Is Nashville any good

Comments

• slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it will keep watching and see how it goes. Glad they are not miming its good to know they can sing for real.
    Yeah. Connie Britton's voice is OK rather than great but it's good enough for her to be credible enough as Rayna. I remember Hayden Panettiere during her time on Heroes saying she would like to expand her career to singing, and her voice is actually pretty good here - I thought Boys and Buses was terrific - and certainly holds up well against many of the autotuned artists who currently inhabit our airwaves.

Lots of potential here and some pretty well drawn out characters (and not just the two main ones) given that this was just the first episode.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I'm not a country music fan but this was pretty good. Soapy as hell but it's an ABC drama so I didn't expect any less.

The Rayna/Juliette rivalry thing is amusing enough, though I kind of don't know who to really side with. Juliette's bitchy but not that bitchy and Rayna does make some perceptive enough comments about the current music state.

I definitely think I'll keep watching. Liked Scarlett and Gunnar's duet at the end of the episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in love with Scarlett. She is gorgeous, and has a good singing voice.

She is good in her role. I find it interesting that the actress is actually Australian, and the actor that plays Gunnar is British. I wouldn't have guessed myself but I saw an interview on youtube and was pretty surprised :eek:
  • chandleochandleo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked it, absolutely loved the song at the end (do prefer the original by The Civil Wars though)

Had a good mix of drama, a few twists and turns, and above all enough to make me tune in again next week :-)
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A tad hackneyed for me: soapy stuff, the old Star Is Born thing, etc. But it's only the first episode so I'll give it another try.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    I liked it. Hayden Panetierre is one of the main reasons for me watching.
    Two good reasons to watch this....a sort of Dallas without the Oil, but with Big Tunes.;)

Liked the ending with Scarlett, Cinderella like, coming out of the shadows from being a Waitress.

But the Cheerleaders {Juliette} Mum; straight from The Walking Dead.:eek:
    Forum Member
    Juliette's mother did look zombie like to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed it, nothing amazing but watchable for now, loved the music. HDPQ was great as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Thought it was entertaining. Worth another go for sure!
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how Powers Boothe just plays the same character in every single TV show he does
  • player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little bit formulaic but watchable. The narrative has been told manytimes before, big country star on the wane, up and coming starlet etc. Also , shades of Dallas with JR figure to loathe, but since I loved Connie Britton in Friday Night Lights and enjoy country music so came to this expecting to enjoy and so far so good.
    great duet of Civil Wars song at the end
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Great plots and characters the only thing that ruined it for me was the singing.Over a good first impression
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Two good reasons to watch this....a sort of Dallas without the Oil, but with Big Tunes.;)

:

Exactly what I was gonna say! Just saw episode 1: Love it, especially the duet at the end of the ep.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In addition to my episode 1 review, I've touched on Nashville in my weekly Twitter-based column, not to mention Smash, American Idol and all the fuss over Taylor Swift at the Grammys - if anyone's interested, link below.

http://slouchingtowardstv.com/2013/02/12/tweets-of-the-week-american-idols/
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it and will be continuing to watch.

Given that Juliet is presumably a nod to Taylor Swift, who is Rayna loosely based on? I would say Reba McEntire, but I can't see Reba's empire being threatened just yet!
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This gets confuesing after watching Friday Night Lights!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    First episode was good and i love the music after it ended i went on itunes and bought a load of the tracks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    2 episodes in and I think I might be giving it a miss in the future(missus will still be watching it, though). Far too much relationship drama and 'Will they? Won't they?' for my liking :yawn: Obviously I expected some of this, but not quite this much. At the moment, it's like a grown-up Dawsons Creek with guitars.

It's a shame, because it has some very good actors and actresses, some decent music and a pretty unique premise(or so I thought).
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    I enjoyed it and will be continuing to watch.

Given that Juliet is presumably a nod to Taylor Swift, who is Rayna loosely based on? I would say Reba McEntire, but I can't see Reba's empire being threatened just yet!

I was thinking more carrie underwood than swift but probably could be a combo of the two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    I was thinking more carrie underwood than swift but probably could be a combo of the two.
    Hayden Panettiere has denied in interviews that Juliette is based on Swift, claiming that it's part her and part Carrie Underwood. I think Connie Britton has said that Rayna is based on a number of different signers, including Reba McEntire and Faith HIll.
    Forum Member
    There's a music video to Telescope ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReD8y8vpvSk
  • Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand most country music but love the duet at the end of ep 1. Like others have already said it's a bit Dallasy but also good. I shall watch it each week. I'd like to see Reyna eventually help Juliette tho they're on opposite sides right now.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This gets confuesing after watching Friday Night Lights!

Shame they're both on in the same week.
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been watching it at US pace and definitely feel it has picked up in the last few episodes. I hope it's not cancelled.
    Forum Member
    I never watched FNL but I did like Connie Britton in American Horror Story.