Wow George Clooney was really arrogant when it came to Princess Diana

loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Been going through some Old gossip news and footage for time pass as I'm bored lol, and I came across George clooney giving some sort of press conference about princess Diana's death, now fair enough I understand if elton John or George Michael or even tom hanks would give one because they were close friends but upon research clooney and diana never even met! I get people were effected by it but seriously who does he think he is, it really annoyed me for some reason :mad:. He's acting as if the world was waiting on bated breath for him to give his opinion, as if he was important to diana or her legacy.

http://www.nbcuniversalarchives.com/nbcuni/clip/51A3677_022.do

And then I came across this

http://www.nbcuniversalarchives.com/nbcuni/clip/51A3677_023.do

Basically saying that it was wrong if he didnt speak out. I'm thinking honestly yes her death was a huge deal and brought about many conversations about media, paparazzi and I feel that even Diana's friends remained quiet then who does he think he is?! I can Imagine william and harry feeling who does this movie star think he is. FYI George she hated being called di.

South Park were so right about his smugness.

Comments

• waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do get that it wasn't really about Diana it was about the Paparazzi hounding celebrity's,

If you were around when Diana died I think you'd find lots of people made similar statements, Including her Brother at her funeral.
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    loveloveX wrote: »
    Been going through some Old gossip news and footage for time pass as I'm bored lol, and I came across George clooney giving some sort of press conference about princess Diana's death, now fair enough I understand if elton John or George Michael or even tom hanks would give one because they were close friends but upon research clooney and diana never even met! I get people were effected by it but seriously who does he think he is, it really annoyed me for some reason :mad:. He's acting as if the world was waiting on bated breath for him to give his opinion, as if he was important to diana or her legacy.

http://www.nbcuniversalarchives.com/nbcuni/clip/51A3677_022.do

And then I came across this

http://www.nbcuniversalarchives.com/nbcuni/clip/51A3677_023.do

Basically saying that it was wrong if he didnt speak out. I'm thinking honestly yes her death was a huge deal and brought about many conversations about media, paparazzi and I feel that even Diana's friends remained quiet then who does he think he is?! I can Imagine william and harry feeling who does this movie star think he is. FYI George she hated being called di.

South Park were so right about his smugness.
    If I remember correctly, Clooney was at war with the paparazzi's and the entertainment shows that used pictures and video obtained from paps in the mid nineties.

Perhaps this is why he was asked to comment?
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, Clooney was at war with the paparazzi's and the entertainment shows that used pictures and video obtained from paps in the mid nineties.

Perhaps this is why he was asked to comment?

No he called a conference for that specific reason.

I understand people were talking about and her brother has an absolute right to talk about her as did other who actually knew her but he didnt at all.
  • Coma_WhiteComa_White Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    South Park was right? South Park was joking. He has famously appeared in South Park before - as Stan's gay dog and an ER doctor, two very self-deprecating roles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I understand people were talking about and her brother has an absolute right to talk about her as did other who actually knew her but he didnt at all.

Why would he need to know her to be able to make reasonable comments on what the press were and still do to people in the spotlight?
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Coma_White wrote: »
    South Park was right? South Park was joking. He has famously appeared in South Park before - as Stan's gay dog and an ER doctor, two very self-deprecating roles.

I think that poster got confused, IIRC it was American Dad that said he was smug and it wasn't mentioned in South Park. It may have also been mentioned in Family Guy too which is made by the same people
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The parody of Clooney was in the Smug Alert episode of South Park.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smug_Alert!

Here's the original Oscars speech on all its smug glory:
    http://aaspeechesdb.oscars.org/link/078-2/

The OP's reverence for Diana is a bit creepy, though. She was just a vacuous Sloane. At least Clooney has made a few half-decent films.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that poster got confused, IIRC it was American Dad that said he was smug and it wasn't mentioned in South Park. It may have also been mentioned in Family Guy too which is made by the same people

Yeah Francine wanted to get her own back on him :D
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    He meant well, but blaming the paps was misguided. If Diana had simply posed in front of the Ritz and given the photographers their pictures, they would have been satisfied and everyone would have been fine. It would have placed the situation under control. Instead, Dodi tried to play James Bond, using a drunk driver to race through Paris at insane speeds to stupidly hide from photographers even though he was with the most famous woman in the world, and it got Diana killed needlessly.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you sure he called a conference to talk about Diana, because that sounds like a wild interpretation. As others have pointed out, he is not talking about Diana, but the way she died, and why that happened. If he did indeed call this conference purely to discuss this, then it's is very clear that he is discussing the press/paparazzi, and not Diana.
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never knew about this interview but I've always found George Clooney smug, I just don't find him that good looking, he's not that great of an actor and people dribble over him, I ask myself why frequently

It's the way he comes across too, like he's untouchable or something ughh
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    He meant well, but blaming the paps was misguided. If Diana had simply posed in front of the Ritz and given the photographers their pictures, they would have been satisfied and everyone would have been fine. It would have placed the situation under control. Instead, Dodi tried to play James Bond, using a drunk driver to race through Paris at insane speeds to stupidly hide from photographers even though he was with the most famous woman in the world, and it got Diana killed needlessly.

Dianas manipulative behaviour with the press was th reason she died... sadly
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dianas manipulative behaviour with the press was th reason she died... sadly

Surprised the conspiracy theorists haven't spoke up yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Surprised the conspiracy theorists haven't spoke up yet.

oh yeah sorry... it was Prince Phillip and the guy in the white fiesta :p
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    It was a white Fiat Uno

Because when you need a robust, agile and reliable car for a top secret precisely planned assassination, you gotta go with a Fiat Uno
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically saying that it was wrong if he didnt speak out. I'm thinking honestly yes her death was a huge deal and brought about many conversations about media, paparazzi and I feel that even Diana's friends remained quiet then who does he think he is?!

Isn't that the british way? Keep a stuff upper lip and don't speak unless you're spoken to? Don't speak out unless you personally knew the individual involved?

In 1997 he was an actor at the peak of his fame and someone the pararazzi will have been very interested in over in America. Perhaps he had been involved in run ins with them and felt strongly about the tactics they'd used with him and what tactics they'd used with Diana on the night of her death. I don't see it as a problem that he spoke out. More people should have spoken out.. because nothing changed.

Yes he probably feels he's a bit political and likes the sound of his own voice but I think he made some valid points in suggesting the magazines and papers are just as much to blame for how the paps act as the paps are.