and mustard etc pies.Crunchy whitish celery and baby tomatoes go nicely with the rolls and pies . Also mini quiches are delicious. Cooked chicken wings from some supermarkets (flavoured with lemon and pepper etc) are nice.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one's mentioned baked potato? OK, It's more a winter thing, but you can't beat a good baked tattie.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one's mentioned baked potato? OK, It's more a winter thing, but you can't beat a good baked tattie.

Except he doesn't have access to cooking facilities and a cold baked spud doesn't really sound appealing to me.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I get bored with sarnies so I tend to have different things with them such as quiche or pork pie, having something different with them actually makes a surprising difference. Every so often I'll make myself a salad box up, basic salad stuff, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, spring onion, potato salad and then some nice chicken or some marinated king prawns with it.

I was about to say this. Any quiche (whether home made or shop bought) is nice when left to cool.
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ryvitas with butter and cheese or whatever you want on. I get bored with sandwiches quite often but often find i am back on them within a couple of days. Fave at the minute is chopped pork in nice fresh baps.
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Do you have access to a fridge? If so, I would suggest cereal - a big bowl of Special K with berries, or Weetabix, with cold milk. I often have cereal for lunch.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Melba toast
    Crackers
    Oatcakes
    Crispbread

with

A variety of cheeses
    Deli ham
    Cottage cheese

add

Pickle/chutney
    Grapes
    Strawberries
    Cherry toms
    Slices of cucumber

Have a look on the GrazeBox website for inspiration, buy what you need in bulk in the supermarkets or health food shops and make up your own.

Buy a decent wide mouthed Thermos snack jar and fill with thick hearty soups, mac and cheese, stews, chilli, pasta dishes.When you're cooking a meal do a little extra for next day's lunch or cook in bulk and freeze in portions.