Do you want to go work down a coal mine?

2»

Comments

• towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Not for a million a year.

I come from a mining family and know what it did to my grandfather and uncles. My gradand lost a brother and his right leg in one accident. My dad only escaped as he was the youngest son and the local mine had closed by time he left school.

If the mines did open the only place they'd find workers is from eastern Europe. The youth of today are too soft.

So the youth of today are too soft but you wouldn't do it either.. :p

My mum's dad worked down a mine in the 40's and 50's and died from lung cancer when he was only in his 40's, though he did smoke as well, so a double whammy really. His own dad was a milkman but he didn't follow in his father's footsteps because mining brought in more pay.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Are we supposed to infer that the OP is suggesting Maggie did everybody a favour?

She did in the long run either way. It ended that horrible cycle of dangerous third world jobs for a lot of people. My family included, even though they claim to enjoy picking coal with their feet frozen to the ground. I'm glad she was somewhat redeemed before she died.
    Id be down a mine right now if not.

Coal sucks as a fuel source anyway for several reasons.
  • premixxedpremixxed Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do I get a pony?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    She did in the long run either way. It ended that horrible cycle of dangerous third world jobs for a lot of people. My family included, even though they claim to enjoy picking coal with their feet frozen to the ground. I'm glad she was somewhat redeemed before she died.

I guess her benevolence didn't extend to the French.
  • wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd only do it if absolutely desperate. Sounds like hell.

I don't really know the background to the closing of the mines. Were they uneconomic?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we supposed to infer that the OP is suggesting Maggie did everybody a favour?

In a way, the closure of the mines (and let's not forget that most of them had closed before 1979 anyway) did save a lot of lives. The call centres and retail parks that replaced them are much safer places to work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess her benevolence didn't extend to the French.

How do you mean?
    And why would that be a bad thing lol?
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member

No job or one that kills you? A difficult choice.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Back in the sixties mining (or at least tin mining which I did for a few years) was already considered so dangerous and unpleasant that declining work in one did not affect unemployment money. The mine I worked at, South Crofty, despite offering the chance to earn very good money in a county with high unemployment already seemed to have a lot of difficulty getting face workers and already had to bring in Polish and S African miners.

So perhaps not such a new phenomena?

Was that in Cornwall?
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »

Thought it would be when you mentioned tin mining, as I know Cornwall was the centre of that, and had the first steam engines, by Thomas Newcomen, to pump water out of shafts.
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What does that even mean, "third world jobs"? The 'third world' is an outdated term from the cold war to describe any country that wasn't either part of the 'first world' - the western allied nations - or the 'second world' - the communist/soviet block. It meant the non-aligned countries. It's not often used anymore because developed countries in South America, and Switzerland for example, have very little in common with developing countries like those in Africa. When it is used it's almost always used incorrectly to mean poor people, but this is the first time I've heard of such a thing as 'third world jobs'. (In the UK, no less!) :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does that even mean, "third world jobs"? The 'third world' is an outdated term from the cold war to describe any country that wasn't either part of the 'first world' - the western allied nations - or the 'second world' - the communist/soviet block. It meant the non-aligned countries. It's not often used anymore because developed countries in South America, and Switzerland for example, have very little in common with developing countries like those in Africa. When it is used it's almost always used incorrectly to mean poor people, but this is the first time I've heard of such a thing as 'third world jobs'. (In the UK, no less!) :confused:
    It's blatantly obvious what I mean, please try not to take everything so literally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That great Coal Miners Strike leader `Arthur Scargil` didnt fancy it...he spent 4 weeks down pit,and the rest of the time above ground :)
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's blatantly obvious what I mean, please try not to take everything so literally.
    I'd assume (if assume I must) that you meant jobs for poor people, or jobs for immigrants. That's nonsense, of course. And there are many other dangerous jobs (in construction, for example) that wouldn't be considered in those terms. So what are you saying?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd assume (if assume I must) that you meant jobs for poor people, or jobs for immigrants. That's nonsense, of course. And there are many other dangerous jobs (in construction, for example) that wouldn't be considered in those terms. So what are you saying?
    No I didn't mean that.
    I mean jobs that are dirty, dangerous and unhealthy and don't belong in a developed nation.

More developed nations tend to have better fuel sources, along with a better standard of work safety too.