Sex offenders registry

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
Forum Member
Sorry for obscure title, I'm not the brightest button in the box and couldn't think how to word it. I won't, obviously, name names or places.

I know of a man who is in the process of being charged with child abuse going back 20 years. Not recently afaik. He's admitted it and the police are building the case which could take another 6-9 months. This "man" is working as a taxi driver, his child has been removed from the family home due to, I assume, this case.

He will, again assuming, go on the registry and I know every is innocent etc etc but he's admitted all charges.

My question is, should he still be working as a cabbie?

Thanks for any advice and input.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the surface of it, he certainly shouldn't be doing school runs, that's for sure.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he's admitting to his offences why do the police need to build a case against him?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    On the surface of it, he certainly shouldn't be doing school runs, that's for sure.

Damn right. That's whats scared me too. I last saw him hanging around a taxi rank at 1am - lots of very drunk girls coming out the club.
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    If he's admitting to his offences why do the police need to build a case against him?

No idea. All the way through they've stressed how serious it is and jail time will be involved. Guessing its the slow arm of the courts?
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Trifle? wrote: »
    Damn right. That's whats scared me too. I last saw him hanging around a taxi rank at 1am - lots of very drunk girls coming out the club.

Well, not to defend this guy, if he is guilty, but as he's a cabby, there's nothing sinister about hanging around a taxi rank, surely? And there aren't likely to be any children coming out of clubs at 1 a.m., nor taking rides in his cab on their own.

If he's admitted the charges, he will be charged and given a prison sentence (hopefully), putting an end to his job. What more do you want done? :confused:
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    Well, not to defend this guy, if he is guilty, but as he's a cabby, there's nothing sinister about hanging around a taxi rank, surely? And there aren't likely to be any children coming out of clubs at 1 a.m., nor taking rides in his cab on their own.

If he's admitted the charges, he will be charged and given a prison sentence (hopefully), putting an end to his job. What more do you want done? :confused:

I don't actually know whether he does school runs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Being charged and being found guilty are two separate things.
    Forum Member
    I don't actually know whether he does school runs.

Why would he do school runs though? Is that normal for cabbies? (Genuine question - I have no idea how school runs work). And wouldn't that be an issue for the police to deal with? They would surely know if he came into contact with children as part of his job.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

Yes but admitting it means he is guilty surely?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would he do school runs though? Is that normal for cabbies? (Genuine question - I have no idea how school runs work). And wouldn't that be an issue for the police to deal with? They would surely know if he came into contact with children as part of his job.

It's very common round here. Many of the cabbies wouldn't work at all if the cab firms didn't have school contracts.

CRB checks are only of value on the day they are checked. If his offences have just come to light he may already have CRB clearance.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Were they children?
    Forum Member

It would kill me if he got off.
    There have been about 5 witness statements all backing up the initial accusation. Even from this guys family. We've been told jail will be expecting him.

My anger towards him is limitless. I could care less if he throws himself off a bridge or becomes some Top Dog's plaything. As a mother I would not want my children traveling in his cab. If I were someone else then I'd want to know.

Sorry if this upsets you all, I'm kind of a straight talking person! I was purely interested in whether he could drive a cab or have to inform his bosses.
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Were they children?

Yes. They were.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    Yes but admitting it means he is guilty surely?

Ah, OK, I missed the part where he admitted it. The point still stands though as until he is convicted then he is technically innocent in the eyes of the law.

A cab driver won't necessarily be deemed a high risk to children, unless he is doing the school run.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Under the terms of the license, the police may have an obligation to inform the licensing authority if they consider that people may be at risk if he was to continue cabbing! If his licensed has not been revoked, I'm sure that he is not considered a risk!
    Forum Member
    It's very common round here. Many of the cabbies wouldn't work at all if the cab firms didn't have school contracts.

CRB checks are only of value on the day they are checked. If his offences have just come to light he may already have CRB clearance.

Ah, right, OK.

In that case, OP, if you're worried, why not just ring the non-emergency police number and let them know that he is still working as a cabbie, although I'm sure they would be aware of this, if they are in the middle of proceedings against him.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given taxi licenses are handled by the local council, just drop them a note and i'm sure they'll pull his license in no time
    Forum Member
    Yes. They were.

Seriously? Drunk children, coming out of a nightclub at 1 a.m?
    Forum Member
    Seriously? Drunk children, coming out of a nightclub at 1 a.m?

Hilarious.

Thanks for the other advice, obviously legal means are better than a brick through the taxi office window! I think called the police with crime number should be my first call. It's been so hard supporting the ( one) person involved while wanting to kill.
    Forum Member
    Hilarious.

Thanks for the other advice, obviously legal means are better than a brick through the taxi office window! I think called the police with crime number should be my first call. It's been so hard supporting the ( one) person involved while wanting to kill.

I wasn't trying to be funny or a smart-arse! I just don't think that picking passengers up from clubs should be much of a concern, given that they are not going to be children. The school run issue is another matter, however. I do think a call to the police would be a good idea.
    Forum Member
    I wasn't trying to be funny or a smart-arse! I just don't think that picking passengers up from clubs should be much of a concern, given that they are not going to be children. The school run issue is another matter, however. I do think a call to the police would be a good idea.

That's ok :)
    I'm normally the first to laugh about stuff but yknow!
  • RoanRoan Posts: 3,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally, what should happen is if someone is charged with an offence and they have a notifiable occupation (which includes working with children or vulnerable people) the police will notify the persons employer of such a charge.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Given taxi licenses are handled by the local council, just drop them a note and i'm sure they'll pull his license in no time

Can they "pull his licence" without a conviction?
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Can they "pull his licence" without a conviction?

Probably as he'd fail a ECRB check now and it would be daft not to have certain conditions such as being able to revoke a license due to certain things like being a danger to children or other offences of a serious nature