Options

Joss Stone - where did it go wrong?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exactly.... ie 'fake' (or karaoke) she sounds right (vocal tone), but doesnt express soul. soul isnt so much a style of singing but an expression put into it.

I agree with this. She's a bit like soul music by numbers imo. She makes the right noises and hits the right notes but there isn't really anything more about her vocals.
    Soul isn't just about the voice and hitting the notes, it's about emotion, passion, bringing something from deep within to the songs and she just doesn't have enough of that for me.

You see old footage of Otis Redding live and he puts so much passion into his performances, that he is almost collapsing by the end of the song. Ok, people with THAT much soul are rare but there has to be some passion or it isn't soul for me.

And, for the record, I don't see Adele as soul either. She's too 'meh' for me. Amy I think had it though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Amy I think had it though.

Amy had the lifestyle to make her music believable, which Joss Stone doesn't. Also the material isn't really that great in my eyes, the soul sessions are covers so I don't really include them.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Postbox wrote: »
    Amy had the lifestyle to make her music believable, which Joss Stone doesn't. Also the material isn't really that great in my eyes, the soul sessions are covers so I don't really include them.

yep, completely agree :)
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    It was definitely the Brit Award thing. I was never really a huge fan so I didn't follow her career when she went over to the states. The night of the Brit Awards was the first I had seen of her in ages and when she came out I remember thinking THIS is Joss Stone?? Wtf? I think a lot of people agreed and there was a lot of backlash. Same with Jessie J.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I agree with this. She's a bit like soul music by numbers imo. She makes the right noises and hits the right notes but there isn't really anything more about her vocals.
    Soul isn't just about the voice and hitting the notes, it's about emotion, passion, bringing something from deep within to the songs and she just doesn't have enough of that for me.

You see old footage of Otis Redding live and he puts so much passion into his performances, that he is almost collapsing by the end of the song. Ok, people with THAT much soul are rare but there has to be some passion or it isn't soul for me.

And, for the record, I don't see Adele as soul either. She's too 'meh' for me. Amy I think had it though.

Otis Redding was Otis Redding this is not only a Soul thing. The same did Jacques Brel and he did sing Chanson.

It's the artist not the music style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMzAmrNS164
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Postbox wrote: »

Yep, I suspect that a lot of people got into Joss after hearing her on The Soul Sessions, but then weren't too impressed with her original material and so lost interest in her music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leecamowol wrote: »
    I never liked her there was something unlikeable about her and her oversinging at the end of Band Aid 20 really annoyed me off ... she was too much.

Her singing on the Band Aid 20 was embarrassing to watch and it just sums up everything I hate about about "good" singers who feel that they have to sing five notes where there is only one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her singing on the Band Aid 20 was embarrassing to watch and it just sums up everything I hate about about "good" singers who feel that they have to sing five notes where there is only one.

Didn't she only sing in the Choir?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dusty Springfield had an authentic soul voice. She was a white middle class singer from West Hampstead and Buckinghamshire and her father was a tax accountant. So I don't think your background counts an awful lot. She also went to live in the US, in the 70's, and adopted a tarns-Atlantic accent. It happens. It didn't mean she was in anyway less 'real'.

The only thing that really matters is how singers sound on record. No-one could beat Dusty.
  • Options
    DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever I hear or read about Joss Stone I automatically think of her tragic Brits appearance. Her mainstream career was instantly over after that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    Dusty Springfield had an authentic soul voice. She was a white middle class singer from West Hampstead and Buckinghamshire and her father was a tax accountant. So I don't think your background counts an awful lot. She also went to live in the US, in the 70's, and adopted a tarns-Atlantic accent. It happens. It didn't mean she was in anyway less 'real'.

The only thing that really matters is how singers sound on record. No-one could beat Dusty.

the difference between dusty and joss is that dusty understood soul, she had a passion for it, she could sing in a soulful way, she had more then just a vocal tone... so whilst she was a white middle class girl, the same as joss, her passion for black music gave her an insight as to what soul was about. so ok, class/ethnicity/background might not be necessary as a rule...but it helps and id suggest that dusty is an exception.

agreed, no one could beat dusty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there are a few factors which led to her becoming less popular.

1) When she left EMI, she no longer had the support of a major record label to promote her.
    2) The Brit Awards incident
    3) Sadly, people in the UK love seeing someone become a star very quickly but equally they love to pull them down and dissect them at the height of their fame. To name just a few, the same happened with Cheryl Cole (I'm not comparing her talent to Joss'!), Craig David, and is now happening, to a degree, with Leona Lewis.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the difference between dusty and joss is that dusty understood soul, she had a passion for it, she could sing in a soulful way, she had more then just a vocal tone... so whilst she was a white middle class girl, the same as joss, her passion for black music gave her an insight as to what soul was about. so ok, class/ethnicity/background might not be necessary as a rule...but it helps and id suggest that dusty is an exception.

agreed, no one could beat dusty.

There were a lot of things going on in Dusty's personal life that may have been reflected in the quality of the music, perhaps a little like Amy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbautz wrote: »
    Didn't she only sing in the Choir?

Yes, but what was so embarrassing was that while the other singers were just singing Feed The World "straight" so to speak, she was doing all of her vocal acrobatics over the top of them.
  • Options
    Natalie22Natalie22 Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Why are people saying "oh she lived in the US" as some sort of excuse for that ridiculous fake accent! She sounds extremely english now despite still living their so she blatantly put it on.

I still like her music, she has an incredible voice and i admire her for going it alone and going against the record label but i dont think anyone will take her seriously now.

Crazy how one public appearance can ruin a career!
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natalie22 wrote: »
    Why are people saying "oh she lived in the US" as some sort of excuse for that ridiculous fake accent! She sounds extremely english now despite still living their so she blatantly put it on.

I still like her music, she has an incredible voice and i admire her for going it alone and going against the record label but i dont think anyone will take her seriously now.

She lives in Devon and has for a few years whereas at the time she had been living in the states off and on for some time. and anyway her accent sounded trans-atlantic like mark ronson it was more the mannerisms and hippy dippy persona that i was more like WTF has she taken :D

And i know i mean i thought it entirely impossible to upstage Russell brand and his ramblings and on she waltzs :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but what was so embarrassing was that while the other singers were just singing Feed The World "straight" so to speak, she was doing all of her vocal acrobatics over the top of them.

Lol the 20th anniversary was really tame in singing opposite the original.

Not much of a fan of Joss but imo you exaggerating a lot for this song.

It seems a lot of poster here are exaggerating.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole song was a damp squib compared to the original IMO
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    There were a lot of things going on in Dusty's personal life that may have been reflected in the quality of the music, perhaps a little like Amy.

yeah, indeed, being a gay woman in the early 60's must have been a torment...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well im not convinced by her at all...pity..i do like her voice, but for me shes more karaoke soul then the real thing.

I agree with you. To me there was always something missing with her, a soul singer but with all the edges taken off in order to appeal to the mass market. She has a good voice but nothing going on behind it, I can't explain it but I'm a massive blues fan, and with those singers you can hear the pain and emotion in here voice. This wasn't the case with Joss it was all very.....sterile if that makes sense?

Its a shame, while not a fan I wish she has more success then she does when you consider how successful other female singers with far less talent have been.
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natalie22 wrote: »

Well, aside from the fact that it didnt though.

Joss Stone is still rich, is now out of the label she didnt want to be in, in a group with Mick Jagger among others, the last three albums put out by her (Superheavy (with Jagger et al), LP1 and soul Sessions II have all been very good, LP1 especially) and she has her own label imprint which has a group called Yes Sir Boss (who while not my cup of tea seem at least talented).

She may not be in the mainstream as much as she was music wise, something I attribute more to her falling out with EMI rather than anything else. But everything you see from interviews and everything, even if her mainstream career is "over", she clearly doesnt care and is enjoying how she is.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember whilst she was trying to establish herself in the US she went through a phase of putting on a cod American accent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    I agree with you. To me there was always something missing with her, a soul singer but with all the edges taken off in order to appeal to the mass market. She has a good voice but nothing going on behind it, I can't explain it but I'm a massive blues fan, and with those singers you can hear the pain and emotion in here voice. This wasn't the case with Joss it was all very.....sterile if that makes sense?

Its a shame, while not a fan I wish she has more success then she does when you consider how successful other female singers with far less talent have been.

indeed it makes perfect sense...

i too am abit miffed tbh, because i too would like to like her.... i just dont (so far).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »

I love Amy and Dusty, shows you need more then a good voice. They both knew how to project emotion in their songs. I can't imagine her singing love is a losing game with the same impact for example.

i think part of joss problem was the arrival of other female vocalists. When she first came out she didn't have that much competition, then when she artempted a comeback we were inundated and compared to them her material just didn't cut it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    The whole song was a damp squib compared to the original IMO

Even the original was terrible, hate that song.