Torchwood - Miracle Day - US Pace (8/7/11 on Starz)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed it once it started to get going. The first 20 mins or so were a bit slow, and I haven't warmed to the Americanisms yet, but I'll give it time.
    Jack using Owen's name was absolutely lovely but in that moment I longed for the original torchwood. A nice touch though for fans.

Also sorry if it's been asked but why was it only 50 minutes? Is ours a different cut or something or is it 50 minute eps and not 60 this time?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed it once it started to get going. The first 20 mins or so were a bit slow, and I haven't warmed to the Americanisms yet, but I'll give it time.

Also sorry if it's been asked but why was it only 50 minutes? Is ours a different cut or something or is it 50 minute eps and not 60 this time?

Starz productions vary in length but are mostly 50-59 minutes. Episode lengths vary between the two parameters even for the same show from one week to the next. Basically they have 59 minutes max to play with for every episode.
  • dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    I can imagine some Welsh viewers might be unhappy with the location descriptions. I wonder if those will be altered for the BBC showing. The show feels so much like an American show that it's likely to feel like an American import.

And therein lies the problem for me. The Americanisation has changed the show and it rarely feels like I'm watching Torchwood. I'd have considered that a good thing a few years ago but last series and a lot of the 2nd series were actually quite good and it's a shame that spark isn't in Miracle Day as yet. It's all slick and cool but it's lost it's charm along the way.

The premise is interesting and some of the set pieces were really nice but the episode dragged. Rex is unlikeable at this stage and it's hard to invest interest in this character at the moment.

Hopefully it's just first episode syndrome and things will pick up in subsequent episodes.

That was the biggest issue for me. I felt that it was mostly repetitive filler and the entire thing could have been cut down to 15 minutes
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,079
    Forum Member
    That was the biggest issue for me. I felt that it was mostly repetitive filler and the entire thing could have been cut down to 15 minutes

We have to cut it some slack being a first episode, especially one that has to introduce a new audience to the show. It did drag but let's hope that's just the introductions.

However, the premise, whilst interesting, hasn't really grabbed me as much as I thought it would. I think another poster hit the mark when they said (paraphrasing) "No-one seems particuarly amazed by the miracles". They are right. The characters just seem to accept it rather quickly and get on (CSI style) with solving the mystery. Very procedural, very matter of fact. The viewers aren't imbued with that sense of wonder either (at least I wasn't).
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Yawns! Can't say I was impressed. It was dull and I ordered some yeast instead and a couple of books for my Kindle until the end when Jack's cut didn't heal.
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    It was quite enjoyable, it isn't Torchwood any more, well, not the Who spin-off Torchwood.

It feels like they need to step up the tempo, and hopefully they will in the next episode.

It was good to see Jack again, but he felt a bit subdued? Perhaps that's just because of his circumstances, rather than any character tweaks.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    It's geo-IP blocked to anyone outside the United States. You would need
    access to a US based VPN or a proxy server to view that stream . . .
    Bunch of bloody *******. They have NO RIGHT!!!
    While I can agree with your sentiment, it has to be said that with the contractual obligations with the
    co-production partnership with BBC Worldwide and Starz, they have every right to geo-IP block it.

In fact, it's not that "They have NO RIGHT" it's more of a case of the fact that they have no choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    If the show hadn't come to the U.S., there would be no more Torchwood so I for one am glad Starz decided to make the deal with BBC. The pace was different for this episode, but remember those of us who met Jack in Doctor Who and then watched him as he grew and became Torchwood know a great deal more about him, Gwen and the organization.

My daughter watched her first ever Torchwood with me last night and luckily we could stop the dvr so I could explain some of the back story. I imagine RTD knew he would have to move more slowly for the US viewers who didn't have a Who fan in the room with them.

The show spent a few minutes trying to show reactions to the non-dying - cults forming, hatred for the undead, and fear over the consequences for the human species, but how much time could they have spent showing us how we might feel under those same circumstances and still do everything else in the first show.

I say we need to give it a try and then see if it turns out badly My daughter, on the other hand, is hooked and we spent a bit more time after the show ended talking about Torchwood's past.

For some reason this morning, every time I mean to write Torchwood, i put in Tou before I catch myself. Damn that silly little joke at the beginning of the show. It got stuck in my head.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing it's missing for me atm is an ordinary person so we can see the effect on them, iykwim - we have the Welsh contingent who are more than used to weird events, Jack, the CIA and someone who survived their own execution. We don't have Mr or Mrs. average - like Lois, or Ianto's family, or Jack's daughter in COE.
  • JGrayshonJGrayshon Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Part of it seemed like a low budget Horror movie, particularly the armoury scene with the music in the Welsh house and the plot premise of undead people does nothing to help but at least it doesn't involve lots of children saying "We are coming" (creepy).
    It also seems far too Americanised judging by the first episode, they might as well call it " Flashlighttimber: Harold Camping's Rapture Day".
    Slightly ironic when the American stole the Torchwood team at the end of the episode, as well as being a stereotypical "I'm an American and I'll do whatever I want" thing.

Still gonna watch it as it will probably get better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I loved the first 20-25 minutes of it, completely devoid of jack, with very little Gwen

Then jack appeared, stuff started blowing up, Gwen went all stupid & selfish - it became Torchwood, basically. That's the point at which I stopped liking it

Oswald and the Living Autopsy were the best bits. Hated the pointless jibes at the UK, and Rex randomly kidnapping Torchwood (& Rhys, let's not forget he's not part of TW).

will be interesting to see what the UK edit's like. I'd imagine fewer jibes about the UK, a less graphic autopsy scene, possibly a cut down execution scene and god knows what they'll add. Possibly Jack humping something or Gwen being a stupid bint.
    Forum Member
    Why do people hate Gwen so much? I have never ever understood it, I adore her character.

I just, don't see what's so awful about her?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I'd give you a list but it'd be way off topic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Why do people hate Gwen so much? I have never ever understood it, I adore her character.

Some people just don't like her .

i've tried to like her but to me she's too annoying .

Everyone is different and like different characters for various reasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it. It's very much the Torchwood of old, with all the creases ironed out and some bigger explosions. perhaps a hint of crime drama as well, but it's not so bad in small quantities. I also think it's great that it introduces Wales to an American audience - a Welsh friend of mine went over there and had to explain to every other person exactly where Wales was! Gwen is awesome as ever. Jack didn't seem to be playing the hero as much as before - but there's plenty of time for that. He looks noticeably thinner in the face, I expect he's been working out to have that "movie star" quality for an American audience. I felt like punching Rhys, but's that's a good thing because he played the part so well. I think I could warm to Rex and Esther.

I've a feeling that the next 9 weeks are going to be quite a treat.
    Forum Member
    Obviously yes people like different characters etc etc but sometimes it's like a ridiculous level of hate. It just seems silly to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously yes people like different characters etc etc but sometimes it's like a ridiculous level of hate. It just seems silly to be honest.

Agreed. I didn't like Gwen in S1 but now, I think she's awesome. The character has really developed.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was okay. Could have done without that Mekhi Phifer staggers out the hospital scene though. That was silly.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it
  • jayzee786jayzee786 Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the first ep now. Really cracked me up when Rex gets to the Severn Bridge Toll Booths :L

"Now what is this, I gotta pay for this" LMAOO
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty solid start to the series.

Is the whole point of Miracle Day to make Jack Mortal I wonder or is that just a side effect.
  • wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gwen is brilliant, it's Rhys I can't stand.

I thought the episode was good, not as americanized as I thought it would be, but I'm suppose I watch too much American tv for it to bother me. Wasn't keen on Rex but I am looking forward to
    Lauren Ambrose
    next week.

Will watch it again next Thursday, I'll probably end up watching each episode twice rather than deciding between them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I thought there could have been a bit more of the UK side of things shown, i felt it was rather slow to begin with and the whole episode should have been condensed into half of what it was and had rather more in it , in terms of what was going to happen, looking forward to episode 2 but still i think it was great towards the end !!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member

I don't hate Gwen. In fact, I could think of 20 things to do with her before lunch, but none of them would involve trusting her with my life and I'll bet her husband wouldn't like any of them.
  • MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it. Sure it was also an introduction episode for newcomers to the series but that was to be expected.