Options

New Companion Cast

Comments

• Options
    R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
    Forum Member
    Also Georgina Campbell from 'Murdered by my Boyfriend' could be a pretty good choice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    She looks too much like a Clara clone.
    I think she looks quite similar to Jenna too. Maybe it's the dark hair and the cheek bones. Of course it may not be her.
    It would be nice if they cast a blonde actress or black actress just to draw a real line under the previous companion visually showing the changes. It's been a while since Billie and Freema now

:confused: She looks nothing like Jenna. She's got much lighter, longer, wavy hair, lighter eyes, and generally does not resemble her at all!
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: She looks nothing like Jenna. She's got much lighter, longer, wavy hair, lighter eyes, and generally does not resemble her at all!

I did say she looks similar but I didn't say the same. Obviously without seeing her look for the show it is difficult to go beyond broad
    similarities right now.
    I'd like to see a more varied representation of different ethnicities and ages for companions. This world is a big place.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she looks quite similar to Jenna too. Maybe it's the dark hair and the cheek bones. Of course it may not be her.
    It would be nice if they cast a blonde actress or black actress just to draw a real line under the previous companion visually showing the changes. It's been a while since Billie and Freema now

How about a male? That would draw two lines under the previous companion visually showing the changes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some further names to throw into the mix...

Katie McGrath
    Joanne Froggatt
    Preeya Kalidas
    Dani Harmer
    Kara Tointon
    Dakota Blue Richards
    Nathalie Emmanuel
    Tamsin Egerton
    Daniela Denby-Ashe
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some further names to throw into the mix...

Katie McGrath
    Joanne Froggatt
    Preeya Kalidas
    Dani Harmer
    Kara Tointon
    Dakota Blue Richards
    Nathalie Emmanuel
    Tamsin Egerton
    Daniela Denby-Ashe

Forget Dani Harmer, she's pregnant
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »

So?

It might be interesting to introduce a companion who is pregnant at the start, besides which there are ways of filming that avoid showing the bump and practicalities of shooting etc can be arranged around due dates and necessary time off. Why do some people always assume pregnant women are suddenly incapable of doing anything? Some women are happy to continue working as long as they can and return to work as soon as they can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    So?
    So, with her pregnancy announced in January (and due sometime around August/September maybe), it is unlikely that she would want to be involved in the very hectic filming schedule over many long days (10 hours or more) whilst she is well into her first pregnancy (and before she takes maternity leave before and after the birth).

The character that she would be playing or whether I believe that pregnancy is a barrier to work (which I don't) has nothing to do with it. It's what is viewed as practical and safe for both the unborn child and the mother by the mother, and what is practical after the child has been born.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oh, I didn't know she was pregnant lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, with her pregnancy announced in January (and due sometime around August/September maybe), it is unlikely that she would want to be involved in the very hectic filming schedule over many long days (10 hours or more) whilst she is well into her first pregnancy (and before she takes maternity leave before and after the birth).

The character that she would be playing or whether I believe that pregnancy is a barrier to work (which I don't) has nothing to do with it. It's what is viewed as practical and safe for both the unborn child and the mother by the mother, and what is practical after the child has been born.

Good. We're agreed then. It's up to the mother-to-be.

It's not what was implied by your first post. "Forget Dani Harmer, she's pregnant"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good. We're agreed then. It's up to the mother-to-be.

It's not what was implied by your first post.

I did not think that I had to underline that point, I assumed (wrongly it would appear) that such a point would be pretty much self-evident, especially considering the timing of both events.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did not think that I had to underline that point, I assumed (wrongly it would appear) that such a point would be pretty much self-evident, especially considering the timing of both events.

I know nothing of the actress, let alone the timing of the event, so I hope you can appreciate how your first post came across. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know nothing of the actress, let alone the timing of the event, so I hope you can appreciate how your first post came across. :)
    I did check to date that this was announced prior to posting, so was well-aware of the likely time that she would be nearing full-term, and that this was her first child.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I did say she looks similar but I didn't say the same. Obviously without seeing her look for the show it is difficult to go beyond broad
    similarities right now.
    I'd like to see a more varied representation of different ethnicities and ages for companions. This world is a big place.

I don't think they look even similar.

Also I don't understand why the new companion needs to look completely different. It should be about the acting ability (hopefully the next one will be a big improvement on Jenna), and the storyline of the character.

We could say that one companion with long red hair followed another for example, but Donna and Amy were such different characters.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't act and have no experience of TV work but I'd be up for the role, I'm male and of South African/Indian descent, does that tick enough boxes?
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    I can't act and have no experience of TV work but I'd be up for the role, I'm male and of South African/Indian descent, does that tick enough boxes?

Sorry, but you also need to be pregnant.

Of course, the thing EVERY pregnant woman wants is to spend the pregnancy filming Doctor Who on a hectic, stressful schedule because being pregnant is EASY and taking on a boatload of extra work and stress on top of it is just a great example of GIRL POWER.

Men... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    How about a male? That would draw two lines under the previous companion visually showing the changes.

Hello I'm not against it at all but I remember reading somewhere that Capaldi doesn't want to seem like the old man unable to run down corridors in comparison if there is a younger male companion cast so I think its highly unlikely for his tenure ( long may he reign !) . Wasn't Harry cast for that reason when the 4th Doctor started I recall.

The implied wisdom I've read in interviews seems to be male doctor/ female companion works best despite our opinions
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    According to Peter Capaldi the new companion has been cast and it's possibly someone he's worked with before.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/19/doctor-who-peter-capaldi-reveals-the-doctors-new-companion-has-been-cast-5761486/

A name has emerged though nothing official yet.

It's April Pearson who was on Skins (as was Capaldi), no idea if they ever had scenes together though.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1535380/

Source for the name is the Doctor Who Zone twitter/facebook account.

https://www.facebook.com/DoctorWhoShow/

Even if it's not April we'll probably get the official announcement soonish.

Don't even know who April is. Was looking forward to seeing the third series of Skins, but stopped after I saw the official trailer for the third series, noticing they had ditched the original cast completely. That ruined it for me! :(

Chris Miles was my favourite character. He was great! :D

I'm sure I'll get to like April, though. I did get to like Jenna a lot, and I hadn't seen anything with her in before hand, apart from a few clips of her in Emmerdale on YouTube.
  • Options
    POTDPOTD Posts: 9,910
    Forum Member

A naked man would certainly be different :o

At some point it would be nice to have 2 unconnected companions again, a male and female. I can't see Moff introducing 2 companions in his last series though, that's something for Chib to decide.

Indeed, the big options to me are

1) If Peter is staying for S11, then Chib won't want to inherit a Doctor AND Companion, so the Companion is likely to have a short stay

2) If Peter leaves at the end of S10, then the new Companion will be there for the regeneration and S11
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    No way are we going to get just the Doctor and a bloke but we should for Capaldi's last series have a male companion added mid way into Series 10 to freshen up the dynamic and have him NOT be the love interest of the female companion.
  • Options
    Damon_PlemburyDamon_Plembury Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    No way are we going to get just the Doctor and a bloke but we should for Capaldi's last series have a male companion added mid way into Series 10 to freshen up the dynamic and have him NOT be the love interest of the female companion.

iTS NOT PETERS last series. Im so fed up of the constant 'when are they leaving posts'

Why can't you enjoy what we have
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    POTD wrote: »
    A naked man would certainly be different :o

Nooooo ! The cringey scene of a naked Doctor in Time and the Doctor scarred me enough I think. No more, no more! :p
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    iTS NOT PETERS last series. Im so fed up of the constant 'when are they leaving posts'

You don't know that. Then again, neither do I but gut feeling tells me that Peter is more likelier to leave with Moffat than stay with Chibnall.

You can speculate about the show's future while still enjoying the present as well. I like Peter's Doctor but I honestly suspect that Chibnall's era will be a clean slate/fresh start in every way possible.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member

You can't say that for sure any more than people who think he is leaving can say that he definitely is. everything is just speculation and opinion at this point.

I generally don't think it's good for people to say 'when are they leaving' about a doctor when they've just started, but for one Capaldi hasn't just started, and secondly with all the changes happening for the 2018 series, there are tangible reasons at this moment why people would understandably speculate such a thing, rather than just for no reason, and it's no more or less of an educated guess to stay you think he is leaving than to say you think he is staying for now.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about this bloke then?

http://static.cinemagia.ro/img/db/actor/13/84/37/mike-bailey-949860l.jpg

He was in Skins as well. He played Sid who was always seen with a hat on. I think he would be a good choice if SM chooses a male companion.

:D