Having just heard a Llama Del Rag song...

Comments

• SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M_Disco wrote: »
    Isn't she just big gimmick a la Gaga? Was going nowhere under her real name so a record label created a persona for her.

She famously got big with 'homemade' YouTube videos that went viral, and it was later discovered she had already been signed to a major and it was just a marketing strategy. Hey, fair enough, the ruse worked.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I love about that all the LDR haters is I could:

Put several 100 links to every great live performance she's ever done and they'd still drone on about the one bad one from way back when, like SNL.

Point out that she has done incredible live shows at the music festivals last year (that got good reviews actually) that I myself have seen her at (she was AMAZING), given flawless radio and TV performances from around the world to boot- they'd still go on about SNL.

Point out: Fact: She changed her stage name to Lana Del Rey in the last days of her Lizzy Grant album deal. And apparently really annoyed them in doing so cause they'd printed a load of artwork under the Lizzy Grant tag.
    Fact: The Lizzy Grant album didn't flop; it was never even fully released. She actually bought it off the record company she was with, and has so far put 2 tracks from it on Born to Die & the Paradise Edition. Lolita & Yayo, great songs.
    Fact: She made homemade videos, in the style of what she did with Video Games for years. She apparently just used to put them together on her Apple Mac at home. It had nothing what-so-ever to do with a Major Label telling her to do it that way.
    Fact: She released Video Games herself on the web because no record company was interested in it. They said she needed to do something dance based and up tempo. She proved them wrong.
    She is clearly one of the most self-made people in music today.

You can point out all that, they just ignore you and keep waffling on about how she's manufactured. Or its her Rich Dad, that's the other highly credible line. That despite only being a Millionaire, somehow had the Billionaire level spending to put her where she is now, which even Paris Hilton's father couldn't manage. Even though they can find no proof that actually proves this, it’s just true cause, well, they say so.

Point out albums wise she has done: 1. A wonderful Joni Mitchell/country style acoustic album under the name of May Jailer (her 1st known record), 2. The Lizzy Grant Album, 3. Born to Die, 4. Paradise Edition (of Born to Die) which was practically another albums worth of songs in itself. All superb.

Plus: Practically every other week tracks Lana has recorded in the past leak on the Web and by and large they are STUNNING. You simply can’t believe this stuff hasn’t made it onto an album. At last count Lana has done 100+ songs which is a formidable cannon of music by anybody’s standards.

They haters will still ignore this is and say she's only done 1 decent song Video Games. Even though they've erm, not actually listened to many or any of the others...

Funnily enough she sent up this line in her own lyrics on her track Ride with "I've been trying too hard, with one pretty song." She's taking the piss out of you me thinks!

And yet still they carry on, in their own little universe, ignoring all truth and fact all the way. Well trolls, I'll quote a Bond film of all things, but I think the line sums things up nicely "There's a useful 4 letter word beginning with S, and you're full of it."

And on that note I shall leave the dwindling near extinct breed of troll that dislikes LDR, to their highly credible ranting’s about how she doesn't compare to such all-time greats as Rachel Stevens. I know which I prefer! :D Good night and god bless!
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't heard one LDR song that I don't like. I don't go a day without listening to her. 'Never Let Me Go' may be the most beautiful song I've ever heard.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Put several 100 links to every great live performance she's ever done and they'd still drone on about the one bad one from way back when, like SNL.

Point out that she has done incredible live shows at the music festivals last year (that got good reviews actually) that I myself have seen her at (she was AMAZING), given flawless radio and TV performances from around the world to boot- they'd still go on about SNL.

Point out: Fact: She changed her stage name to Lana Del Rey in the last days of her Lizzy Grant album deal. And apparently really annoyed them in doing so cause they'd printed a load of artwork under the Lizzy Grant tag.
    Fact: The Lizzy Grant album didn't flop; it was never even fully released. She actually bought it off the record company she was with, and has so far put 2 tracks from it on Born to Die & the Paradise Edition. Lolita & Yayo, great songs.
    Fact: She made homemade videos, in the style of what she did with Video Games for years. She apparently just used to put them together on her Apple Mac at home. It had nothing what-so-ever to do with a Major Label telling her to do it that way.
    Fact: She released Video Games herself on the web because no record company was interested in it. They said she needed to do something dance based and up tempo. She proved them wrong.

You can point out all that, they just ignore you and keep waffling on about how she's manufactured. Or its her Rich Dad, that's the other highly credible line. That despite only being a Millionaire, somehow had the Billionaire level spending to put her where she is now, which even Paris Hilton's father couldn't manage. Even though they can find no proof that actually proves this, it’s just true cause, well, they say so.

Point out albums wise she has done: 1. A wonderful Joni Mitchell/country style acoustic album under the name of May Jailer (her 1st known record), 2. The Lizzy Grant Album, 3. Born to Die, 4. Paradise Edition (of Born to Die) which was practically another albums worth of songs in itself. All superb.

Plus: Practically every other week tracks Lana has recorded in the past leak on the Web and by and large they are STUNNING. You simply can’t believe this stuff hasn’t made it onto an album. At last count Lana has done 100+ songs which is a formidable cannon of music by anybody’s standards.

They haters will still ignore this is and say she's only done 1 decent song Video Games. Even though they've erm, not actually listened to many or any of the others...

Funnily enough she sent up this line in her own lyrics on her track Ride with "I've been trying too hard, with one pretty song." She's taking the piss out of you me thinks!

And yet still they carry on, in their own little universe, ignoring all truth and fact all the way. Well trolls, I'll quote a Bond film of all things, but I think the line sums things up nicely "There's a useful 4 letter word beginning with S, and you're full of it."

And on that note I shall leave the dwindling near extinct breed of troll that dislikes LDR, to their highly credible ranting’s about how she doesn't compare to such all-time greats as Rachel Stevens. I know which I prefer! :D Good night and god bless!

You know some people might just not like her music. Not 'Trolls' or 'Haters' or whatever the latest Internet meme is.
    I don't like her sound much and I've seen her live at the Scala over a year ago and I genuinely believe it was one of poorest live performance I've seen (and I've seen a lot of acts over the years, only The Shins were worse - where the lead singer turned up alone, because he'd sacked the band early in the day!!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LDR threads are always great comedy value :D.
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Lana, OP you're pathetic.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    LDR threads are always great comedy value :D.

Tell me about it. Never realised how riled up her fans could get.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    To the person who just spent time writing a long post in her defence,

I dont like her. Her voice, her songs. I appreciate shes successful but I find her dull.

Thats all.
  • georgebarnesgeorgebarnes Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    To the person who just spent time writing a long post in her defence,

I dont like her. Her voice, her songs. I appreciate shes successful but I find her dull.

Thats all.

OMFG RAAAGEEEE

You dont know the woman!! How can you say you dont like her, fair enough if you dont like her music but to not like someone you have never met is a vile thing to say because thats whats wrong with most people, be it a celebrity or not, hate people that judge..
    Forum Member
    OMFG RAAAGEEEE

You dont know the woman!! How can you say you dont like her, fair enough if you dont like her music but to not like someone you have never met is a vile thing to say because thats whats wrong with most people, be it a celebrity or not, hate people that judge..

Jesus, calm down.

When I say 'I dont like her' I mean her music. Im not a fan of her work. Its a turn of phrase.

I would also say 'I dont like One Direction', Im sure theyre polite young men but I would have thought its obvious Im talking about the package, the music.

Better?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Someone's pressed.

I don't like her music simply because it is beyond boring to me. Slow dreary songs can be great. Christina Perri has an album full of them, LDR is just boring and her sound makes me want to bang my head against a wall. It isn't about "getting" her or anything like that. I just don't like her music. It's really simple and can happen with any artist or any song. With Lana, I just haven't heard a single song that I would want to continue listening to.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't like Lana's music, fine nobody is putting a gun to your heads! I actually find you lot funny; it never ceases to amaze me how the seemingly inoffensive Lana gets to so many people gnashing their teeth together in rage. She's obviously doing something right!

No, what I object to is the babyish playground tone of "Llama Del Rag" (sounds just as unfunny as when Chris Moyle’s did a similar line back in 2012). Please do explain how some of the lines on here about Lana's appearance are anything other than trolling/cyber bullying? I fail to see how they constitute intellectual argument about the quality of her music.

Sorry but all that very much sounds like "trolling" to me.

And if I'm being overly defensive of her, you're being overly defensive of your right to troll. I see little or no intelligent commentary here, just a load of old tired lines us Lana fans have yawned at a million times before. None of you ever listen to the responses and just carry on with your own B.S. -which was actually the point of my original post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't like Lana's music, fine nobody is putting a gun to your heads! I actually find you lot funny; it never ceases to amaze me how the seemingly inoffensive Lana gets to so many people gnashing their teeth together in rage. She's obviously doing something right!

No, what I object to is the babyish playground tone of "Llama Del Rag" (sounds just as unfunny as when Chris Moyle’s did a similar line back in 2012). Please do explain how some of the lines on here about Lana's appearance are anything other than trolling/cyber bullying? I fail to see how they constitute intellectual argument about the quality of her music.

And if I'm being overly defensive of her, you're being overly defensive of your right to troll. I see little or no intelligent commentary here, just a load of old tired lines us Lana fans have yawned at a million times before. None of you ever listen to the responses and just carry on with your own B.S. -which was actually the point of my original post.
    Just to clarify, I wasn't being a troll or bullying when I questioned the term 'effortless beauty' being used to describe her. I'm not saying she is ugly whatsoever, but to call someone who has had work done an effortless beauty is a bit of a stretch. There was obvious effort put into her appearance to make her look as beautiful as she does now. Very few people are effortless beauties. Also, the OP made the thread specifically to talk about how he did not enjoy Lanas music. What did you expect when you say the childish and purposeful misspelling of her name?
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bar the OP, I don't believe anyone has commented on Lana Del Rey's physical appearance (in fact did he even say that?) and most people have said they accept that she's successful but that they don't appreciate her music.

I have listened to the full 'Born To Die' album and I liked 'Off To The Races', didn't mind 'Video Games' and found 'Born To Die' not bad. The rest I found dreary, boring and lacking charm or anything mildly appealing to me. Last time I checked, this is a free country and people are entitled to their opinions, fans who are massively into their favourite artist tend to classify anyone with a slightly negative opinion as a 'hater'. No, we're not all 'haters', we just happen to have a different opinion on Lana Del Rey to the fans, I'm sure she has had good live performances but I've seen several pretty dreadful performances she has had and you could post all the defences of every aspect about LDR until you're blue in the face, I don't enjoy her music.
    Forum Member
    I concur entirely with the previous post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Wow so rude, she delivers Million Dollar Man flawlessly live, I'm staggered that anyone would find her to be dull.... Have you seen the ride video??? Or video games? She's fantastic, I would say you are in the minority
    Forum Member
    Newtonsaid wrote: »
    Wow so rude, she delivers Million Dollar Man flawlessly live, I'm staggered that anyone would find her to be dull.... Have you seen the ride video??? Or video games? She's fantastic, I would say you are in the minority

Bit of research. 62 Million people in the Uk. Born to Die sold about 17,000 in the UK. Thats a minority.
  • sterock85sterock85 Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty hard to please but Lana struck a chord with me. I love her unusual live performances and her music has quite alot of depth that so many other artists seem to lack currently. The use of strings makes her songs really beautiful.

She seems like she could be an interesting artist to follow.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her iTunes festival gig last year was stunning. Even just watching it on tv you could really sense the amazing atmosphere. It is a myth that she is a terrible live performer.
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Bit of research. 62 Million people in the Uk. Born to Die sold about 17,000 in the UK. Thats a minority.

It actually sold 719,000 copies in the UK last year, and was the 4th biggest selling album of the year.

Your point is technically true, but it's also true to say she's a 'popular' artist in the UK.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    One look at the artists some of the posters on here slagging Lana off like should tell you it's a bit pointless trying to actually enter into a discussion about music with them. Plus a couple are plainly trolling. Sad but true.
    Forum Member
    gav016 wrote: »
    It actually sold 719,000 copies in the UK last year, and was the 4th biggest selling album of the year.

Your point is technically true, but it's also true to say she's a 'popular' artist in the UK.

Sorry. Typo. Still holds true though.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Her performance on Jools Holland singing 'ride' completely out of key was one of the worst I've seen on his show. Every bit as bad as Kimberly Walshs recent live attempts, which have been mocked (rightly).
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    Her performance on Jools Holland singing 'ride' completely out of key was one of the worst I've seen on his show. Every bit as bad as Kimberly Walshs recent live attempts, which have been mocked (rightly).

You mean worse than Debbie Harry singing Sunday Girl on the show in 1998? :eek:
  • Buffy AnneBuffy Anne Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    No, she's brilliant

This.

I absolutely and completely adore her. I've been listening to her unreleased songs recently and many are just as good as anything on Born to Die.

She blows me away.