Do any anti aging products really work?

Already In UseAlready In Use Posts: 174
Forum Member
There are so many things out on the market - I just wodered if anyone had come across something that they think has either made them look younger or improved their skin?

Comments

• stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bloke but due to my poor skin have tried a few over the years that also have 'anti-ageing' uses..

Retin A works, though there is probably so little of the active ingredient (tretinoin) in those expensive beauty products compared with the actual stuff you can get from the Doctor.

It's meant for acne, but women have been using it for wrinkles and I have seen tubes of it sold for £80 online. I found a Mexican pharmacy that sold the gel for a tenner though. It will take a good few layers off your skin and is very painful to start with, you will go red and have to wear sunscreen.

It will also reduce moles significantly, I had a brownish one on my face and it all but disappeared.:)

The other thing I tried is Glycolic acid (skin peel) which is a fruit acid, you can get them on ebay for nine quid, they are also very good for removing the top layers of skin, you get several treatments in a bottle and once I was done there was no redness.

Tingles a little, but when your pores are as awful as mine you're willing to suffer. :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hi.
    i spent 85 quid on Creme de la mer Eye cream (15ml) biggest waste of money ever it did NOTHING what it said.
    im very impressed with 3 products that DO work.

the lancaster skin care range (can only buy from harrods) or on the online site works wonders,Also No Surgetics Wrinkle Defy by Givenchy comes in at 35 quid works well.
    leaves a lovely texture after about 4 days use and even works on puffy eyes etc.
    but my 100% must have is Guerlain issima Happylogy range the eye cream comes in at 34.50 this stuff is amazing say youve had a late night and youre looking rough next day spread this on within 20 mins youre face is feeling so cool,puffy eyes black circles it really does help.Guerlain also do an SOS face cream that comes in at 39.99 for 50 mls and this is a must have also it really grabs them wrinkles and owns them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »

The other thing I tried is Glycolic acid (skin peel) which is a fruit acid, you can get them on ebay for nine quid, they are also very good for removing the top layers of skin, you get several treatments in a bottle and once I was done there was no redness.

Glycolic acid is fab for brightening your skin and evening up the tone. It's the only thing I've ever used that I really would say makes my skin look younger. You don't need to use the hardcore 50% solutions though, you can get cleansers and lotions with 5-10% glycolic acid content and use them daily - I put a 10% one on overnight and do a 50% glycolic acid peel once a week.

Also, massaging your skin daily helps a lot - I used to use Eve Lom cleanser which you have to do a special lymphatic drainage massage routine with whenever you put it on. Well I don't use Eve Lom anymore, it's too expensive, but I still do the massage routine when I cleanse my face - am just using olive oil and rubbing it off with the Eve Lom cloths soaked in hot water & it works just as well!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TCA peels are good as well, you will need to go a few days without makeup tho and will look like a freak whilst your skin is peeling but after it has peeled you'll be left with baby-soft skin from underneath. **Always use sunscreen**
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried Strivectin and the RoC Retin-Ox products but they didn't seem to give any visble difference at all. Also Strivectin is greasy and expensive and the RoC products smell awful. I also tried the Boot's Protect and Perfect for 3 months but it didn't seem to have any effect.

After trying so many other products, I'm now convinced that there is no over-the-counter product that really works. I'm quite amazed companies get away with some of their claims. :mad:

The amount of "so called" active ingredient in over-the-counter products is really small (you can tell by how far down it is in the ingredients list) and there are about 50 other ingredients too! I started to worry about the cumulative effective of all these diverse ingredients (especially if you apply several different products on a daily basis).

Peels which take off the top few layers of skin certainly improve the appearance by giving a smoother surface. But since the top layers of skin are there to protect the underlying layers (where wrinkles are formed), I can't imagine repeated removal of them is beneficial in the long term. For a temporary improvement, a mild facial scrub (which only removes the top layer of dead cells) is good.

I know this is a cliché, but lifestyle has a significant effect on the skin's appearance. When I changed minor aspects of this (better diet, more sleep and drinking water) I noticed an improvement that I've never seen with any product applied to the surface of my skin. Although it won't remove existing wrinkles the overall appearance definitely improves.

Apart from that, and sun protection, I think the only skin products needed are a gentle soap, a twice-weekly facial scrub and perhaps an simple overnight lotion or serum just to keep skin moist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really sure what age one should start using anti age products. I am 30 and so far I don't have any wrinkles. Although, I have noticed that on my right eye the skin between my eyelid and eyebrow has started to lower a little (sag), this makes my right eyelid look smaller as it's a little covered by the skin above that appears to have dropped (sagged), hardly noticeable to anyone but me, but it is definately noticeable when I use dark eyeshadow as you can see that my right eyelid looks smaller than my left eyelid, if that makes sense!

Because of that, I have started to use the L'Oreal Revitalift Double Lifting Eye cream/gel, only on my right eye though! The gel (retautening) you use on your upper eye area (the bit I reckon sags a little) and the cream (anti wrinkle) you use below your eye. So far it seems to work, it does lift the area above my eye and make the whole eye area look more fresh and wider/open.

What age does everyone here think you should start using anti age products?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    They had a really illuminating article on BBC Breakfast this morning on this very subject.

The result of the investigation was that some creams might work, but it depends on your skin type and getting the right combination for your skin.

Brilliant. Where would we be without such incisive reports as these?

I've tried a few different creams, but can't honestly say I've noticed any difference in the appearance of my skin. I tried Clarins' Flash Balms (for face and eyes) after reading rave reviews about them from other women and I thought they were a complete waste of money. All they did was make my skin and foundation look a bit darker.

I did use an eye cream by Vichy a few years ago which I didn't think did anything, but a friend commented how smooth my under eyes looked compared to hers - but we were only about 28 at the time so shouldn't have had any problems anyway - and now that I could do with it, it seems to have been discontinued.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    I've tried loads over the years and think they probably don't really.

I think what's kept the wrinkles at bay for me has been regular facial excercises (see Carol Maggio) and factor 50+ sunscreen all year round (L'oreal do a great matt version, most high factors are greasy.

I've also read that sleeping on ones back so as not to scrunch face into pillow helps but I find this impossible to carry out.
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    As far as I know the only things that work are sunscreen (the best ones are European brands such as Bioderma, Avene, Vichy etc) and retinoids.