The Great British Bake Off - New Series in August

Comments

• Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    soulghost wrote: »
    Can't stand Kim and that fake grin.
    bratwurzt wrote: »
    There's something really annoying about Ruby's face.

Here we go again, comments on the contestants appearances rather than their baking.

Please leave the personal comments out
  • Options
    bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry Ruby, didn't realised it was you.
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bratwurzt wrote: »
    There's something really annoying about Ruby's face.

Now you've gone and done it.
  • Options
    SummeririsSummeriris Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    Here we go again, comments on the contestants appearances rather than their baking.

Please leave the personal comments out

They can't. It's just too much fun to say nasty things about people who are not present to defend themselves. Kim's smile lights up her face and her baking looks sublime. Ruby is exceptionally pretty and her baking also looks as good as she does. But why mention how wonderful their food looks and tastes according to the ones actually tasting it when you can make hurtful and untrue comments about their looks.. A little of the green eyed monster perhaps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Summeriris wrote: »
    They can't. It's just too much fun to say nasty things about people who are not present to defend themselves. Kim's smile lights up her face and her baking looks sublime. Ruby is exceptionally pretty and her baking also looks as good as she does. But why mention how wonderful their food looks and tastes according to the ones actually tasting it when you can make hurtful and untrue comments about their looks.. A little of the green eyed monster perhaps?

Clearly, they always say that we see faults in others that we possess ourselves....................
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    If I was around you it would be likely that you were a friend or colleague. I would therefore be very aware if there was something wrong (I'm an excellent observer) so I would be very helpful and sympathetic. I would be perfectly polite to Ruby if ever I met her and if I thought there was something wrong I'd listen but I know I wouldn't want to keep in touch with her.

I know what a simile is and that part of the post was not aimed at you. It was aimed at the other poster who said I couldn't read her like a book when I know I can.

We'll see how it progresses and when we reach the end it'll be interesting to see if she's still there and if she wins and then if she deserves to.

I'm never going to like her and I'm clearly not alone. We're going to have to agree to disagree.

Do you always make such black and white judgements about people you don't know? You seem to think you're very perceptive but you don't actually come across that way, you sound rude and arrogant from your posts.
    But I don't know you, so I can't assume you're really like that, can I?
  • Options
    SummeririsSummeriris Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone done any of this years recipes yet? The recipe is up for Christines Apple and Plum pie. I think I might try it this weekend. The grandsons would like it..
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry...Must have wandered in Big Brother thread by mistake.

*slouches out shaking head sadly*
  • Options
    BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Her Baked Alaska will be an actual scale replica of Alaska

When you cut open her Queen of Puddings, it will contain a real Queen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birdsworth wrote: »
    When you cut open her Queen of Puddings, it will contain a real Queen.

Has anyone done a four and twenty blackbirds pie?
    I'm sure someone must have done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Summeriris wrote: »
    Has anyone done any of this years recipes yet? The recipe is up for Christines Apple and Plum pie. I think I might try it this weekend. The grandsons would like it..

I am thinking about replicating the custard tarts this weekend. Whose custard tarts, I will not say until they come out of the tin.
    My variation is going to be 6 plain custard (maybe with a dash of saffron) and 6 with blackcurrant-flavoured custard, just as a test.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »

Last year someone did, I think.
    I remember it looking really good and I think whoever it was won Star Baker because of it.
  • Options
    PoppylenaPoppylena Posts: 119
    Forum Member

Somebody last year I think did something along those lines. Victoria possibly?

Ah - it was a cake and it was Victoria (picture )

I was hoping Frances would be a fantastic baker with the occasional WOW! bake. Instead she's trying to make every baker she can into a 'thing' so it's starting to get boring. We can't tell if/how much of a brilliant baker she is because all her efforts are focused on matching whatever her theme is. It's just a waste because I get the feeling that without all the faffing around she is a good baker.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Poppylena wrote: »
    Somebody last year I think did something along those lines. Victoria possibly?

Ah - it was a cake and it was Victoria (picture )

I was hoping Frances would be a fantastic baker with the occasional WOW! bake. Instead she's trying to make every baker she can into a 'thing' so it's starting to get boring. We can't tell if/how much of a brilliant baker she is because all her efforts are focused on matching whatever her theme is. It's just a waste because I get the feeling that without all the faffing around she is a good baker.

I agree. Sometimes less is more, and if she did the occasional amazing creation it would make people go 'wow'. Because she's constantly bending over backwards to show us how imaginative she is everybody just yawns now and thinks 'yeah, whatever'. Bad tactic, in my opinion.
  • Options
    PoppylenaPoppylena Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I agree. Sometimes less is more, and if she did the occasional amazing creation it would make people go 'wow'. Because she's constantly bending over backwards to show us how imaginative she is everybody just yawns now and thinks 'yeah, whatever'. Bad tactic, in my opinion.

It also means that if she does make it to the final, when the innovative ideas really count it's just going to be an anticlimax. Meh. *shrug*.

I'd also be bothered that the quality of her makes will be gradually worse as she has to put to much effort into 'one-upping' herself every week. She's set the bar too high and if she is not careful she may come a cropper. She'll contantly have to provide a brilliant bake with a brilliant design - poor bake and she'll get the 'style over substance' comments, poor design and there will just be comments how how it's a let-down after her previous efforts.

Paul especially is watching her closely and we all know how he feels about fiddly baking taking precedence over perfect baking.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Swanandduck2, when things are written down it's easy to misread them. I base my opinions on previous bad experiences and observations.

It's a shame some people seem on such a crusade to scrutinise comments about dislike of a contestant. Maybe they should be forced to explain why they like a contestant so much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a key point has been forgotten about here. 'm writing it in capitals to make the key point. I'm not shouting.

IT'S A BAKING SHOW!!!! IT'S A LOVELY TV SHOW WITH LOVELY HAPPY PEOPLE BAKING LOVELY TASTY THINGS FOR A WOMAN SO ADORABLE I WANT HER TO BE MY NAN. IT'S ABOUT FINDING THE BEST BAKER. REGARDLESS OF THEIR AGE, GENDER, APPEARANCE, SEXUALITY. THE CONTESTANTS ARE PEOPLE. REAL ACTUAL PEOPLE.

I think this has been forgotten. Also, what's to stop them coming here? Or their family? If your daughter was fair of face, a poor student and a good enough baker, would you want to see people going on about how they hate your daughter without knowing her, how they want to punch her in the face, etc? Would you want to be that person reading it about yourself?

Comment on the baking yes, but on their appearance? Just because someone looks like an ex, or you think you "know that kind of people based on how they look" - you don't. You know very little. You know only what the editors select for you to watch, you know only the info that is put out there by the BBC.

The nastiness makes this a pretty horrific place at times. Have none of you ever been bullied? It's disgusting to read some of the comments.

Just remember what it is ultimately. I'll stop ranting now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew someone whose daughter was in a business task related reality show. She is the most lovely girl, very bright, attractive, good fun to be around and we all (or should all) know how much these programmes are edited to make good television. Yet I was astounded and horrified by some of the comments about her that were made on here. Fair enough, criticise people's actions in the programme but the comments about her looks and personality were incredibly hurtful - not so much to the girl herself who tended to just laugh them off or chose not to read them but to her friends and particularly her family. I think people forget there are real people behind these programmes who are passionate about what they do.

I know there are those who get pleasure from criticism and being judgemental although I can't pretend to understand it. In any programme of course we all have our favourites but why the need to criticise people's looks, demeanour, personality? I love the GBBO and everyone connected with it for making me enjoy an hour of TV so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it's a baking show which I love. People were saying awful things about Brendan last year but I don't remember people defending him. Of course their family might come on here but they put themselves out for public scrutiny. They'd be very naive to expect everyone to like them. This is an opinion board so please let me have mine I'm not trying to change yours (or even questioning them).

Yes I have been bullied and none of what I have said constitutes bullying. For the record when I appeared on The Chase someone on Twitter said I should kill myself. Did I cry? Get her up or anything. No. I expected it because I'd put myself on telly. Water off a duck's back! Did I expect everyone to like me - no. Did I expect people I don't know to leap to my defence to a ridiculous degree? Not at all.
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry...Must have wandered in Big Brother thread by mistake.

*slouches out shaking head sadly*

Wondered the same too:( There are plenty of other threads to discuss stuff that has seemed to rear it's head on this lovely thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course it's a baking show which I love. People were saying awful things about Brendan last year but I don't remember people defending him. Of course their family might come on here but they put themselves out for public scrutiny. They'd be very naive to expect everyone to like them. This is an opinion board so please let me have mine I'm not trying to change yours (or even questioning them).

Yes I have been bullied and none of what I have said constitutes bullying. For the record when I appeared on The Chase someone on Twitter said I should kill myself. Did I cry? Get her up or anything. No. I expected it because I'd put myself on telly. Water off a duck's back! Did I expect everyone to like me - no. Did I expect people I don't know to leap to my defence to a ridiculous degree? Not at all.

I'm sorry for your difficulties but this thread is not about you, personalities or the way people look/are portrayed.
    I suggest that you venture over to the Advice forum if you want to talk about yourself and any issues.

This is meant in a kindly way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    I think a key point has been forgotten about here. 'm writing it in capitals to make the key point. I'm not shouting.

IT'S A BAKING SHOW!!!! IT'S A LOVELY TV SHOW WITH LOVELY HAPPY PEOPLE BAKING LOVELY TASTY THINGS FOR A WOMAN SO ADORABLE I WANT HER TO BE MY NAN. IT'S ABOUT FINDING THE BEST BAKER. REGARDLESS OF THEIR AGE, GENDER, APPEARANCE, SEXUALITY. THE CONTESTANTS ARE PEOPLE. REAL ACTUAL PEOPLE.

I think this has been forgotten. Also, what's to stop them coming here? Or their family? If your daughter was fair of face, a poor student and a good enough baker, would you want to see people going on about how they hate your daughter without knowing her, how they want to punch her in the face, etc? Would you want to be that person reading it about yourself?

Comment on the baking yes, but on their appearance? Just because someone looks like an ex, or you think you "know that kind of people based on how they look" - you don't. You know very little. You know only what the editors select for you to watch, you know only the info that is put out there by the BBC.

The nastiness makes this a pretty horrific place at times. Have none of you ever been bullied? It's disgusting to read some of the comments.

Just remember what it is ultimately. I'll stop ranting now.
    Please Mods- can we have this post as a sticky?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    I'm sorry for your difficulties but this thread is not about you, personalities or the way people look/are portrayed.
    I suggest that you venture over to the Advice forum if you want to talk about yourself and any issues.

This is meant in a kindly way

I never wanted it to be about me but people's unwillingness to accept the fact that I don't like Ruby has forced me to defend myself as they are defending her.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never wanted it to be about me but people's unwillingness to accept the fact that I don't like Ruby has forced me to defend myself as they are defending her.

Just leave it already then
  • Options
    Forum Member

Fair comment
This discussion has been closed.