Is it possible to have a unique scary enemy?

ClackersClackers Posts: 628
Forum Member
✭✭
From NuWho, I would say the top 10 scariest monsters are:

10. The Flood
9. The Carrionites
8. The Clockwork Droids
7. The Gas Mask Zombies
6. The Scarecrows
5. The Foretold
4. The Peg Dolls
3. The Vashta Nerada
2. The Weeping Angels
1. The Silents

(notable mentions as favourites of mine: The Tritovores, The Sycorax, The Snowmen, The Headless Monks, and The Charrl from the Birthright novel)).

Virtually all of these have the potential to be recurring enemies, but as you can see, only 1 new entry from the past couple of seasons.

But it led me to think, is there any way we can have another unique monster/alien that is different to anything else we have seen so far in Doctor Who history?

Comments

• Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    The weeping angels would be my no. 1 but only if we limited it to blink.
  • ClackersClackers Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The weeping angels would be my no. 1 but only if we limited it to blink.

Yep, it's tough between them and the Silents, but I chose the Silents as number 1 because I do think the Weeping Angels are slightly overrated.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, The Flood need to be closer to the top and The Boneless deserve a place somewhere.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Nu Who, I think the Weeping Angels (Blink) and the Vashta Nerada (as an invisible swarm not inhabiting a body) are the closest.

In Classic Who, probably Sutekh, the Mandragora Helix, the Fendahl and Magnus Greel
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Half of that list is Moffat created, but didn't you know, Moffat ruined Who and needs to go? ;)
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Half of that list is Moffat created, but didn't you know, Moffat ruined Who and needs to go? ;)

Moffat is really good at coming up with great villains, most of the memorable villains are from him. However I think he sometimes wastes their potential, the smilers being one but most notably the silence.

The silence could of been stunning but I feel they got lost in a convoluted arc and were given a crippling blow by putting the kill on site idea into play meaning any human who comes across them in future episodes should try to kill them rather than be scared witless, spoiling future use. Also the idea of them always being on earth and shaping the human race didn't work for me, I see what moffat was going for the idea they have always been there but I wasn't really fond of that being on earth.

I think they would of been more affective in a two part story that was just about them say one set on some future human colony where the silence are manipulating things for their own end and when the doctor turns up and notices something's off because things don't add up right, which sets a chain reaction that leads to the silence accelerating their plans and go on a killing spree to reach those ends, causing confusion and conflict as the people don't really know what's going on as they keep forgetting about the monsters, there for they turn their attention and suspicion on each other and the doctor. The doctor saves the day but the silence are still out there and he only knows of their existence because of how they affected things he can deduce they were there from from the whole they leave behind but he can't remember interacting with them.

It leaves it open for future silence appearances, they are their own independent species, they manipulate they kill and you don't even know if they are there, they still have their fear factor rather than leaving them as glorified bodyguards that we should all be trying to kill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That post only makes sense to me doesn't it :blush:
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Gas-Mask Zombies freaked me out in series 1 !!
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,313
    Forum Member
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    Moffat is really good at coming up with great villains, most of the memorable villains are from him. However I think he sometimes wastes their potential, the smilers being one but most notably the silence.

The silence could of been stunning but I feel they got lost in a convoluted arc and were given a crippling blow by putting the kill on site idea into play meaning any human who comes across them in future episodes should try to kill them rather than be scared witless, spoiling future use. Also the idea of them always being on earth and shaping the human race didn't work for me, I see what moffat was going for the idea they have always been there but I wasn't really fond of that being on earth.

I think they would of been more affective in a two part story that was just about them say one set on some future human colony where the silence are manipulating things for their own end and when the doctor turns up and notices something's off because things don't add up right, which sets a chain reaction that leads to the silence accelerating their plans and go on a killing spree to reach those ends, causing confusion and conflict as the people don't really know what's going on as they keep forgetting about the monsters, there for they turn their attention and suspicion on each other and the doctor. The doctor saves the day but the silence are still out there and he only knows of their existence because of how they affected things he can deduce they were there from from the whole they leave behind but he can't remember interacting with them.

It leaves it open for future silence appearances, they are their own independent species, they manipulate they kill and you don't even know if they are there, they still have their fear factor rather than leaving them as glorified bodyguards that we should all be trying to kill.
    I agree with your sentiment, the silents could have been classic, but they were way let down by their story. In fact I would say even though Moffat can be credited in coming up with a lot of the good new who monsters, it was only really in the RTD era that he managed to introduce impressive villains with a good story to go with them. Since he took over he hasn't come up with as many new memorable monsters as before, and when he does, often doesn't use them to their full potential, or saddles them with dull or nonsensical stories, which is a shame because they then don't get the credit they deserve for the inventive idea that they are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with your sentiment, the silents could have been classic, but they were way let down by their story. In fact I would say even though Moffat can be credited in coming up with a lot of the good new who monsters, it was only really in the RTD era that he managed to introduce impressive villains with a good story to go with them. Since he took over he hasn't come up with as many new memorable monsters as before, and when he does, often doesn't use them to their full potential, or saddles them with dull or nonsensical stories, which is a shame because they then don't get the credit they deserve for the inventive idea that they are.

Yeah I agree the gas mask zombies, weeping angels, vashta Nerada and clock droids were dealt with more affectively than the silence, smilers, headless monks and the wisper men were.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gas-Mask Zombies freaked me out in series 1 !!

Yes! They were just the creepiest thing! That and whatever the hell stole to Doctors Voice in midnight. Eurgh gives me shivers just thinking about it. The whole thing ha an eerie sealed room mystery vibe.
  • ClackersClackers Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what monsters/enemies from the Tennant/MOFFAT era could be used in the Capaldi era?

The Silents certainly, with a good 2 parter.

Also the Peg Dolls would be pretty epic with Capaldi, preferably with the Celestial Toymaker as Christopher Lee.

Gelth? Tritovores?
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clackers wrote: »
    So what monsters/enemies from the Tennant/MOFFAT era could be used in the Capaldi era?

The Silents certainly, with a good 2 parter.

You'd have to come up with a new reason for the Doctor to fight the Silents.

They won't be trying to kill the 12th Doctor since Trenzalore is in his past and not his Future.

I suppose you could have Kovarian and the Silents set themselves up as rulers on some Colony planet somewhere and the Doctor goes in and tears down their world.