Options

87.5 FM, "Supreme", any ideas?

sleeper77sleeper77 Posts: 408
Forum Member
Hi, I am receiving a station here in Southampton today playing dance music continuously with no presenter or announcements. The RDS displayed "Supreme" & a phone or SMS number also appeared before the signal weakened again. Any ideas where this is originating from?

Comments

• Options
    oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Just a shot in the dark but could it be a car hands free unit being used to transmit music from a phone etc to the car system --- or even further.?
    Mine displays "Venturi" and also "In call" amongst other messages.
    I was driving home one night aimlessly zapping around the FM band and came across a "station" playing only Simon and Garfunkel --- until the car in front of me turned left !!

I'm miles away so don't know.
    Regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply oscar. It cannot be somebody's Ipod or phone type device as I received this all the way from work, along the M27, & then also when I arrived at home. I do get plenty of people's devices on 87.6 playing their own choice of music when on my travels for a few seconds at a time, gives a false expectation that I received another country.
  • Options
    FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a longstanding pirate on 96.1 in London called Supreme (S-Dance) that has been on air for over 15 years. Could be someone rebroadcasting to the south coast?
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the RDS-PS has a phone number, it's obviously a pirate.

Why not give them a call and ask?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FM_Bandit wrote: »
    There is a longstanding pirate on 96.1 in London called Supreme (S-Dance) that has been on air for over 15 years. Could be someone rebroadcasting to the south coast?

I noticed this when doing a Google search. I will check out the stream to see if it matches that from London.
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    If the RDS-PS has a phone number, it's obviously a pirate.

Why not give them a call and ask?

The number displayed for a few seconds only when I was driving, so I had no chance of noting it down or making a call.

I will keep monitoring this station. Maybe an RSL? Never heard one on 87.5, mostly they go on 87.7 or 87.9 in the Hampshire area.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sleeper77 wrote: »
    Maybe an RSL?
    A phone number won't fit into eight characters.

Presumably that means it was using a scrolling RDS-PS, which is illegal, so it's unlikely to be an RSL.
  • Options
    Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sleeper77 wrote: »
    The RDS displayed "Supreme" & a phone or SMS number also appeared before the signal weakened again.

Radio Frequency Leeds on 88.1 use to do this back in 2007 I think it was on and now Peoples FM on 104.5 does the same thing. Frequency was a lot better than Peoples is though. I always used to text the show when I was getting the Coastliner bus into Leeds and they'd mention about where I was going in Leeds and they told once said to me on air to vibrate the bus with the music.
  • Options
    max_dbmax_db Posts: 3,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a low powered pirate, been on and off for the past couple of years but the coverage has always seemed very limited.

It has nothing to do with Supreme 99.8 or S-Dance 96.1 from London.
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The clue is in the frequency, no legal station would be allocated 87.5MHz as it falls out of the broadcast band at the bottom end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    @max_db, timo_w2s, Jonathan1990 & Gerry1, thank you very much for the replies & suggestions everyone. I would also say it was most definitely a pirate. On the way back from work today there was nothing, so maybe a test or random transmission unless it goes on air again later this evening.
    Here in Southampton there was a pirate on 89.4 & 87.7 a few years ago which did not last long, which is the same for others as well in the past since it is not anything at all like London were they clutter the FM band so detection would be pretty easy. It is a case of stop soon before they find you. Don't know if this one was local but it had stable signal out on the road.
    Video here of what I captured yesterday when I got home...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Y45M8rZQ8
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky you, usually on a pirate station it's a continuous loop of shoutouts to their mates.