Peaches Geldof dies from herorin overdose.

Comments

• anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is wine a drug? If it is, then yes, I admit to taking drugs :D

But to me, wine isnt a drug.

Cocaine IS a drug.

Yes it certainly is a drug, a mind altering dangerous substance, no question. Also if we aren't addicted then it's our good luck. People don't choose to be addicts. Rich or poor, parents or not. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crap.

I'ver never taken heroin but I cannot imagine that a glass of wine is the same as taking a line of heroin.

Absolute crap

Not crap, I assure you.:)
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh does anyone remember the twitter cat fight between peaches and lilly allen?

when she was accused of " pumping and dumping":

IMO, it was probably well known within private circles that she was still using.
    it also adds weight to the comment from her former nanny that said " she almost made it.."? Made what I wonder?

Even pumping and dumping is putting a baby at risk FFS>:(

What dos that mean?
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but I do not accept that wine vs heroin is the same.

Ridulous
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    malaikah wrote: »
    What dos that mean?
    Breast feeding , I think
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Yes it certainly is a drug, a mind altering dangerous substance, no question. Also if we aren't addicted then it's our good luck. People don't choose to be addicts. Rich or poor, parents or not. :)

But to have one or two glasses of wine a night isnt addicted!!!!
  • jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You said you didn't use drugs that's the point? Enjoying the effects of a couple of glasses of wine is no different to enjoying the effects of any mind altering substance.

Of course it is different. It takes a while to feel the effect of drinking, whereas the effects from drugs is instant.

Also one is banned the other isn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it is different. It takes a while to feel the effect of drinking, whereas the effects from drugs is instant.

Also one is banned the other isn't.

Sorry but I disagree. I'm also aware one is banned and one isn't.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/nov/02/david-nutt-dangerous-drug-list
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malaikah wrote: »
    What dos that mean?

Using a breast pump and disposing of the breast milk when a women has been drinking and there is doubt as to if the milk is clean (you are only meant to have one unit every two hours so if a woman drinks too much she will have to pump and disregard the the milk until the alcohol is out of her system)

Not sure how in Gods name it works with anything other than booze though!
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sorry for her as she obviously got involved with drugs and it became an addiction and she overdosed on that day and died
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but I do not accept that wine vs heroin is the same.

Ridulous

I don't think anyone is saying they are the same.

I think it's merely making the point that there are some people (and I am not directing this at you per se) who will sneer at drug use and drug users whilst indulging in drug use themselves. For me that's hypocritical.

There are sound arguments that certain legal (and lest we forget, taxed) drugs can cause just as much or indeed more misery/ death than some illegal drugs.

There is of course a sliding scale of risk for each and the classification differences between class A drugs and class C for example are there for a reason.
  • Merkin ParadeMerkin Parade Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    I feel sorry for her as she obviously got involved with drugs and it became an addiction and she overdosed on that day and died

Indeed
  • PlundermotPlundermot Posts: 281
    Forum Member

Well done, you (and I) got lucky. No need to be smug about it though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member

^^This
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'ver never taken heroin but I cannot imagine that a glass of wine is the same as taking a line of heroin.

Absolute crap
    I think that says more abut your imagination than it does about the facts.
  • Softie-CynicSoftie-Cynic Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    AOTB wrote: »
    There are sound arguments that certain legal (and lest we forget, taxed) drugs can cause just as much or indeed more misery/ death than some illegal drugs..

No there aren't.
    For a start one is legally supplied, the other is not so how can you compare the effect on the general population in that way?

Try thinking of the percentage of ALL alcohol USERS who suffer severe dependency and addiction vs the same for ALL heroin users.
    The latter group suffer far more.

Thanks but I'll take the glass of wine and continue looking down my nose at heroin users.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    It's only when things like this happen do I realise just how much misunderstanding of drugs and addiction there is about.

I don't know anything about the girl, I have sympathy only up to the amount I would have for any young woman who died and left children behind, for whatever reason.

But that part is not what I actually find most depressing.

Totally agree bex. I cant read any more of this thread.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No there aren't.
    For a start one is legally supplied, the other is not so how can you compare the effect on the general population in that way?

Try thinking of the percentage of ALL alcohol USERS who suffer severe dependency and addiction vs the same for ALL heroin users.
    The latter group suffer far more.

Thanks but I'll take the glass of wine and continue looking down my nose at heroin users.

I wonder what the consequences for this country would be if people could just go and buy heroin, crack, crystal meth or any other drug at the local supermarket.
  • miss_sassy1miss_sassy1 Posts: 437
    Forum Member

But people choose to take a drug and continue taking that drug until they become addicts.

Peaches did not become addicted to heroin after she chose to take her first hit.
    It appears that she went through a partying/drug phase then grew out of it ( like most people) For whatever reason, she chose to take heroin again, despite the fact that she had sole care of young baby, and despite the fact, that she knew first hand the dangers of drugs and earned a pretty penny writing for a parenting magazine in which she harped on about how great of mother she was.

She had the resources both financial and social to help her when she was in self destruct mode or feeling tempted, She could have called someone either professional ( nanny) or social ( friends/family) to take Astala whilst she needed sometime.
    She could got access to private psychological help, there are many options she could have taken. I don't see how anyone whilst having sole responsibility for a child could even contemplate taking drugs. Her husband was due home later that day.

A lot of people do not have all the options that peaches did. Consider for example a single isolated mother with no money, and more importantly no social support. if she was feeling tempted/down, she has no one to call or take care of her child. She could not book a taxi to go anywhere, or plan for a mini break, or even just a day at a spa to unwind. She maybe on a long NHS list to get help. If the daily mail reported her death a lot more people would condemn her and I doubt many will be making excuses for her.
  • miss_sassy1miss_sassy1 Posts: 437
    Forum Member

Not speaking about you personally, but I know so many people that do this for a treat .:confused:
    I really don't see the point of having one or two glasses of wine a night. It seems like a massive waste of calories and will have a poor effect of your skin. I drink wine with a meal ( if the wine complements the food ) but even then it is a few sips.
    I think most women would be horrified if they calculated how much of their calorie allowance is wasted via a daily glass of wine or two.
  • Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    I feel so sorry for her kids.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I find it difficult to sympathise with anyone who gets involved with heroin. I can't, for the life of me, understand why people go anywhere near it.

It's her family and children who I feel sorry for.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    It'd be interesting to see the difference in deaths for each drug, per user rather than total deaths. Far more people drink than do heroin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Every night?
  • blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sympathy is for her children.