Brian opens up on his firing as BB host

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/i-embarrassed-fired-big-brotheri-3618786
"I was so embarrassed when I was fired from Big Brother...I actually found out from a newspaper"

Brian Dowling will present Sitting on A Fortune on TV3

Brian Dowling has revealed he felt embarrassed by the way he got the boot from Big Brother.

The 35-year-old has bounced back by landing a new prime time quiz show called Sitting On A Fortune on TV3.

But Brian, who is originally from Rathangan, Co Kildare, said finding out he was being unceremoniously dumped from the Channel 5 show through a newspaper taught him some valuable lessons.

Brian revealed: “ I couldn’t do anything for the rest of 2013 because I was still in contract with Big Brother – not that I needed to do anything because the job was so financially rewarding, I was very lucky.

“But I didn’t want to do anything.

"I get offered reality TV all the time – let’s just say I could have been jumping off a diving board in a pair of speedos, I could have been coming down the slopes skiing, I could have been eating crocodile testicles.

“But I was a bit embarrassed because I had been fired and because of the way it happened as I found out when a newspaper rang me.

“It wasn’t really until this year when I was hosting a live online entertainment show I realised I want to do stuff now where I can be myself.”

Brian said the support of his partner Arthur, his family and close friends, including Pippa O’Connor and Tess Daly, helped him to stay positive.

He admitted: “It was a lesson because I had never done a prime time show before and I was clouded in the fact that I had won Big Brother and had been crowned the Ultimate Housemate.

“I was the only Irish person to win and the only gay person to win.

“You kind of buy into all that but the reality is you are easily replaced, no matter what you do in life. No matter how well it rates, no matter how many times its No1 no matter how much publicity you get.

“And the lesson to me was don’t take things for granted – be grateful for every day you have.

“I am lucky I am in a committed relationship, I have great friends and great family who support me. So I didn’t cry about it, there were no tears – I was embarrassed but that was it.”

Of course, the man in charge of Channel Five at the time was former TV3 boss Ben Frow and although Emma Willis who took over from him said Brian was gracious when they spoke, it is clear the clumsy handling by both the station and programme makers Endemol did leave its mark.

Brian added: “I haven’t seen Ben since before it happened. I think he gave a quote to the paper but there was no contact with me at all.

“And – I’m going to have my Jennifer Aniston moment here – I think the way the whole thing was handled was a bit uncool. I think it could have been handled better but you roll with the punches and it makes you a better person.

“I have not looked back and thought, ‘Oh God I wish I was still hosting Big Brother’ because that’s part of the business I am in, you move on and do other stuff.

“I worked constantly before I got Big Brother and I have been working since.

“And now I have got this big entertainment show in Ireland and I am chuffed.”

In fact, TV3’s new boss Jeff Ford always wanted to get Brian on board when he took over.

And Brian’s delighted to have landed such a prestigious prime time slot as the programme is being made by RDF Television, the company behind Tipping Point and Wife Swap, with a view to selling it worldwide.

He said: “I worked with Jeff on Big Brother and he told me he was trying to get the right format for me.

“So he asked me to do a test for Sitting On A Fortune.

“It is being made by an English production company and because it is an original format I’m not taking over the show from anyone. It’s going to be my show with my mark on it.

“It’s Saturday night prime time entertainment so I am in my element.

“To do a prime time Saturday night show is a dream come true and I think I’ll be on just before X Factor so to be in that line-up is pretty cool.”

Brian will have €15,000 to give away every week and he’s looking forward to splashing the cash on deserving punters.

But he still hasn’t given up his dream of hosting a chat show.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Poor Brian :)
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    They should have had the decency to call him, but they were right to sack him. In fact, they were wrong to hire him from the beginning.

Brian has a massive ego.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shame he could mention his weak wooden performances which IMHO were the cause of him getting fired. This gig was made for Brian the problem arose without autocue he was like a rabbit trapped in the spotlight.

For such a naturally funny person he just became this cardboard cut out most of the time.
    It should have been Emma from the start with Brian doing BOTS
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel a tiny bit sorry for him but the fact is he just wasn't good enough he was as wooden as pinnocchio at presenting Big Brother his interviews with the housemates were just mediocre to the max.

He just doesn't have "it" as a host/presenter he shines as a reality TV personality but as a pro he doesn't cut the mustard.
  • VesnaVesna Posts: 31,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    They should have had the decency to call him, but they were right to sack him. In fact, they were wrong to hire him from the beginning.

That is terrible. The very least they could do is tell him to his face.
    Being fired is bad enough but to find out one's been fired via newspaper is very poor indeed. :(
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, he seems suitably sanguine about the whole experience and it is a pretty poor show to be sacked and not technically told in person.

I wish him the best with his new endeavour.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they should have had Marcus tell him over a loudspeaker , and given him a 10 second countdown .

• jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    even though he was crap, it is a bit unfair and mean that ch5 didn't tell him before it hit the papers. I must say I like brian and he was a brillant housemate, he was just shit at hosting BB
  • jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vesna wrote: »
    That is terrible. The very least they could do is tell him to his face.
    Being fired is bad enough but to find out one's been fired via newspaper is very poor indeed. :(

Exactly! Whether the firing was right or not is not really the issue. That is a terrible way to find out you have lost your job. At least they paid him to the end of his contract though.
  • Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    I hope he goes on I'm A Celebrity in November.
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    They could have called him to fire him, how rude off them to let him find out reading the newspaper.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    I think that he was extremely lucky, he is right.... as presenter it didn't work and was clear in C5 series 1. ...but C5 kept him on series after series giving him further chances to grow. If it was an american production team he would have been fired mid season 1 !
  • happybbfanhappybbfan Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    C5 treated him the same way they are treating their viewers it seems.
  • birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was treated very badly. Not telling someone face to face that they have lost their job is very cowardly.

However, he appears to have landed himself another great job and I wish him all the best with it. :)
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they should have had Marcus tell him over a loudspeaker , and given him a 10 second countdown .

I'd have more sympathy for him if he was poor but I'm sure he's very well off having earned far more for being a TV presenter than his talent deserved. He took advantage of the fact that it moved to CH5 and they were so cheap and umimaginative.
  • hornbeamhornbeam Posts: 9,483
    Forum Member
    I liked Brian hosting the show - its bad of them not to let him know.
  • honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    shame he could mention his weak wooden performances which IMHO were the cause of him getting fired. This gig was made for Brian the problem arose without autocue he was like a rabbit trapped in the spotlight.

For such a naturally funny person he just became this cardboard cut out most of the time.
    It should have been Emma from the start with Brian doing BOTS
    I think the problem was that he would have been better with no auto-cue and no script.

I am glad it has turned out nicely for him. Was he really the only gay person to win? :confused:
    Forum Member
    I think the problem was that he would have been better with no auto-cue and no script.

I am glad it has turned out nicely for him. Was he really the only gay person to win? :confused:

Yes. Him and Nadia are the only LGBT people to win C4 Big Brother I think.
    Forum Member
    Yes. Him and Nadia are the only LGBT people to win C4 Big Brother I think.

I think Nadia is heterosexual isn't she? So Brian really is the only gay in the winners village. :cool:
  • EddyBeeEddyBee Posts: 45,602
    Forum Member
    Brian should have been informed before the news of his sacking was made public. It's a disgrace that he was not.

Having said that, good riddance to him. He was an awful BB presenter.
    Forum Member
    I think Nadia is heterosexual isn't she? So Brian really is the only gay in the winners village. :cool:

Nadia is a transsexual, so she's a LGBT person. :p
    Forum Member
    Nadia is a transsexual, so she's a LGBT person. :p

Yes but not gay. Gender is nothing to do with sexual preference. :)
  • Paul254Paul254 Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The T is for trans
    Forum Member

What do you think the T stands for in LGBT? I never mentioned gay, I said her and Brian are the only C4 winners to be LGBT people. Although in C4 Big Brother near enough every housemate claimed to be bisexual...

Apparently it gave you a better chance of getting picked, in BB5 Jason said he put down on his form his sexual preference was bisexual to improve his chances of getting picked (he could have a romance with any housemate).
    Forum Member
    Paul254 wrote: »
    The T is for trans

Yes. I know what it means but being transexual is not being gay. I mean, you may or may not be gay, same as everybody else, but having gender "reassignment" is nothing to do with sexual preference or being gay or not.

And as far as I know, Nadia is a heterosexual woman.