Options

Can Russia Catch Us On The Medals Table?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Bester wrote: »
    Russian Sports Minister Comments

Apologies, it's the Russian Sports Minister's comments - although I doubt they're too far different from the comments of their IOC Rep.

Russian sports minister accuses Britain of unfair play at London 2012:
    • Vitaly Mutko: '[The British] are planning a happy end in boxing'
    • 'Three of our boxers have been prevented from reaching final'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/11/russia-accuse-gb-unfair-play?newsfeed=true

I have news for Comrade Mutko: The bias and unfair play only exists in his deluded imagination and the Russian boxers didn't get anywhere because they were losers - end of.

I hereby diagnose a severe case of sour grapes.
  • Options
    kibblerokkibblerok Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russian sports minister accuses Britain of unfair play at London 2012:
    • Vitaly Mutko: '[The British] are planning a happy end in boxing'
    • 'Three of our boxers have been prevented from reaching final'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/11/russia-accuse-gb-unfair-play?newsfeed=true

I have news for Comrade Mutko: The bias and unfair play only exists in his deluded imagination and the Russian boxers didn't get anywhere because they were losers - end of.

I hereby diagnose a severe case of sour grapes.

They only think that way because that's all they know. Russia is so corrupt from sports to business to politics they suspect it every time.

Russia has a massive identity crisis and a huge chip on it's shoulder it never seems to be able to shake off.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another stat:

In week one, up until and including 'Super Saturday' when Jessica, Mo, Greg, and others performed on that momentous Saturday night, Russia had only 3 Golds.

But in the last week (Last Sunday up until and including today) Russia notched up an incredible 21 Golds...In one week.:eek:

Fortunately we got 14 Golds in week one, and 15 Golds from last Sunday up until and including today.
    We were very consistent indeed.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Thanks - there's no criticism of the Gold medal table there though - just a hissy fit that their boxers weren't winning.

No, no criticism of the medal table, just the insinuation that somehow "We're as bad as the Chinese", whatever that means....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks - there's no criticism of the Gold medal table there though - just a hissy fit that their boxers weren't winning.

Didn't their wrestlers fail too, where they did exceptionally well in Beijing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't their wrestlers fail too, where they did exceptionally well in Beijing?

In part, it appears that other states like China, South and North Korea and Kazakhstan started taking gold medals from the Russians in areas where they were previously the best hence the great number of silvers and bronzes for Russia at London 2012. No doubt Putin's inquiry will cover how to improve in all those "lost" sporting areas so I expect a stronger Russian challenge at Rio 2012.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Putin will reassmble the USSR for Rio 2016

No one angers the Great Bear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In part, it appears that other states like China, South and North Korea and Kazakhstan started taking gold medals from the Russians in areas where they were previously the best hence the great number of silvers and bronzes for Russia at London 2012. No doubt Putin's inquiry will cover how to improve in all those "lost" sporting areas so I expect a stronger Russian challenge at Rio 2012.

Russia actually did better than they did in Beijing (23/21/29 compared to 24/25/33) so they don't really have anything to complain about - GB just improved a LOT more than they did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lumiere wrote: »
    Russia actually did better than they did in Beijing (23/21/29 compared to 24/25/33) so they don't really have anything to complain about - GB just improved a LOT more than they did.

As previously mentioned above, I don't think it was just Team GB that improved and quite a few other states recorded significant performance improvements as well which all helped to deny the Russians the number of golds that they would have liked/were expecting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As previously mentioned above, I don't think it was just Team GB that improved and quite a few other states recorded significant performance improvements as well which all helped to deny the Russians the number of golds that they would have liked/were expecting.

But Russia got more Golds, more Silvers and more Bronzes than they did in Beijing. I'm not sure how anyone can say they had a bad games?

The only reason they didn't come third is because Team GB performed exceptionally, not because Russia performed badly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lumiere wrote: »
    But Russia got more Golds, more Silvers and more Bronzes than they did in Beijing. I'm not sure how anyone can say they had a bad games?

The only reason they didn't come third is because Team GB performed exceptionally, not because Russia performed badly.

However, the combined effect of a number of countries' teams upping their game, including Team GB and the Kazakhstani Olympic team, meant that the Russians did not get the numbers of gold medals that they would otherwise have expected hence they ended up with a 4th place and not a 3rd place in the final Olympic medal table.

It is also worth restating that they failed to reach their own expectations in these Olympics, namely 25 gold medals and 3rd place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But Russia did better than last time.

There's always going to be angles, and sports which either do worse or better than expected, but the fact is that Russia improved over their Beijing performance. By about 10 medals worth and with an extra Gold.