Can people suggest foods that would help burn off fat?

LeightonismeLeightonisme Posts: 232
Forum Member
I know dark chocolate and chillies help but I would like to know a few selections of foods for interests sake.

Comments

• lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can suggest coffee and tea; in very large quantity they are supposed to speed up your metabolism.
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Foods don't help burn off fat, it's all to do with your metabolic rate and your calorie intake.

All you have to do to burn fat is to ensure your calorie output is greater than your calorie input on a consistent basis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to take in fat in order to burn fat. You can't target fat either. It's very complicated. Anyone that tells you what you wanna hear is lying.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Green tea supposedly increases metabolism and I believe it does help. I needed to lose about a stone in three months to fit into my wedding dress. I drank about 4 cups a day, ate healthy and exercised about 3-4 times a week, in the end it fit perfect.

So eat your high metabolism food in a healthy diet, consuming less calories than you burn. Use this calculator to work out how many calories you need to burn, and use this (enter your daily calorie goals) to track your calories each day, making sure you eat the proper amount of carbs, Protein and fat, you WILL lose weight.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Ive always been told that ginger is good for metabolism. Their is an article here about metabolism boosters:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/120252-top-metabolism-boosters/
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Doesn't celery contain less calories than it takes to eat or is that a myth?
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Green tea
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    High Fibre foods. Makes you poop more. The more you poop the less you weigh :D
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Doesn't celery contain less calories than it takes to eat or is that a myth?

Yeah, that's a myth. A stick of celery has about 6 calories, but the body only needs about half a calorie to burn it.
  • LeightonismeLeightonisme Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Foods don't help burn off fat, it's all to do with your metabolic rate and your calorie intake.

All you have to do to burn fat is to ensure your calorie output is greater than your calorie input on a consistent basis.

Yes but there have been studies to show that the intake of such foods can help burn fat and reduce the bodies intake of certain minerals and nutrients like trans fats and such. These are the foods I would like to have more as part of my diet.
    Forum Member
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    I can suggest coffee and tea; in very large quantity they are supposed to speed up your metabolism.

I've started to drink a selection of teas such as Jasmine tea and red bush tea. I don't think it speeds up the metabolism that much it's more used as an anti-oxidant I think.
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    High Fibre foods. Makes you poop more. The more you poop the less you weigh :D

I've been taking bladderwack pills to add more fiber lol they're quite good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know dark chocolate and chillies help but I would like to know a few selections of foods for interests sake.

Almonds and other nuts (with skins intact)Build muscle, reduce cravings
    Dairy products (fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt, cheese)Build strong bones, fire up weight loss
    EggsBuild muscle, burn fat
    Turkey and other lean meatsBuild muscle, strengthen immune system
    BerriesImprove satiety, Almonds and other nuts (with skins intact)Build muscle, reduce cravings
    Dairy products (fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt, cheese)Build strong bones, fire up weight loss
    BerriesImprove satiety, prevent cravings
    Enova oil (soy and canola oil)Promotes fullness, not easily stored as fat
    Peanut butter Boosts testosterone (a good thing even in women), builds muscle, burns fat
    Fatty fish (such as salmon, tuna, mackerel)Trigger fullness, fire up fat burning
    GrapefruitLowers insulin, regulates blood sugar and metabolism; be sure to eat the fleshy white membranes
    Green teaFires up fat burning
    Chili peppersSpikes metabolism
    Spinach and green vegetablesFight free radicals and improve recovery for better muscle building
    Whole grains (quinoa, brown rice, whole grain cereal)Small doses prevent body from storing fat
    Beans and legumesBuild muscle, help burn fat, regulate digestion
    WheyBuilds muscle, burns fat
    prevent cravings
    Peanut butter Boosts testosterone (a good thing even in women), builds muscle, burns fat
    Fatty fish (such as salmon, tuna, mackerel)Trigger fullness, fire up fat burning
    GrapefruitLowers insulin, regulates blood sugar and metabolism; be sure to eat the fleshy white membranes
    Spinach and green vegetablesFight free radicals and improve recovery for better muscle building
    Whole grains (quinoa, brown rice, whole grain cereal)Small doses prevent body from storing fat
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Runner beans?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    BerriesImprove satiety, Almonds and other nuts (with skins intact)Build muscle, reduce cravings
    prevent cravings

Any evidence to back up those claims? A food cannot "burn fat" and I don't know why grapefruit supposedly lowering insulin is helpful unless you want diabetes. And how do wholegrains prevent fat storage?

People are always looking for magic quick fixes but in the end it all comes down to taking in fewer calories than your body needs, so it breaks down your energy stores (fat) to fix the deficit.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grapefruit I have been told.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any evidence to back up those claims? A food cannot "burn fat" and I don't know why grapefruit supposedly lowering insulin is helpful unless you want diabetes. And how do wholegrains prevent fat storage?

People are always looking for magic quick fixes but in the end it all comes down to taking in fewer calories than your body needs, so it breaks down your energy stores (fat) to fix the deficit.

I'd hazard a guess it means increases metabolism.

Anyway, all those foods listed are very healthy. I would say that eating all those with a calorie deficit would result in a slimmer, healthier individual with less cravings for sugary, 'bad' foods.

I always say if your plate is covered in naturally different coloured foods (fruit, veg etc)you are on the right track. If your plate is a mass of yellow and brown (chips, sausage rolls etc) each meal then there's a good chance it's not healthy :)
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prevent cravings

Er, what a load of cobblers. Also you've duplicated most of that 5 times!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guessing that's copied and pasted from here

Why not just post the link?
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Guessing that's copied and pasted from here

Why not just post the link?

God, what a load of crap in that article.
    Forum Member

Insulin helps the body store fat, it doesn't lower it it helps keep it on a controlled level.