BT Reveals 114 New UK Locations for its Superfast Fibre Broadband

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Glad to see Broadstairs is on the list :) and I don't want to get my hopes up just yet, but at the end of our road there are some orange barriers along the pathway with 'Contracting on behalf of BT Open Reach' written on them.

If there's anyone there, go and ask them!
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    If there's anyone there, go and ask them!

They were there while I was at work Thursday and Friday, but not today.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were there while I was at work Thursday and Friday, but not today.

Ah, okay.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    It's nice to be one of the first to get something for once. We only got ADSL in 2005 at the near end of BT's massive ADSL rollout.

As early as that eh? We didn't get it until mid 2006 and only then after we started a local petition. It seem to me that Cornwall is much better served than we ever have. Mind you we are not in a Tory shire or a LibDem area. :o
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    As early as that eh? We didn't get it until mid 2006 and only then after we started a local petition. It seem to me that Cornwall is much better served than we ever have. Mind you we are not in a Tory shire or a LibDem area. :o

Nah, That doesn’t help either. I’m in a Tory Shire with one of the most invisible/useless MPs around. Cornwall qualified for specific EU funding as a designated disadvantaged area. Devon where I am doesn’t even though I’d argue it is equally poor.

Latest from Connecting Devon is that everything is on track and they will commence announcing roll out dates in September 2012. So at least another year to wait to hear anything. Unable yet to give any indications on any exchanges.

Not quite sure what “on track and on target” means when they haven’t actually done anything yet.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to order the new Sky fibre service but its still saying its unavailable as does BT infinity.
    Does any one else in Clacton yet have fibre broadband at all?
    Also I don't think my road has a green box as the exchange is in the same road so does this mean we will have to wait even longer for FTTP to come?
  • liamhereliamhere Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i live in birmingham....uk's 2nd city and no plans for our exchange (kings norton) WTF???
  • matty1000kkmatty1000kk Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    I would like to order the new Sky fibre service but its still saying its unavailable as does BT infinity.
    Does any one else in Clacton yet have fibre broadband at all?
    Also I don't think my road has a green box as the exchange is in the same road so does this mean we will have to wait even longer for FTTP to come?

Nope still waiting here :-( The new green box is in place but I guess not connected and powered up yet. Try the Talk Talk fibre checker. It's telling me a go live date of October 2012.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    liamhere wrote: »
    i live in birmingham....uk's 2nd city and no plans for our exchange (kings norton) WTF???
    There's still time yet!
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope still waiting here :-( The new green box is in place but I guess not connected and powered up yet. Try the Talk Talk fibre checker. It's telling me a go live date of October 2012.

Just says Superfast Fibre Optic Broadband isn't available in your area yet

:(
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hexham?!

How did Hexham get it and Sunderland, pah.

My max speed is still a measly average 12mb (I got 17mb once, I assume everyone else on the exchange had a freak power cut)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Just says Superfast Fibre Optic Broadband isn't available in your area yet

:(

I checked Talk Talk and it says super fast will be available in October this year, although the Openreach site shows the Granville Road exchange as accepting orders. I'm on that exchange so hopefully it won't be long before it's offered by my isp.
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Hexham?!

How did Hexham get it and Sunderland, pah.

My max speed is still a measly average 12mb (I got 17mb once, I assume everyone else on the exchange had a freak power cut)

Measly? MEASLY?? I suppose it is in reality but that just makes my area's speed of 4mb look pathetic.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine goes live before September 30th, There's only one cabinet for my area luckily I live under 200 metres from it so should get good speeds (predicted 80mb/20mb currently), Will be nice as I'm currently on 7mb and about a mile from the exchange.
  • Phil SPhil S Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been said on here but I will say it again.

Just because your Exchange is on the list DOES NOT mean you will be able to get Fast Fibre Broadband from BT. You will get it ONLY IF they fibre your cabinet. They do not fibre all cabinets, only ones that are economically viable.

I am in London and my Exchange has been fibre enabled for 2 years but I cannot get it. I raised this with BT who said it is unlikely my Cabinet will ever be fibred because there are not that many customers on our particular cabinet.

Because of this I get my up to 16Mb Broadband at a ridiculously low price,:D
  • Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My exchange has now been put back twice, originally scheduled for March now it could be anytime between now and September.a bit frustrating watching all the neighbouring exchanges get activated while Sudbury continues to wait. :(
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    satman17 wrote: »
    My exchange is been upgraded but I'm with talk talk will my increase? If not and cabs need to be put in streets will BT need to put in underground pipes to feed the fibre optics? Or do they have an agreement with virgin for sharing them?

When you see the new cab it means fibre is there. We were upgraded really quickly after the exchange upgrade which surprised me as in reality 'we' are a small village; sometimes I think its just pure luck as to when you get the upgraded cabs.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Phil S wrote: »
    It has been said on here but I will say it again.

Just because your Exchange is on the list DOES NOT mean you will be able to get Fast Fibre Broadband from BT. You will get it ONLY IF they fibre your cabinet. They do not fibre all cabinets, only ones that are economically viable.

I am in London and my Exchange has been fibre enabled for 2 years but I cannot get it. I raised this with BT who said it is unlikely my Cabinet will ever be fibred because there are not that many customers on our particular cabinet.

Because of this I get my up to 16Mb Broadband at a ridiculously low price,:D

They will have to fibre some Cabs as what they see as ''none economically viable'' as they would never reach the 2015 targets at this rate. 90% of the UK to have access to Super Fast broadband. Not to mention the massive amount government funding was really suppose help this problem.

''Forecast date: By end of 2013''
    I take If my exchange is done it could be mid 2014 to it's available with these comments. This one is ''future exchanges''

However It's likely in coming months I could be moving, and that location that exchange has this

December 2012 so again should I add few months on it. This is ''Coming soon''
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to see Broadstairs is on the list :) and I don't want to get my hopes up just yet, but at the end of our road there are some orange barriers along the pathway with 'Contracting on behalf of BT Open Reach' written on them.

Sunny Broadstairs was supposed to be fibre enabled in June 2012 but has now been put back to September 30th 2012.

Why?

Margate and Ramsgate was enabled as planned in June!
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sunny Broadstairs was supposed to be fibre enabled in June 2012 but has now been put back to September 30th 2012.

Why?

mine was put back 3 times, these things happen.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why?

I'm not far from Westwood Cross in Ramsgate mine isn't live until September 30th either :(
  • Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazed that Bishop Auckland, Newton Aycliffe, Eaglescliffe ect have Fibre yet Darlington a much bigger town isn't on any listat all can't work it out at all
    Forum Member
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    I'm not far from Westwood Cross in Ramsgate mine isn't live until September 30th either :(

I'm just off Rumfields Road near Asda and have just had a telephone call offering an upgrade to infinity.
    Engineer coming to install 29th August.
    Currently for speed im on up to 10mb and actualy get just over 9mb. The lady on the phone says it will go upto 60mb.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,572
    Forum Member
    I'm just off Rumfields Road near Asda and have just had a telephone call offering an upgrade to infinity.
    Engineer coming to install 29th August.
    Currently for speed im on up to 10mb and actualy get just over 9mb. The lady on the phone says it will go upto 60mb.

Meanwhile 7 miles away and it chuggs along at 1.25 mb and there's no sign at all of the bits between the big towns of Kent getting anything........
    Forum Member
    Openreach engineer installed infinity this morning, rang just before 8am to say he was at the cabinet and will be with us shortly.
    Easy install of modem and hub as I already had a modem cable around the skirting board under the carpet into hub2 so just used that to connect modem to master socket so no extra wires needed.
    He did a test and was pleasantly surprised to say that I was getting full speed up and down rather than the 60mbs that was estimated :).